Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dangerous backup cam freeze?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a backup cam freeze in a very dangerous mode - first frame froze giving you total impression that you see a live picture.
Almost hit a passing by car because it did not show up on display. Anybody else had this too? This is on 17.48 release.

I had some other funky problems with the backup cam in the past, but never this dangerous, just bad picture (like really dark or wonky colors) or just no image.

This makes me wonder if the other cams are susceptible to this as well?

(sorry for the vertical video and the shakiness and all - caught me off the guard and vertical video is easier to show what's outside as well as inside ;) )
I had this happen in my garage. The door looked closed so I "opened" it (actually I was closing it) and was ready to back out when my wife screamed that the door was closed!

Now, about those rear corner radars and redundancy...
I rented a Prius recently and the blind spot and rear obstacle warnings worked great and were very helpful! I only wish my MS did that. What is going on with Tesla that they do not address these basic safety aids? I love my MS but some of the poorly implemented or missing features are a real head scratcher.

Same thing happened to me this week with .48... freezing randomly at times on old screen shots. A reset fixes it. I just went to Austin service center and they were amazing as always,(they may be the best service center in the country). I asked them to push a firmware update but just assumed they'd push .50 since it released yesterday, but I got home and realized once I installed it that it was still .48 and not .50.... and the camera froze green when I got home today, this time like verygreen. Dang! Maybe it's the christmas easter egg!

Must be the season!
Our 2015 85D on software, 8.1 (17.42a88c8d5), installed on 28 October 2017, is just now started doing the same thing.
Alternates from a total grey screen to a total green screen. Our SC says to note the date and time and let them know.
And yes, a two fingered re-boot does clear it but I think our baby (at 22,000 miles) is having her first growing pain.

Just had this happen to us. Upgraded to 50.2 after the wide release a few days ago and hadn’t experienced any issues. Drove almost 300 mi with lots of stops in between yesterday. Wife and I did our annual brunch w/o kids, drove to 2 different places, then went to pickup kids and only then noticed after backing out of the parking lot, image was frozen with black strip across the top.

Sitting in the car as I write this after doing the thumbwheel reboot and the rear camera came back to life as normal.

I did a “report a bug” while it was frozen in case it’s helpful. (Probably not, but makes me feel like I did something.)

Just had this happen to us. Upgraded to 50.2 after the wide release a few days ago and hadn’t experienced any issues. Drove almost 300 mi with lots of stops in between yesterday. Wife and I did our annual brunch w/o kids, drove to 2 different places, then went to pickup kids and only then noticed after backing out of the parking lot, image was frozen with black strip across the top.

Sitting in the car as I write this after doing the thumbwheel reboot and the rear camera came back to life as normal.

I did a “report a bug” while it was frozen in case it’s helpful. (Probably not, but makes me feel like I did something.)
Just had a backup cam freeze in a very dangerous mode - first frame froze giving you total impression that you see a live picture.
Almost hit a passing by car because it did not show up on display. Anybody else had this too? This is on 17.48 release.

I had some other funky problems with the backup cam in the past, but never this dangerous, just bad picture (like really dark or wonky colors) or just no image.

This makes me wonder if the other cams are susceptible to this as well?

(sorry for the vertical video and the shakiness and all - caught me off the guard and vertical video is easier to show what's outside as well as inside ;) )
I had the video freeze happen again. Very dangerous! Almost backed into people in the parking lot. Might have done so but red pickup on the screen wasn't in the mirror :eek:... The image was from the last place I had parked!

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
Update - Just filed a NHTSA complaint. I've run out of ****s to give with Tesla. I've tolerated sunroof bugs, USB music bugs, AEB bugs, EAP bugs, blind spot monitors that suck, rain sensing wiper betas, and other stuff I'm probably forgetting. But this is the proverbial straw on the camel's back for me. Their software QA is absolute *sugar*, each OTA "update" seems more like a downgrade, and I have zero trust in anything they claim.

gotime.jpg

Update - Just filed a NHTSA complaint. I've run out of ****s to give with Tesla. I've tolerated sunroof bugs, USB music bugs, AEB bugs, EAP bugs, blind spot monitors that suck, rain sensing wiper betas, and other stuff I'm probably forgetting. But this is the proverbial straw on the camel's back for me. Their software QA is absolute *sugar*, each OTA "update" seems more like a downgrade, and I have zero trust in anything they claim.
I sent multiple in car bug reports and an email to Tesla. Tesla responded and told me to reboot the screen. This bug should be escalated so thanks. I just don't want anyone getting hurt. I now verify the backup camera is working before I use it. Haven't had the freeze but have had a blank image recently.

Hitting the voice feedback and filing a bug report not only takes about 10 seconds, but takes a snapshot of the system which gives a Tesla data to analyze to fix the bug. But, that’s just me.
The only info it gives tesla is that "yeah, that screen is blank/stale" - I reproduced one of those when a ranger visited me and that's what he told me.
I also shared a bunch of additional data I have and offered to share some useful ape snapshots, but he said he'd check with Engineering if they need it first, so far - nothing, so I guess they don't really need much debug info at this point.

Proposed fix? Order a replacement backup camera... (not that I have faith it would help, but I have no way to know now)