Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dangerous backup cam freeze?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing against him or questioning him, it just doesn’t make sense to me. If he’s using the rear camera as his primary backup aid, as stated, and is moving yet not noticing other vehicles remaining static in the image then I don’t know what else to say... I imagine it wouldn’t only be noticeable but very disorienting, unless you’re not really actually paying attention.
when you are not moving - the camera image is expected to be static, aside from al the moving objects around you, of course. It's kind of a good idea to ensure nothing moves around before moving yourself, you know.

Yes I do look for that, if the vehicle is moving and the camera I'm looking at isn't I notice, and it's pretty obvious. Hell the leaf has 360 cameras and I notice when one of them doesn't sync up. I also still look in my mirrors when driving the leaf even though it has much better cameras than the 85 or 70d.

Well, I wonder if all of us would immediately notice the single camera stalling in slow speeds when your head is alternating between mirrors, quick glance at the camera, looking out the back, especially when the lines keep moving (it is probably easier to notice one camera stalling in a multi-camera image)...

However, in this case the lines on the camera did keep moving and the car apparently was stationary when the camera was used to check the surroundings. That indeed even you must see as a dangerous situation. There is no way to know the camera image has stalled if you are not yet moving, but are, for example, turning wheels (lines move) while stationary (image is otherwise no longer updated). You are looking at a stalled image of no moving cars, while behind you cars are maneuvering...

Obviously a parking maneuver consists of many checks (some of which did catch the issue even in this case), as it should, but any one of those checks giving false data certainly adds to the risks. IMO this definitely sounds like a dangerous failure mode.

Didn't you root your vehicle? If so, how can you be sure the problem isn't a side-effect of something you've done?

FWIW, my first camera issues in three years appeared in .46.8 (the version preceding .48). The camera finally stalled in a mostly white image which of course was easy to spot, but something new seems to be going on.

My car is not rooted, nor have I done anything to it beyond installing winter mats. :)

so I finally broke down and did a search, I am not the only one and the issue was seen some time ago, e.g. here: Back Up Camera----Frozen with an old pic | Tesla
also on TMC with less dangerous mode that matches my 2nd problem Rear view camera problems

What remains to be seen is if it really more frequent now. Hm... I wonder if it's also an ap2 artifact mostly due to the way the camera is connected now indirectly or perhaps google just prioritizes more recent links over older ones?

As an FYI, in aviation, a stuck image is way more dangerous than one that blanks out. You can say that it's obvious that it's frozen and someone should notice, but a century of aviation human factors experience disagrees and humans tend to trust what they see, especially if it's something you only glance at. In fact, if you're using the backup camera the way you should, it's pretty hard to detect it as frozen because you don't observe it long enough to realize it doesn't correlate with the real world.

New day, new fun.

IMG_20171212_162548-w2.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: daud
Just had a backup cam freeze in a very dangerous mode - first frame froze giving you total impression that you see a live picture.
Almost hit a passing by car because it did not show up on display. Anybody else had this too? This is on 17.48 release.

I had some other funky problems with the backup cam in the past, but never this dangerous, just bad picture (like really dark or wonky colors) or just no image.

This makes me wonder if the other cams are susceptible to this as well?

(sorry for the vertical video and the shakiness and all - caught me off the guard and vertical video is easier to show what's outside as well as inside ;) )

Same thing happened to me this week with .48... freezing randomly at times on old screen shots. A reset fixes it. I just went to Austin service center and they were amazing as always,(they may be the best service center in the country). I asked them to push a firmware update but just assumed they'd push .50 since it released yesterday, but I got home and realized once I installed it that it was still .48 and not .50.... and the camera froze green when I got home today, this time like verygreen. Dang! Maybe it's the christmas easter egg!

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I just had .48 pushed to me via mobile service tech. 3 hrs later as I left movie theater I noticed a frozen screen. I can see where something bad could happen as I didn’t realize screen was froze until someone honked at me. It was froze in position I parked my car so when I put in reverse the screen showed an accurate screen as far as location.

I just had .48 pushed to me via mobile service tech. 3 hrs later as I left movie theater I noticed a frozen screen. I can see where something bad could happen as I didn’t realize screen was froze until someone honked at me. It was froze in position I parked my car so when I put in reverse the screen showed an accurate screen as far as location.
that's the bug! perhaps someone like @JimmyD or @verygreen or anyone else out there can explain why software updates that are seemingly becoming more refined can have seemingly unrelated and arbitrary malfunctions in a piece of equipment that was working correctly previously? @lunitiks do you have any cycloptic cat analogies for ol' buttershrimp?

• Funny
Reactions: lunitiks
can explain why software updates that are seemingly becoming more refined can have seemingly unrelated and arbitrary malfunctions in a piece of equipment that was working correctly previously?
Because tesla has the best QA process for their software, I am sure.

Also I am sure it greatly helps that they have several versions of autopilot hw with multiple versions of cameras, camera connectivity, cid connectivity and such.

As for "unrelated" - you did not see that commit log and neither did I, it well could be they did work on some camera-related areas, but considered we don't really deserve to know about it (cue in the human centipede reference from the South Park - a show that is always spot on on every contemporary issue at the time of every episode release. And since Tesla is the new Apple of sorts, a lot of the old Apple references apply to it now.)
After all it is 17.48.47 internally, so there was at least some bit of iterative development I guess.

• Funny
Because tesla has the best QA process for their software, I am sure.

Also I am sure it greatly helps that they have several versions of autopilot hw with multiple versions of cameras, camera connectivity, cid connectivity and such.

As for "unrelated" - you did not see that commit log and neither did I, it well could be they did work on some camera-related areas, but considered we don't really deserve to know about it (cue in the human centipede reference from the South Park - a show that is always spot on on every contemporary issue at the time of every episode release. And since Tesla is the new Apple of sorts, a lot of the old Apple references apply to it now.)
After all it is 17.48.47 internally, so there was at least some bit of iterative development I guess.
Interesting. I like the Apple analogy, and you even found a way to get a little @lunitiks action in there with the human centipede reference.... nice. @verygreen, do you have a music request? Something for your trouble....

• Funny