Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dc combo for USA port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having two lines of high voltage charging is very impractical. I'm still hoping Tesla will eventually sell a CCS 1 combo adapter.

I see no reason why the port would have to be on the other side. Model 3/Y flap is large enough to fit two ports - it already does in China I believe. Model S/X flap can be redesigned to be larger whenever they get the exterior refresh. That probably is already planned since they already use dual ports in China. The S there has a gas cap-like door.

Reactions: kayak1 and Gasaraki
I see no reason why the port would have to be on the other side. Model 3/Y flap is large enough to fit two ports - it already does in China I believe. Model S/X flap can be redesigned to be larger whenever they get the exterior refresh. That probably is already planned since they already use dual ports in China. The S there has a gas cap-like door.
The two ports on the Chinese car are dedicated. One is AC, which goes to the onboard charger, the other is DC which goes direct to the battery. Having both a Tesla North American Port and a CCS-1 port requires the additional complexity of routing both AC and DC to both the charger and the battery. Of course, you could disable the AC portion of the CCS port, but people would invariably be confused because plugging a J1772 handle directly to the port that fits would not work. You would still have to have a selectable DC current path so that the inactive port is not HOT.

The two ports on the Chinese car are dedicated. One is AC, which goes to the onboard charger, the other is DC which goes direct to the battery. Having both a Tesla North American Port and a CCS-1 port requires the additional complexity of routing both AC and DC to both the charger and the battery. Of course, you could disable the AC portion of the CCS port, but people would invariably be confused because plugging a J1772 handle directly to the port that fits would not work. You would still have to have a selectable DC current path so that the inactive port is not HOT.
That functionality already exists today. The two larger connectors on the current Tesla port carry AC when connected to a L2 EVSE, and carry DC when connected to a SuperCharger or other L3.

Extra port or not, I just want to be able to charge with the growing number of CCS1 DC fast chargers in my area. Adapter or no, retrofit or no, I can't wait for Tesla (or anyone else) to release a solution to this issue.
So far, in your area, only Petro Canada and Electrify Canada sites would give you anything more with a CCS adapter than you could get today with a CHAdeMO adapter. However, the potentially higher charge rate at those sites would be a significant benefit.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
So far, in your area, only Petro Canada and Electrify Canada sites would give you anything more with a CCS adapter than you could get today with a CHAdeMO adapter. However, the potentially higher charge rate at those sites would be a significant benefit.
And more to come. There is a free charger in my neighbourhood that uses ChaDeMo and CCS1, and while I could buy the ChaDeMo adapter, it just seems like a waste of money compared to any future CCS1 solution when I know that will be the future and likely to have the most widespread support.

If ChaDeMo adapter was $300, i'd have one already. I can't justify more than that.

And more to come. There is a free charger in my neighbourhood that uses ChaDeMo and CCS1, and while I could buy the ChaDeMo adapter, it just seems like a waste of money compared to any future CCS1 solution when I know that will be the future and likely to have the most widespread support.

If ChaDeMo adapter was $300, i'd have one already. I can't justify more than that.
Wait til the first time you're stuck at a J1772 station getting 6kW and there's a beautiful CHAdeMO right next to it where you would get 30-40kW......

Reactions: kayak1

Wait til the first time you're stuck at a J1772 station getting 6kW and there's a beautiful CHAdeMO right next to it where you would get 30-40kW......
Exactly. How many times on this forum have we seen person after person advocate spending lots of money to go hog wild, with over the top installations for home charging because, "You spent all this money on the car. Why WOULDN'T you wan to waste all this extra money because ya never know!! OMG Don't be cheap!"

But home charging is where you have many hours and overnights. Higher speed at home isn't really that beneficial or avoiding some very big nuisance. So where are all the advocates for nonchalantly tossing out an apparently meaningless $500 for something that can save your ass and avoid some really massive hassles when you REALLY need it? The CHAdeMO adapter is kind of pricey, but incredibly helpful.

