Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm at 9.2k miles or so and was getting concerned because my normal 80% charge has dropped down to 190 from 210. I just did a "standard" charge to 90% and I show 222 miles. It looks like I'm doing better than I thought.

tdiggity, I am bummed to say I think I have beaten you.

My 90% standard full charge has came in low at 207miles - late last month. Prior to this time, I too was babying the battery with regular ~66% SOC slider setting.

I have since performed a few slow "trickle" charges dropping amperage down to 6amps on the UMC. I have now bounced up to 215miles on a 90% standard full charge. I have not done a full range charge since late spring, so I believe based on others here that the battery has become unbalanced.

BTW = odometer @ 15K and SW v5.6.

If others have seen similar I would appreciate your insight or further confirmation that I am not an outlier.

I think I win for the lowest numbers:

85kwH with v5.6, 11k miles, 90%=218 miles.

I live in Northern California, so I don't believe that weather is causing the lower numbers. Noticed these low numbers since v4.5/4 months. Probably started happening right when I started lowering my charge limit to 60-70%.

Last edited:
Upgraded to 5.6 (1.45.45) the other day and now my 90% charge is 171 miles (was 175 on 4.5)
11k miles, 60kWh, Jan delivery.
Haven't done 100% in a while, but will do so for winter break run to LA.
During the week I tend to do 60% charges but go up to 80 or 90 on weekends

Any other range-limited 40/60 owners on 5.6 yet? I upgraded last night...my rated range range at full charge was 134 on 4.5 and is now 127 on 5.6. End of June delivery and 5,400 miles. Wondering if there are similar changes being experienced out there.

they're all hovering around 182, plus or minus 5 to 10 miles depending on how cold it is. The 90% charge is for the most part the same as it was on firmware 4.5. I am however, experiencing major vampire losses now that I did not have before. on 4.5, I would lose approximately 10 miles in 24 hours. On version 5.6, I am losing 10 to 16 miles in 6 to 10 hours. I just got off the phone with Tesla, and they're sending this to the engineers. They are downloading my logs and will return a call to me within a few days.

they're all hovering around 182, plus or minus 5 to 10 miles depending on how cold it is. The 90% charge is for the most part the same as it was on firmware 4.5. I am however, experiencing major vampire losses now that I did not have before. on 4.5, I would lose approximately 10 miles in 24 hours. On version 5.6, I am losing 10 to 16 miles in 6 to 10 hours. I just got off the phone with Tesla, and they're sending this to the engineers. They are downloading my logs and will return a call to me within a few days.

Please keep us updated on what Tesla tells you. I've been on 5.6 for almost two weeks now and haven't noticed any decrease on vampire draw. My vampire losses are about 3 miles over eight hours or about 9-10 miles a day.

For the software limited 40kWh cars, how and when will the balancing happen? because the battery never gets full and at most gets charged 67% only on a full charge. Don't they run the risk of getting severely out of balance with no possibility of balancing ?

Any other range-limited 40/60 owners on 5.6 yet? I upgraded last night...my rated range range at full charge was 134 on 4.5 and is now 127 on 5.6. End of June delivery and 5,400 miles. Wondering if there are similar changes being experienced out there.

Just got my upgrade a couple of days ago. Charged to max of 130 on 5.6, when it used to be 134 on 4.5. It also might be due to the extreme cold that fell at the same time I got the update.

Add in my data point. I have 18.3K miles - 90% charge was 216 this morning after an upgrade to 5.6 yesterday. Was previously getting 224-225 prior to the upgrade, however we also had a temperature drop at the same time of the upgrade.

Just got my upgrade a couple of days ago. Charged to max of 130 on 5.6, when it used to be 134 on 4.5. It also might be due to the extreme cold that fell at the same time I got the update.

You're lucky you're still at 130. Am curious why mine dropped so much. No cold issues here in Hawaii. And temp range hasn't really changed since summer. Will be interesting to see what other 40/60 owners are getting for rated range after the update.

For the software limited 40kWh cars, how and when will the balancing happen? because the battery never gets full and at most gets charged 67% only on a full charge. Don't they run the risk of getting severely out of balance with no possibility of balancing ?
Since Tesla top balances their packs, I can't see any way that the 40/60kwh cars are being balanced, especially since the limiting firmware seemed rushed.

The good news is that these packs don't get hurt be being out of balance.

Since Tesla top balances their packs, I can't see any way that the 40/60kwh cars are being balanced, especially since the limiting firmware seemed rushed.

The good news is that these packs don't get hurt be being out of balance.

Are there other packs that might get "hurt" (I assume you mean degradation or damage) if they are out of balance? I'm obviously speaking of 60 kWh and 85 kWh packs. I'm guessing my 60 (and reading the 5.6 thread many other 60 owners) may be a bit out of balance now but wondering if there is any cause for concern if it is.

Don't be too concerned with the battery balancing. When the pack gets to a certain point of being out of balance, it will automatically start balancing. You will only get as much power as the lowest cell/brick of cells will provide, so worst case scenario, you temporarily loose some range. If you are bent up at getting the most range per charge, or absolutely need the range, running your pack down low, and charging it to maximum range charge will initiate a balance. Though, do not do this too often, or it may cause more harm then good.

You're lucky you're still at 130. Am curious why mine dropped so much. No cold issues here in Hawaii. And temp range hasn't really changed since summer. Will be interesting to see what other 40/60 owners are getting for rated range after the update.

Tried a full charge last night for only the second time since I've got the car. With v5.0 I was getting 215. With v5.6 I am now getting 207. Anyone else out there with a 60 kWh pack that has experienced this?

I tried a full charge the other night (w/v5.6) and only got to 250 miles with v4.5 (and before) I was getting 265 miles with a full 100% charge.
It was still charging but after I waited for 20 minutes it was still at 250 miles.
My 90% range is now about 220 miles with v5.6.
My 90% range was about 230 miles with v4.5.
My Standard range was about 240 with v4.2.
Like Nanimac says temperature here in Hawaii is... predictable.:cool: