Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Degradation of the Community...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leopard:

Leopard1_cfb_borden_2.JPG

Panther:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-H26258%2C_Panzer_V_%22Panther%22.jpg

Jaguar:

jaguar-i-pace-geneva_001.jpg
With the cat paradox post, I think someone just gave Andrej Karpathy an aneurysm... Betrand Russell's revenge up in this mug.

I used to tell my ex, when he was rabid on a point & I didn't want to discuss further, "You may well be right." It satisfied him, but I knew I wasn't agreeing with a thing. He MIGHT be right, but he might not be. And I knew exactly what I was doing, as does anyone who uses that particular wording.

"Of course you may be right; and certainly I cannot go so far as to say you are wrong: but still at the same time" —

"Now but before a fool's opinion of himself," the brown man cried, "the Gods are powerless. Oh yes, and envious, too!"

And when Jurgen very cautiously opened his eyes the brown man had left him physically unharmed. But the state of Jurgen's nervous system was deplorable.

James Branch Cabell, Jurgen

(No, Bonnie, I'm not calling you a fool. I know better. Your anecdote reminded me of that passage, that's all. And it seemed apt for this thread....)

I have to wonder about the existence of this too, especially since you used a plural. I can not think of any group of non-Tesla owning fans of other brands that were here making "backhanded comments about Tesla". It is not like this place is attracting droves of BMW fans, for example.

Tesla is a new brand, it is obvious most people have a lot more of experience in other brands - even fandom, that is to be expected. But I genuinely can't think of many that fits @stopcrazypp's description. Most of what I see people in this thread pointing out as "negativity" come from actual Tesla owners who have had negative experiences with Tesla.

Having said that, I've found most automotive forums overall being very allowing of other brands. They often even have named sub-forums for them. People tend to move from car brand to another much more than they perhaps do in some other things in life and they are long purchases, so forums tend to wish to hold onto their members even if they take a three-year stint with the competition.
@JRP3 already pointed out a clear hint of the members I am talking about. I was deliberately being vague because I don't want to point fingers at specific members, nor do I want to suggest they aren't welcome here (the point of my post is that our forum tolerates such members).

As for the other forums I am talking about, I have experience from earlier on in my life on various compact car forums (for honda civic, ford focus, subaru, vw etc) and they are like the wild west compared to here (likely because the members tend to be less mature because of the average age). I didn't frequent BMW forums, but the largest one has a pretty poor reputation.

And I'm not talking about simply being a fan of a different brand or posting in a subforum, but deliberately making back handed comments about the brand of the current forum (not only in that subforum). That is not really well tolerated.

Reactions: JRP3