Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I'm thinking of paying for this app. However, I experience poor response to the buttons in demo mode. (Hard to hit, may have to press repeatedly.) Does this only apply to the demo, or also the paid version?
May I have a code to try this out?

Hey @raptuz,

What device are you using when testing the app?

The demo mode experience is very similar to the paid version experience, the only difference is the vehicles you can operate and monitor in the demo mode are virtual, fake Teslas whereas the paid version lets you use your actual Tesla vehicle.

Unfortunately there is not much I can do in way of improving button response time, that is likely due to slow response times in general for that device.

For button size, the bigger they are the easier they are to press but you sacrifice a lot of screen real estate that's already limited to begin with. The smaller the button the more you can put on screen but you sacrifice the ability to accurately interact with the controls. There is a balance between the two that I try to implement. Right now button sizes are a constant "thumbsized" size across devices to make sure you will always be able to hit it with a large finger no matter what size screen your device has, but still show more content should your device have more room to work with.

And sure, here is an access code granting anyone who uses it full access to every feature offered by the app usable on your actual Tesla vehicle valid Thursday-only (today):

To enter an access code, press-and-hold the sign-in button for 3 seconds.

Let me know if you need anything else, thanks.

@SG57 Thank you for the access code.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8. And it's not that the buttons are visually too small. It's just that it doesn't seem to register every button press, as if I have to hit it dead center or something.

I just installed the app on my old Galaxy S7 Edge, and it seems to work perfectly on this device. And the button size seems to be about the same on both devices.

So I uninstalled an reinstalled on the S8, and still the same. It typically takes 3-5 tries to hit the button.

Reactions: SG57
@cyr0nk0r , that's annoying and definitely shouldn't be happening. There are rules in place for the rating offer to avoid scenarios such as that. I think the only way you should ever see the rating prompt more than once in 3 days is if you're playing with your system clock on the device. I'll adjust the rules either way to be far less frequent. For now, if you should ever get offered again, just say yes you'll leave a rating then bail out from the Play store, it shouldn't ask you ever again after that. Sorry for the inconvenience.

@raptuz , very odd that the S7 Edge doesn't have that problem. Perhaps the new S8's have a new "feature" that is interpreting your touches as gestures or something to that effect essentially eating your touch press? I'd honestly have to have one on-hand to play with it to discover what's going on. I can still do some researching and see if I can find something. I'd imagine this effects other apps as well or just scroll-heavy ones? Let me know should you discover anything as well.

Last edited:
@SG57 , I've done a bit more testing, and found that the pages/tabs i have trouble with are: Vehicles, Home, Controls and Climate. All other pages seems to be ok.
I also found that any amount of scrolling on the pages not working, will fix it.

In Model S Refresh demo Controls page there is no sunroof, so it doesn't fill the screen, so no scrolling = no fix.

Hope this will help you fix it.

Anyway, thank you for your efforts on making this app, I will buy it now.

@raptuz , thanks for your support and the testing details! I'll look into it, still very suspect is the fact it only occurs on the S8. I'll let you know if I can come up with something, in the mean time sorry for the inconvenience.

@nderchris , sure thing. The day is almost up unfortunately so here is a full access code for everyone to use tomorrow Saturday-only that let's you use every feature the app offers on your actual Tesla:

To enter an access code, press-and-hold the sign-in button for 3 seconds.

Let me know if you need anything else.

When using the Wear app can you get it working so that I don't need my phone on me? I left my phone at home today and was hoping to cool off the car but it wants my phone near the watch. :-( I had LTE on my watch and phone was on WiFi at home so they could talk to each other.

@miken79 , the Wear app is not a stand-alone app unfortunately, it requires the companion app installed on your device and that it be connected/close-by as the mobile device is what actually performs the network calls to communicate with your vehicle.

I understand with Android Wear 2.0, the Wear device themselves can now make their own network calls without the need for a companion app whatsoever, however adding support for that would require some amount of work I'm not ready to invest. I have other awesome Wear features almost completed that will come in the next release here soon as well as some other goodies, so to answer your request - soon.

-

@Samsaks , sure thing! You and anyone else feel free to use this access code for full access to every feature the app has to offer usable on your actual Tesla vehicle valid for Monday-only.

To enter an access code, when signing in press-and-hold the sign-in button for 3 seconds.

Let me know if you feel you need more time, I'm happy to oblige.

@miken79 , the Wear app is not a stand-alone app unfortunately, it requires the companion app installed on your device and that it be connected/close-by as the mobile device is what actually performs the network calls to communicate with your vehicle.

I understand with Android Wear 2.0, the Wear device themselves can now make their own network calls without the need for a companion app whatsoever, however adding support for that would require some amount of work I'm not ready to invest. I have other awesome Wear features almost completed that will come in the next release here soon as well as some other goodies, so to answer your request - soon.

I'm just glad I didn't try leaving the car key behind as well. I was going "oh this watch is sweet, I can just leave everything and take the watch and cash and not have to worry about losing anything on the rides at six flags" Glad I didn't trust I'd have a lte signal in the car there!

@miken79 , ah yes be careful when choosing not to carry a fob. I've locked my keys in the office before and the easiest resolution was going 24 hours using the app to unlock and remote start the vehicle, granted I was well within city limits and my destinations all had good service.

However should you ever find yourself with no fob and no service in the car, check if your phone has service. If so, you can setup a Wifi hotspot on your phone and connect the car to it allowing you to remotely start it. I've done this a few times when driving through northern Idaho, not to remotely start the car but to stream music when AT&T service plummets but Verizon stays strong.

@miken79 , ah yes be careful when choosing not to carry a fob. I've locked my keys in the office before and the easiest resolution was going 24 hours using the app to unlock and remote start the vehicle, granted I was well within city limits and my destinations all had good service.

However should you ever find yourself with no fob and no service in the car, check if your phone has service. If so, you can setup a Wifi hotspot on your phone and connect the car to it allowing you to remotely start it. I've done this a few times when driving through northern Idaho, not to remotely start the car but to stream music when AT&T service plummets but Verizon stays strong.

Oh yes, my phone hotspot is already saved in the car wifi so I can get it up. But since I'm on Project Fi I doubt I'd have cell reception when the car doesn't. I was more going to put the fob in a bag in the trunk but decided to just pay for a locker instead. :)

I have ordered an SUV tent to connect to the back of the MS. This involves having the rear hatch open and connected to the tent.

I need Camper Mode to work while the hatch is open, but Dashboard gives an error if the hatch is open and won't start a/c (Tesla app does the same). I can start the a/c, then open the hatch and it seems to work, but this is a real hassle if the car is already connected to the tent. I have not tested Camper Mode in this scenario, but I assume it won't work.

Is this something that can be worked around such that the hatch can be open?

Something that is a desirable option when in Camper Mode is to have the USB ports active. However they go off after 30 seconds. I noticed that opening the sunroof vent in Dashboard turns on the USB ports for another 30 seconds. Is there some command there that can be repeated every 30 seconds to keep the ports active (without opening the roof, of course)?

@BerTX , that's an interesting scenario, and I would have never even thought of that. You could essentially create a climate controlled bubble.

Unfortunately I don't know any way to remotely bypass the restrictions Tesla puts on its Start HVAC command or any command for that matter. They have the final say as to whether they should actually go and start the HVAC, etc.

I am curious, when you start the HVAC then open the trunk, are you now able to send a start HVAC command with the trunk open? Or every 30 minutes you need to close the trunk, start HVAC, then open the trunk? Have you considered rolling all the windows down instead? Or leaving all the doors open, or does that have the same restrictions on starting the HVAc as the trunk?

As for USB ports active, are you positive that they aren't active with the HVAC on? Because I've camped twice now where I plugged in my phone and listened to music all night and it was charged fully in the morning, surely if the USB ports were not active my phone would have died. As is, automatic behaviors allows you to schedule any command to run on an interval of a few minutes, granted this lower bound is artificial, I could lower this even more but I don't want to push it. For now you could stagger multiple behaviors that do the same thing to achieve a faster interval.

I'll do some testing on both of these scenarios you've posed, I suspect there may be something we can do here.