Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@hiroshiy , sorry you've experienced so many issues, let's see if we can figure it out. It might help to try the app out on a different device to see if you can reproduce the exact same issues to help narrow down the cause of these issues being device-specific.

1. The app crashing when going into the background is very strange. I'll put more error handling around things that happen when the app is moving to the background, but this is the first I've heard of this happening and I'm unable to reproduce it. Is there anything special about your device? Is it rooted? Do you have developer mode enabled? If so, have you enabled anything extra in the developer settings?

2. This sounds like your device entered doze mode, a new feature on Android 6.0+. Doze mode is a battery optimization setting that restricts network access in background services and apps to help conserve battery. To avoid this, you must disable battery optimizations for the app Dashboard for Tesla explicitly yourself. You can get to this setting easily by going to the Settings screen in the app and touching the Battery Optimizations menu option under the Background Services group.

3. Weird sleep behavior from the device or the car? If you have a smart charging location enabled, then every 15 minutes your device will poll the car to see if it's at an enabled smart charging location and if it's plugged-in before applying the smart charging logic. You'll know your smart charging location is active by a permanent notification in the status bar with the current smart charging status explained with times of interest.

Let me know if there's anything I can do, I notice you're in Japan so that very well may be a factor here as well.

-

For everyone else, here's a teaser (*subject to change):

automatic_behaviors1.jpg
Thanks for your help! My device is not rooted, I don't know how to enter developer mode and I searched in the control panel but this device doesn't seem to have developer mode... It is one of the latest Xperia devices. I think it is kind of popular. If you can give me any debug version or something I can try them to reproduce and help you collect crash data. Right now it is 100% reproducible.

2. I thought to disable battery optimizations, I just need to uncheck the box in the app. Now I clicked on the "battery optimizations" text, I can see Dashboard for Tesla under "not optimized" tab... What do I do here... Screenshot attached.
Screenshot_20170322-183121.png

3. Wierd sleep behavior of the car. My car now sleeps only for five minutes and come back to idle. I killed the task for Dashboard for Tesla on my phone but the car still wakes up after 5 min sleep. Does the server tries to call an API even though the app is not loaded/active?

BTW some people like me want to make the car sleep to save some power. API calls require the car to be at least idle (not sleeping). If you could do something to reduce API calls that would be great. I use TeslaFi to monitor sleep.

4. This is Japan specific but in Japanese cars (might be European too?) Rated and Ideal values are swapped in API.

Reactions: SG57
3. Wierd sleep behavior of the car. My car now sleeps only for five minutes and come back to idle. I killed the task for Dashboard for Tesla on my phone but the car still wakes up after 5 min sleep. Does the server tries to call an API even though the app is not loaded/active?

@hiroshiy There is no server for the Dashboard for Tesla app, the app communicates directly with the car from your Android device. So maybe you are using something else that is keeping your car awake. (Maybe TeslaFi is doing it.)

Reactions: hiroshiy
@hiroshiy , strange you can reproduce the issue every time? Does a dialog pop-up saying the app has stopped responding? Is there a menu option in this dialog for sending a crash report? I can view these crash reports if you are able to submit one. Does it crash when moving the app to the background from the sign-in screen? From the dashboard screen? Even when you aren't connected to a vehicle? Only when you're connected to a vehicle? Do you have any special features enabled (Smart charging, plug-in reminder, any widgets)? I guess I just need more help on narrowing down the crash, can you list your reproduction steps?

As @MP3Mike stated, Dashboard for Tesla performs all vehicle communication directly from your Android device, there is no 3rd party server involved. Special features, like Widgets, Smart Charging, plug-in reminder, camper mode, are performed in a background service, but this is local to your device and just means it will happen in the background whether the main app is active or not.

In order for the app to function and let you control your vehicle and view status information, the vehicle must be woken up. When using the app explicitly, this only happens when you connect to the vehicle in the Vehicles screen. Simply viewing your list of vehicles will not wake up your vehicle(s).

However, if you have any background services scheduled (Widgets, Smart charging, plug-in reminder, camper mode, etc.), then your vehicle may be woken up in order to perform those background services. This means the sleep pattern of your vehicle can be interrupted if you have a background service scheduled to communicate with your vehicle.

If you want to preserve your vehicle's sleep mode currently, you'll need to A) not connect to your vehicle when you sign into the app and B) disable all background services you have connected to the vehicle. This can be cumbersome, but these are all features you ultimately opt into by scheduling them (via adding a widget, or adding a smart charging location, or enabling plug-in reminder, or turning on camper mode, etc.) so it's assumed you want them to work, even if that means waking up the vehicle. Connecting to the vehicle when signing in is another step you opt into so it's assumed you want it to work, even if that means waking up the vehicle.

I could add a dialog that asks you to confirm your vehicle is sleeping and connecting to it will wake it up.

2. Looking at your screenshot, looks like battery optimizations are in fact disabled for the app. I suggest double-checking the Settings screen in the Dashboard for Tesla app for the Battery Optimizations menu item and ensure the checkbox is unchecked. This means the battery optimizations for the app are disabled, which is what we want in order for background services to work properly when the device is sleeping. If you uninstall/reinstall the app, you will have to re-disable battery optimizations for the app. You may have to reboot your device in order for the battery optimizations change to take effect, but this varies from device to device.

4. Why oh why would Tesla swap rated and ideal values in the API depending on the EU status of the car? If that is true, that is a pain and I'll need to asses the impacts that would have.

Under the climate tab, I wish I could click on the seat heater and turn them on. When I'm in the car, it's A/C all the time (Texas!), however when my wife is riding she wants a pre-warmed seat (with A/C - go figure). It would be nice if I could remotely toggle at least the passenger seat heater.

Hopefully, this is a feature request and not something I've overlooked to click on.

Can you tell me why sometimes the app will display the temp in the car and sometimes the temp is blank?

The car doesn't report the inside temperature unless the HVAC is running. So if you open the app while the car is just parked and idle, there is no data. Once you turn on the AC (via app) the temperature inside the car is available.

Under the climate tab, I wish I could click on the seat heater and turn them on. When I'm in the car, it's A/C all the time (Texas!), however when my wife is riding she wants a pre-warmed seat (with A/C - go figure). It would be nice if I could remotely toggle at least the passenger seat heater.

Hopefully, this is a feature request and not something I've overlooked to click on.

Unfortunately Tesla only has a limited number of commands. Turning on/off seat heater is not a command that Tesla has available.

Good to know I can just leave it to @David99 to answer questions and I can stay focused on development! ;)

@beths11 , as @David99 said, the reason temperatures sometimes report empty (- F/C) is because the temperature sensors in the vehicle are not active therefore no data is available to read. When the car goes to sleep (or close to it), it shuts down various components to save battery, the temperature sensors being one of them. Starting the HVAC is a reliable, guaranteed way to activate the temperature sensors because the car requires them to be active to know the internal temperature in order to adjust the heating/cooling accordingly. I haven't seen any other reliable way of activating the temperature sensors. If the car was recently on and hasn't slept yet, the sensors may still be on and report data for a short while. Worst case, you can toggle the HVAC on and off and get temperature readings for a small while that way.

@JasJ , as @David99 said, there is currently no support on Tesla's servers (that we know of) to remotely control your vehicle's seat heaters, windshield defrosters, windshield wiper heaters, steering wheel heater, windows, driver profile, doors, trunks, suspension, media center, and the sun roof is limited to closing and venting. In order to implement these in the app (something I want to do), Tesla will need to add the corresponding APIs first.

There is a conspiracy theory floating around that the reason a lot of these aren't added is due to Tesla being located in California, a place where frozen windshields and pre-heated seats aren't as useful as in, say, the pacific northwest. Another reason some of these aren't/won't be implemented is for security reasons. Firing off commands to open/close trunks and windows and doors could allow ignorant people to cause avoidable injuries. Summon is scary as well, but that's built very robust with safety in mind using dead-man switches and user proximity requirements.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and David99
@hiroshiy , strange you can reproduce the issue every time? Does a dialog pop-up saying the app has stopped responding? Is there a menu option in this dialog for sending a crash report? I can view these crash reports if you are able to submit one. Does it crash when moving the app to the background from the sign-in screen? From the dashboard screen? Even when you aren't connected to a vehicle? Only when you're connected to a vehicle? Do you have any special features enabled (Smart charging, plug-in reminder, any widgets)? I guess I just need more help on narrowing down the crash, can you list your reproduction steps?

