Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I have nothing else to complain about... I just had to find this bug. ;-)
The car orrientation icon is 180 degrees off.

Skärmklipp.PNG

Reactions: SG57
The update ticks so many boxes, variable timing on camping mode is brilliant! It's great to see you including customer suggestions!
Is there enough people out there with Samsung smart watches to prompt you to extend your wearable coverage?

@SG57 can you comment about the accuracy of the 0-60 mentioned as I asked above? Someone said that the app can only poll the state of power / speed twice per second, which would put huge error bars on the measurement. Is that correct? Or, how many times per second can you get a reading / how accurate is the result?

@SG57 Sorry about calling this a bug. I pushed the ?-mark on the page and saw your explanation for this behaviour. And you are correct as I was backing my car into the spot. Tesla's own app handled this the correct way though....
If I remember correctly, Tesla app handles it the exactly the same way - if you back into a spot, the car arrow on the map will be pointing in the direction the car moved last - backward

• Love
Reactions: idealsol and SG57
Sorry all for the literal radio silence, as previously stated on June 2nd I have been out of town without service for a solid week but I'm back now.

-

@Waxinator , that behavior you're seeing is exactly as explained in the little ?-help dialog's explanation.

The telemetry streaming API service is where the vehicle's current heading is being read from. This service returns a value for the vehicle's heading as the direction of last travel, not the direction the front of the car is facing.

When you reverse into a parking space, it stands to reason that the direction of last travel is 180 degrees off the direction the front of the car is facing.

There is no known way, at least that I know of, to get the direction the front of the car is facing from the telemetry streaming API service. There is another way to get the heading of the vehicle using the drive state API, but this is not meant for real-time use like the streaming API is, plus I don't know if this heading value is any different than the one provided in the streaming API.

@MasterT ,if the official app properly displays the correct direction of the car, I'd be curious as to how that's accurately. It is possible to sort of hack this behavior by monitoring the shift state of the car provided by the telemetry service listening for when the vehicle is in reverse, but it wouldn't be reliable.

-

@raphy3 , sorry for not responding, was out of town for a week.

If you would still like an access code let me know and I'm happy to provide one.

As for the accuracy of speed clocking, it ultimately varies based on network latency between your device and your vehicle. So long as this latency stays consistent throughout the recording, the resulting times should be fairly accurate. I'm happy to look into this if anyone should discover a discrepancy.

-

@powerfactor , thanks for your support, glad you like it! And yes, there is quite a lot of interest in Samsung Gear support. Unfortunately Tizen OS and Android are completely different platforms and expanding to support Samsung Gear would be a large task, much larger than Android Wear support was due to the lack of code re-usability. Samsung Gear support is not off the table, but I'd like to see Android Wear support really flushed out before tackling a completely new platform.

Reactions: powerfactor
I keep getting an error about an expired token on my programmed HVAC start times when I'm at work. I thought maybe it was a problem with the wifi I was connected to so I turned off wifi on my phone but it still happened tonight. I sent in the logcat file to the support email if that will help.

Love the app keep it up!

@SG57 would it be possible to have the car pop up a dialog that tells me how long it would take to get to home, or some other favorite? I currently have my phone doing that by launching auto scripts when specific Bluetooth devices connect. If I could get that on my car screen that by itself would be worth the price of your app to me.

@raphy3 , unfortunately there is no way of interacting with the vehicle's OS or displays inside the car. It'd be a neat idea, remotely popping up dialogs based on certain conditions in this case, however until Tesla releases an official SDK for their vehicle's OS it's simply not possible.

I swear I heard somewhere years ago that Tesla was planning on releasing an SDK for developers to produce their own apps for the car, sad it hasn't happened yet. I have a few great ideas I have stowed away should that day ever come ;)

@KidDoc , awesome thanks! I saw that log cat email last night and thought it strange someone would send that for the heck of it. I'm digging into it now, but are you able to use the app normally and communicate with your vehicle, it's just the automatic behavior having the problem when it tries to send commands?

