Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@cyr0nk0r , those are all good questions and some good ideas in there too. Sorry not much detail is available, I was hoping the features would be self-explanatory with a few quirks - apparently not the case.

So there are currently 2 advanced climate features you may be interested in - Cabin Temperature Protection and Camper Mode. Both are somewhat two sides of the same coin and I'm actually in the process of merging the two into one and improve the overall feature.

For now anyway, look at these 2 and the settings available for each:

advanced_climate1.jpg

All Camper Mode does is send a Start HVAC command to your vehicle every 15 minutes while respecting your configured settings. So if you configure it to start at 10 PM, end at 6 am, and turn off if the battery drops below 25, you can do just that. This does not adjust your driver or passenger temperatures or vent the sun roof.

Cabin Temperature Protection has a bit more complicated logic I'm looking to simplify when I merge these two features. For now, this is all the logic at work, anything not mentioned it doesn't do. Cabin temp. protection works by checking in on your car's climate state every 15 minutes. When it checks in on your car, only 1 of these 2 processing paths is followed:

1. Current cabin temperature is within the range of your min max temp settings.

When your cabin temp is within range, do nothing.

2. Current cabin temperature is outside the range of your min max temp settings.

When your cabin temp is outside range, steps are then taken to try to bring it back down within range. These steps are:

1. Set temperature to just inside your set temperature range. Only if not already set to the desired temp*. If cooling is needed, it will use the max temp setting. If heating is needed, it will use the min temp setting. The idea is to get it just within range.

2. Start HVAC if not already started. This is what actually begins the cooling or heating process needed.

That's it. The service checks back in on your car in 15 minutes and runs through the same logic. This means if your car is 100 F and your min setting is 70 F and your max is 80 F, the service will set your driver passenger temperatures to around 77 F and start your HVAC. It will check back in 15 minutes, and say your cabin temp. is now 77 F, the service won't do anything. After 30 minutes of inactivity the HVAC will naturally shut itself off and the cabin temp will climb. The service will check back in 15 minutes and should the cabin temp be outside range again, automatically start the HVAC and set the temp as needed. This means there is potential your cabin temp will fluctuate in and out of your min max temp range throughout the day as the HVAC turns on and off.

These commands outlined above will happen regardless of whether your car is in drive, park, asleep, charging, etc. This might not be desirable, I can certainly add more protections against those.

If you don't like the on and off throttling behavior of the HVAC that Cabin temp. protection does, it'd be better to use Camper Mode and just run the HVAC continuously, that's the only real way to guarantee your cabin temp stays at a certain temp.

If you don't like how the cabin temp protection sets your drive and passenger temperatures, try setting your min and max temp settings to very close together, say 70F - 80F. Or, just use camper mode and set your temperature manually to your desired temp.

Hopefully that helps clear things up, sorry it's a bit wordy. I'm in the process of reworking camper mode and cabin temp protection so I'll probably be tagging you to explain in detail more some of those ideas you had, like venting the sun roof automatically etc. I think there is some cool potential there.

Also, don't fret about the price thing. Try the app out for free all day tomorrow on your actual Tesla vehicle, all features included, using this full access code:

To enter an access code, press-and-hold the sign-in button for 3 seconds.

Oh and remember, if you're running Android Marshmallow or later, be sure to disable battery optimizations for the Dashboard for Tesla app or else the background services will not function properly when the device sleeps due to restricted network connectivity.

@SG57, great explanations of the logic behind the scenes.
I suggest some additional logic.

1) make checkin period configurable. (rather than 15 minutes, let user decide from minimum 5 minutes up to maybe 60 minutes?)
2) First check is gear state.. If vehicle NOT parked, then exit. Assume if vehicle is in gear then driver can manipulate climate

Feature suggestions
1) ability to geo fence to disable if car is "home" or "work" or other specific locations.
2) change min max to higher values. In Phoenix it gets to be 115 outside. I don't want to waste my AC always trying to get my car down to 82.. I just dont want it to be an oven when I get in. Maybe increase the maximum to something like 90. I'm fine with it being a little warm when I get it.. just not an oven.

Also, didn't Tesla announce a cabin temperature protection feature in 8.0? How does your feature overlap with Tesla's?

Reactions: KidDoc and SG57
Good ideas everyone.

@Boris & @Alex D, the charge port door open/close and every other command possible is coming to the Wear app very soon. What's out currently provides some value and I didn't want to hold up sharing it with everyone to finish the rest. Trust me, I'm no where near near finished with what I want the Wear app to look like or what it's capable of, I ask for your patience as I finish it up.

@Boris , great idea about the configurable commands on the controls widget. I could certainly add that as a configuration setting and allow you to place any command you want in it. I'll add it to the list!

@cyr0nk0r , making check-in frequency configurable is perfectly reasonable, consider it done.

Also, checking the current gear state is also perfectly reasonable, consider that done.