As @MP3Mike stated, Dashboard for Tesla performs all vehicle communication directly from your Android device, there is no 3rd party server involved. Special features, like Widgets, Smart Charging, plug-in reminder, camper mode, are performed in a background service, but this is local to your device and just means it will happen in the background whether the main app is active or not.

In order for the app to function and let you control your vehicle and view status information, the vehicle must be woken up. When using the app explicitly, this only happens when you connect to the vehicle in the Vehicles screen. Simply viewing your list of vehicles will not wake up your vehicle(s).

However, if you have any background services scheduled (Widgets, Smart charging, plug-in reminder, camper mode, etc.), then your vehicle may be woken up in order to perform those background services. This means the sleep pattern of your vehicle can be interrupted if you have a background service scheduled to communicate with your vehicle.

If you want to preserve your vehicle's sleep mode currently, you'll need to A) not connect to your vehicle when you sign into the app and B) disable all background services you have connected to the vehicle. This can be cumbersome, but these are all features you ultimately opt into by scheduling them (via adding a widget, or adding a smart charging location, or enabling plug-in reminder, or turning on camper mode, etc.) so it's assumed you want them to work, even if that means waking up the vehicle. Connecting to the vehicle when signing in is another step you opt into so it's assumed you want it to work, even if that means waking up the vehicle.

I could add a dialog that asks you to confirm your vehicle is sleeping and connecting to it will wake it up.

2. Looking at your screenshot, looks like battery optimizations are in fact disabled for the app. I suggest double-checking the Settings screen in the Dashboard for Tesla app for the Battery Optimizations menu item and ensure the checkbox is unchecked. This means the battery optimizations for the app are disabled, which is what we want in order for background services to work properly when the device is sleeping. If you uninstall/reinstall the app, you will have to re-disable battery optimizations for the app. You may have to reboot your device in order for the battery optimizations change to take effect, but this varies from device to device.

4. Why oh why would Tesla swap rated and ideal values in the API depending on the EU status of the car? If that is true, that is a pain and I'll need to asses the impacts that would have.
Thank you, @SG57 for your help again. Today I performed a bit of testing and I found that it seems the app itself crash, but the background service keeps running in the background. That's why I saw my car wasn't sleeping at all. I rebooted the phone but the background service automatically started and made my car awake. As an additional test I installed the app and now the car sleeps well.

Next I plan to record what happens when I start the app on my phone and upload the video on YouTube so you can watch.

I only use Smart Charging option.

@hiroshiy , okay that would be good. The background service keeps running because it's scheduled to run at certain times. With smart charging enabled, it's scheduled to run every 15 minutes. We can definitely narrow it down with some more testing. I would like to know if the app crashes for you when going into the background (pressing the home button) from the sign in screen, or if it only crashes when going into the background from the Dashboard screen (after you're signed in).

@hiroshiy , okay that would be good. The background service keeps running because it's scheduled to run at certain times. With smart charging enabled, it's scheduled to run every 15 minutes. We can definitely narrow it down with some more testing. I would like to know if the app crashes for you when going into the background (pressing the home button) from the sign in screen, or if it only crashes when going into the background from the Dashboard screen (after you're signed in).
OK, I recorded the file. If you want me to do something to identity the problem just let me know.

@hiroshiy , that's a useful hint. Very peculiar. Can you do me a favor and reproduce that one more time, except when you see that dialog saying "Dashboard for Tesla has stopped" , can you please press the "Send feedback" menu option? This will let me see what's causing the crash on my end and we can go from there.

@hiroshiy , thank you! I was able to collect your crash report and do some digging.

My research lead me to this open Android bug with many other developer and user testimonials for the past 5 months seeing the exact same behavior you're seeing (minimizing the app causing a crash shortly after). I've contributed to the bug report as well providing your crash report.

To summarize that entire thread, there is no consensus as to what causes the crash, but it mostly occurs during destruction of the Google Map view after the app is minimized. This is a serious issue impacting many other apps that utilize Google Maps and it appears to only affect Android Nougat, and mostly Xperia devices.

Unfortunately there's nothing more I can do to fix this as this is an issue in the native system software and not within the app. Your best bet is to hope the latest updates to your system software includes a fix, so make sure you're updated to the latest Nougat version 7.1.1 and make sure your Google Play services apps are up-to-date. This is still no guarantee unfortunately, the only guarantee is to either revert back to Android 6.0 if possible, or use a non-Xperia device.

It's not a fix, but I could provide a work-around for you by adding a setting that disables the Google Map services from functioning within the app thus preventing the crash, however you will lose all functionality of the Location screen, but at least it will no longer crash!

Sorry for all this, let me know if I can be of any more help.

@SG57 , Bug report. Screen shots below. See underlined text below.
* Model X at 81%
* Charging % set to 80%
* Smart Charging Scheduled to start at 5:08 and complete at 5:00 ?!?!?

Phone notification about Smart Charging Schedule:
w5ha2L9.jpg

Dashboard for Tesla app showing 80% target and 81% current level.
OpFzGIX.jpg

Dashboard for Tesla app showing 'complete charging by 5:00'
iRBotzW.jpg

@SG57 , has there every been at need for a 24 hour logging of Smart Charging processing?

I was at a relatives house over the weekend and plugged into their dryer outlet. I set up a new 'Smart Charging Option' for their location. The phone notification for Smart Charging made sense when I set it up as it indicated it would start at like 1:43am. This made sense based on my current charging rate (13 mi per hour) and when I was leaving. However, when I woke up in the morning (7:30am), I checked on the car via the app and it was not charging and had not started at 1:43am. I manually started it and had enough charge to still leave at a reasonable time but had to then stop at a supercharger that I did not expect to. If I had a logging option, I would probably start it when I set up a new Smart Charging Option just in case. Just a thought as I have no other good way to provide information about the problem I saw. Just a thought.

@hiroshiy , thank you! I was able to collect your crash report and do some digging.

My research lead me to this open Android bug with many other developer and user testimonials for the past 5 months seeing the exact same behavior you're seeing (minimizing the app causing a crash shortly after). I've contributed to the bug report as well providing your crash report.

To summarize that entire thread, there is no consensus as to what causes the crash, but it mostly occurs during destruction of the Google Map view after the app is minimized. This is a serious issue impacting many other apps that utilize Google Maps and it appears to only affect Android Nougat, and mostly Xperia devices.

Unfortunately there's nothing more I can do to fix this as this is an issue in the native system software and not within the app. Your best bet is to hope the latest updates to your system software includes a fix, so make sure you're updated to the latest Nougat version 7.1.1 and make sure your Google Play services apps are up-to-date. This is still no guarantee unfortunately, the only guarantee is to either revert back to Android 6.0 if possible, or use a non-Xperia device.

It's not a fix, but I could provide a work-around for you by adding a setting that disables the Google Map services from functioning within the app thus preventing the crash, however you will lose all functionality of the Location screen, but at least it will no longer crash!

Sorry for all this, let me know if I can be of any more help.
Seriously, where else can you find direct support/feedback from a developer? Tesla should take some notes here. If my stock Tesla app did this, I'd be blaming Tesla too.

@SG57 , Bug report. Screen shots below. See underlined text below.
* Model X at 81%
* Charging % set to 80%
* Smart Charging Scheduled to start at 5:08 and complete at 5:00 ?!?!?
@SG57 , Follow up that the car did start charging at 5:01ish (5:20 peak below).
I realized this is minor but just showing there is a minor bug in there. Looks odd when states it is starting after it is completing (underlined above)

N3AHK0B.jpg