Reactions: kayak1
Exactly. How many times on this forum have we seen person after person advocate spending lots of money to go hog wild, with over the top installations for home charging because, "You spent all this money on the car. Why WOULDN'T you wan to waste all this extra money because ya never know!! OMG Don't be cheap!"

But home charging is where you have many hours and overnights. Higher speed at home isn't really that beneficial or avoiding some very big nuisance. So where are all the advocates for nonchalantly tossing out an apparently meaningless $500 for something that can save your ass and avoid some really massive hassles when you REALLY need it? The CHAdeMO adapter is kind of pricey, but incredibly helpful.
If I lived in BC, I probably would have bought a CHAdeMO adapter soon after it was available for my Model 3. That was before there were any announced plans to install stations above 50kW in BC. In California, the Supercharger network is more complete and EVgo is installing permanently mounted CHAdeMO adapters on their stations in metro areas.

I'm not dropping the cash on a CHAdeMO adapter simply because it's a charging standard that has no real future. Even Nisan's new EV, the ARIYA will be using CCS1 in NA and CCS2 in EU.
I'm not dropping $450 on a ChaDeMo adapter but would consider maybe a $150 adapter. By the way, there are over 4000 ChaDeMo charging plugs in the US. I don't thin EVgo, EA, etc are going to remove them.
CCS, CHAdeMO fast charging stations and outlets in the US

I'm not dropping $450 on a ChaDeMo adapter but would consider maybe a $150 adapter. By the way, there are over 4000 ChaDeMo charging plugs in the US. I don't thin EVgo, EA, etc are going to remove them.

Maybe not remove them, but I could see it not being a good business decision to maintain them as they age. One thing is for certain, the need for CHAdeMO will plummet unless all of us Tesla owners never get a CCS option...

Also, if the adapter could be made for $150, we all would probably buy one. But a $150 adapter would be like a Costco chicken. It would cost far more than that to produce one...

Also, if the adapter could be made for $150, we all would probably buy one. But a $150 adapter would be like a Costco chicken. It would cost far more than that to produce one...

It's close. The Type 2 CCS adapter used to cost ~$210 for the adapter by itself, or ~$600 for the retrofit and adapter if your S&X was older and needed the retrofit to be compatible. But since then Tesla has lowered the cost to ~$325 for the adapter/retrofit package.

I'm only guessing that prices would be similar for a Type 1 CCS adapter, but have no idea which cars, if not all of them, would require a retrofit.

EA's putting only one CHAdeMO plug per station so it'll be pretty inconvenient to wait 30+ minutes for a leaf or Model X charge at the one spot while 8+ CCS spots are unused.

EVgo's planning on installing Tesla plugs in their chargers, so perhaps that won't be an issue there.

All that's left are the Nissan dealerships, and local energy company stations. Some of these are free, and I can totally see owning a CHAdeMO adapter coming in clutch since a few of those stations are in pretty remote areas. There's one in the North GA mountains, Ellijay. If I was towing something up there, I would totally buy the adapter.

A fair point, and for that single opportunity when that might happen, I'll likely have rented or borrowed a ChaDeMo adapter from someone for that very odd trip situation that I cannot envision in my daily travels,

I'd rather spend my $600 Canadian plus tax on .. I dunno. New tires? A home wall charger that I use every day?

To each their own. Until the price drops, I'm not going to get one.

This has everything to do with where you travel. If you travel primarily highway one or lower mainland then one doesn’t need a Chademo adapter. If you travel north to Prince George or in the Kootenays a Chademo adapter is a no brainer. I haven’t looked to see if there are Superchargers planned for Quesnel or Prince George yet. That would be a game changer.

It's close. The Type 2 CCS adapter used to cost ~$210 for the adapter by itself, or ~$600 for the retrofit and adapter if your S&X was older and needed the retrofit to be compatible. But since then Tesla has lowered the cost to ~$325 for the adapter/retrofit package.

I'm only guessing that prices would be similar for a Type 1 CCS adapter, but have no idea which cars, if not all of them, would require a retrofit.
I would pay the $600 for a Type 1 CCS for our model Y. I am hoping that the Cybertruck ships with a Tesla and CCS port on the side.

Reactions: Danny Brown