As for your feature suggestions, what do you mean by geo-fencing to disable automatically? Do you mean don't do anything on check-in or actually turn off the service based on the location of the vehicle? Personally, if I'm parked at work and the sun's beating down on the car outside, I wouldn't want it to disable. I suppose if people park in a parking garage for work or in their garage at home this is less of a problem, but still if the garage's ambient air temp causes the inside cabin temp to fall within your allowed range then it naturally will do nothing on check-in. Am I missing something?

And finally, it's been requested before to allow an arbitrary min and max settings for the cabin temp protection. There were reasons why it was restricted to the allowable HVAC settings possible, but with the merger coming up I see no reason to restrict this anymore.

-

Oh and I just released an update with some bug fixes and tweaks and improvements, but mainly there are 2 new additions to smart charging - you can now specify the radius of your smart charging location setup (in case you find your GPS fluctuates more than 10 meters), and you can now refresh the smart charging location without having to add a new one and reconfigure everything.

Reactions: Alex D
@SG57, when do you see this merger of features being done?

Also, I could have sworn I read somewhere that Tesla introduced a more basic version of your cabin temperature protection feature in a previous software update. How does yours compare and overlap? Does yours override theirs?

Reactions: SG57
@SG57, when do you see this merger of features being done?

Also, I could have sworn I read somewhere that Tesla introduced a more basic version of your cabin temperature protection feature in a previous software update. How does yours compare and overlap? Does yours override theirs?

It overrides the basic cabin overheat protection. Cabin overheat protection only keeps it under 104F if you have driven it in the last 12 hours or so.

@cyr0nk0r , ah I forgot to address that. Was a large post so it got overlooked.

The cabin temperature protection in the app has no knowledge of the option that's available in the car. The app will start the HVAC per the flow of logic I outlined previously. As I recall, the cabin temp protection in the car only turns on if the cabin temp is very hot, over 100 F, and can't be configured. You can use both safely together, but the cabin temperature protection provided in this app when enabled is going to prevent the car's cabin temp protection from ever kicking in just do to the nature of keeping the cabin temp below 100 F if the HVAC is ever running.

Not sure if I explained that very well, but tl;dr - no problem using both at the same time.

Oh and you can expect the merge to be done here any day now. If you'd like, I can release it into beta sooner and if you guys opt into the beta you can give it a shot and provide feedback before pulling the trigger on releasing it to everybody. Opting in is painless, just do it through the Play Store listing, and you can opt out at anytime. Acquiring the latest beta is painless as well, you get it just like a normal update through the Play Store when one is available.

I've been side tracked a lot lately, but still have been very productive. The addition of my own custom error reporting has helped immensely in tracking reported edge case errors and fixing them in no time.

Last edited:
Sure thing @wongbow90 or anyone else reading this.

Use this access code valid Saturday-only for full access to every feature the app has to offer usable on your actual Tesla vehicle:

To enter an access code, press-and-hold the sign-in button for 3 seconds. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns, thanks.

@SG57, so I purchased the app with the climate protection and I'm not sure it's working correctly.
My first real world use case for this was today and when I opened the app the internal cabin temp was null "--". I closed and opened the app again, and even tried manually refreshing the data from the car, but still no cabin temp was reported.
I then manually started the HVAC for about 15 seconds and then all of a sudden the internal cabin temp registered.
I then stopped the HVAC.

Any ETA on altering the check in times, and configurable temp threasholds? Here in Phoenix AZ cars regularly get above 90*F just sitting in the shade and currently 82*F is the max range. Which would mean the A/C is pretty much running every single time I park.
The geo fencing was another feature request and you had it pegged correctly. The ability to disable cabin protection if the car is within a particular geo location... IE... at work (in a parking garage)

@SG57, so I purchased the app with the climate protection and I'm not sure it's working correctly.
My first real world use case for this was today and when I opened the app the internal cabin temp was null "--". I closed and opened the app again, and even tried manually refreshing the data from the car, but still no cabin temp was reported.
I then manually started the HVAC for about 15 seconds and then all of a sudden the internal cabin temp registered.
I then stopped the HVAC.

The car does not report the cabin temp unless the HVAC is running. So there is no data. The Tesla app behaves the same way.

The car does not report the cabin temp unless the HVAC is running. So there is no data. The Tesla app behaves the same way.
That statement doesn't make sense. How would a cabin temperature protection app work if it doesn't know what the temperature of the cabin is before turning on the HVAC?
How can you know it's too hot in the cabin so turn the HVAC on.. if the HVAC isn't on yet?

That statement doesn't make sense. How would a cabin temperature protection app work if it doesn't know what the temperature of the cabin is before turning on the HVAC?
How can you know it's too hot in the cabin so turn the HVAC on.. if the HVAC isn't on yet?

The app occasionally turns the HVAC system on for a short time so that it can get a temperature reading to see if it needs to bring the temperature into line with your wishes.

Reactions: SG57 and David99
Sorry for the radio silence, been doing some neat stuff though you'll see soon.