Looking at it now, the expired token error message happens when Tesla's servers return a 401 unauthorized and it is assumed your token has expired. Tokens expire after 90 days, and every time you sign-in a new one is generated and overwrites any old ones. So either you haven't signed into the app for 90 days, or you've changed your password and invalidated all old tokens in which case you should re-sign in. I'll keep digging.

@raphy3 , unfortunately there is no way of interacting with the vehicle's OS or displays inside the car. It'd be a neat idea, remotely popping up dialogs based on certain conditions in this case, however until Tesla releases an official SDK for their vehicle's OS it's simply not possible.

I swear I heard somewhere years ago that Tesla was planning on releasing an SDK for developers to produce their own apps for the car, sad it hasn't happened yet. I have a few great ideas I have stowed away should that day ever come ;)

@KidDoc , awesome thanks! I saw that log cat email last night and thought it strange someone would send that for the heck of it. I'm digging into it now, but are you able to use the app normally and communicate with your vehicle, it's just the automatic behavior having the problem when it tries to send commands?

Looking at it now, the expired token error message happens when Tesla's servers return a 401 unauthorized and it is assumed your token has expired. Tokens expire after 90 days, and every time you sign-in a new one is generated and overwrites any old ones. So either you haven't signed into the app for 90 days, or you've changed your password and invalidated all old tokens in which case you should re-sign in. I'll keep digging.
The app works fine from the widget and when I load it but I often have to click the sign in button. The password is autofilled already. The basic Tesla app is signed in as well so it will sync calendars. I received the same token error today in the morning and lunch time hvac starts. When I opened the app just now I had to click the key icon to sign in and it communicates with the car np.

@KidDoc ,I suspect your vehicle ID changed which is what's causing the unauthorized responses from the servers. Automatic behaviors store vehicle commands with the vehicle ID at the time of creation. Should your vehicle ID change, it stands to reason that they will start failing.

Vehicle ID changes are rare but do happen as I've seen reported by others in the past. My suggestion for the time being is to delete and recreate your automatic behaviors, which sucks I know. I'll work on a fix for this so stored vehicle commands have their vehicle IDs updated as needed on sign-in to help avoid this.

EDIT

Or.... better yet. Don't touch anything and let me get a fix out real fast and we can see if it fixes it immediately.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KidDoc

Yikes they really need to get on this. Some of the capabilities in the car are very limited compared to what it should be able to do, running a Linux OS with GPS, maps, and always on internet. Better have something ready to go when model 3 comes out. Those young buyers who can afford it are going to want apps in their car. I see android auto as an advantage the Bolt has over it right now.

@KidDoc ,I suspect your vehicle ID changed which is what's causing the unauthorized responses from the servers. Automatic behaviors store vehicle commands with the vehicle ID at the time of creation. Should your vehicle ID change, it stands to reason that they will start failing.

Vehicle ID changes are rare but do happen as I've seen reported by others in the past. My suggestion for the time being is to delete and recreate your automatic behaviors, which sucks I know. I'll work on a fix for this so stored vehicle commands have their vehicle IDs updated as needed on sign-in to help avoid this.

EDIT

Or.... better yet. Don't touch anything and let me get a fix out real fast and we can see if it fixes it immediately.
Oops I recreated my timers already haha. Will let ya know if they work.

@KidDoc , great! Were those the re-created ones that worked fine or were they the ones that were broken before? I'm positive I've fixed the issue either way, it will now use the most recent vehicle ID recorded.

@raphy3 , you'd think with the demographic of Tesla's buyers being more tech/software oriented they'd see it as added incentive for buyers if they could create apps for their car. I know I'd certainly have been more attracted.

@KidDoc , great! Were those the re-created ones that worked fine or were they the ones that were broken before? I'm positive I've fixed the issue either way, it will now use the most recent vehicle ID recorded.

@raphy3 , you'd think with the demographic of Tesla's buyers being more tech/software oriented they'd see it as added incentive for buyers if they could create apps for their car. I know I'd certainly have been more attracted.
Recreated ones.