And yes, that's a limitation of the vehicle's hardware/software itself where its temperature sensors go offline when the HVAC is off and the vehicle sleeps. This causes temperature readings from the API to come through empty . In order to get an accurate reading you must wake the sensors, and the only known way to do this is start the HVAC (although in saying that, curious if sending a stop HVAC command is enough to wake the sensors). Since Cabin temperature protection relies on actual cabin temp readings in order to do its job, it will start the HVAC when no temperature readings are available and check back in later to assess whether it really needs to run the HVAC.

I'm in the process of upgrading camper mode and cabin temperature protection so this functionality may change, but ultimately it is a necessary evil to temporarily start the HVAC if the temperature readings aren't coming through.

Reactions: David99
Hey all,

A new update is now available sporting a better look-and-feel and upgraded Camper Mode / Cabin Temperature Protection services.

Release Thread

-

screenshot1.png

UI Makeover - Pt. 1

With this release comes a renovated UI following material design practices more closely.

This is only the 1st part of the makeover as I am currently in the process of renovating the graphical assets themselves as we speak and I'll have that complete in the next release.

-

advanced_climate1.png

Advanced Climate Upgrade

A much needed upgrade, Camper Mode and Cabin Temperature Protection services are now one and the same combining the best features of both.

Built from the ground up, you can now expect better functionality and increased reliability alongside new configuration options allowing you to have even more control over your HVAC remotely.

Both Camper Mode and Cabin Temperature protection share the same options for setting a start and end time, as well as a battery protection setting so the service automatically stops when the battery drops below the set percentage.

Both of these services also will only ever send a command if the vehicle is parked, if the vehicle is in gear it is assumed you can control the HVAC yourself so the service is paused. So you can leave them running and drive away without your HVAC turning off on its own or your temperatures being adjusted, etc.

Camper Mode

If you wish to use Camper Mode, you can set it to keep the HVAC running and every 15 minutes the service will send a command to start the HVAC.

If you are confused what the differences are, think of Cabin Temperature Protection as a smarter version of Camper Mode where the HVAC is turned on and off as needed versus Camper Mode which simply keeps it on.

Cabin Temperature Protection

If you wish to use Cabin Temperature Protection, you can set it to keep your cabin temperature at a certain temperature +/- a temperature range and every time interval the service will check in on your vehicle's cabin temperature and assess whether it should start or stop the HVAC, or adjust the set temperature to your target temperature in order to get the cabin temperature back down within your range.

Cabin temperature protection requires a cabin temperature reading from the car to function, this means the temperature sensors must be online. When the car sleeps, its temperature sensors may go offline, as such the HVAC must be started briefly in order to wake them up. This pilot start/stop of the HVAC is automatic and will only ever occur when needed, and only runs the HVAC for 1 minute giving the sensors ample time to provide an accurate reading.

With this new Cabin Temperature Protection, you have a few more options.
  • You can now specify a temperature range outside the normal limits of your HVAC.

Requires HVAC stopping option enabled to function properly as this works by stopping the HVAC once it's within your temperature range as it's cooling down or heating up on its way to your target temperature and if it can't stop the HVAC, it will just keep cooling/heating until it reaches the target temperature.

• You can now adjust the time interval for the service to check in on the car's cabin temperature.

The lower this interval, the more often the service will run resulting in less cabin temperature fluctuations as temperatures raise and lower as the HVAC turns on and off. This comes at the cost of some battery life on your device as it wakes up more frequently to check in on your vehicle's temperature.

• You can now allow HVAC stopping.

With HVAC stopping enabled, the service will now throttle the HVAC on and off with commands as needed in order to get the cabin temperature back in range once it's outside. The downside to this is a Stop HVAC command acts as if you turned the HVAC off in the car, so when you leave your vehicle with the HVAC on then return later you may find the HVAC is now off and requires you to start it again manually.

With HVAC stopping disabled, a Stop HVAC command is never sent so instead the service will let the HVAC naturally turns itself off after 30 minutes thus preserving the HVAC-on state your car had when you left it so when you return to your vehicle, it automatically turns on. The downside to this is the HVAC is guaranteed to run for 30 minutes at your target temperature setting.
-

Other Stuff
  • Service error notification setting is no longer restricted to only hiding Smart charging service errors
  • Sign in screen got a makeover with more options
  • About screen got a makeover with more options
  • Smart charging location dialog received some love
  • Vehicle status layout adjusted moving controls off the vehicle itself preparing for the next makeover
-

Coming Up
  • More Wear features
  • UI Makeover - Pt. 2
-

Out Of Town

I'll be out of town June 3rd to June 10th without internet starting this Saturday (tomorrow). This means I won't be able to respond to any of your guys' questions or issues, I ask for your patience and I'll be sure to comb over everything and respond ASAP after June 10th.

-

Use this access code valid this Saturday-only for full access to every feature the app offers usable on your actual Tesla vehicle:

To enter an access code, press-and-hold the sign-in button for 3 seconds.

-

Thanks everyone for your support, keep the feedback and great ideas coming. I got a lot more coming up so stay tuned.

Last edited: