Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am seeing everyone talking about MXP's getting their dates/VIN's recently unless I am not paying attention. Is there continuing movement on the MXT (Tax edition) ones? I ordered 9/27 with a Nov-Dec delivery estimate and concerned about slipping into Jan (like everyone else).
Noticed that as well in the last day or two... likely just running a batch of Plaids between all the "Plain" orders.

I'm a 9/4 "Plain" X order here in NJ, 5 EDD updates so far but still waiting on a VIN.

I am seeing everyone talking about MXP's getting their dates/VIN's recently unless I am not paying attention. Is there continuing movement on the MXT (Tax edition) ones? I ordered 9/27 with a Nov-Dec delivery estimate and concerned about slipping into Jan (like everyone else).
I think there's a real possibility of delivery dates slipping into January, but I think the likelihood of that isn't huge. However, you're also welcome to keep checking inventory Model X's that have the tax credit build.

Remember, the huge surge of orders was probably the first couple of days after the price drop (8/31-9/4) probably due to labor day weekend. After fulfilling that huge surge, it should be much easier then for Tesla to fulfill the rest and catch up. After all, how many people can REALLY afford an $80k vehicle anyways? The Model Y LR is still the more sought after vehicle given today's price drop. I think you'll be fine.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Noticed that as well in the last day or two... likely just running a batch of Plaids between all the "Plain" orders.

I'm a 9/4 "Plain" X order here in NJ, 5 EDD updates so far but still waiting on a VIN.

Tesla probably wants those Plaids churned out first because they can make bigger margins on them, and then scramble for the tax credit builds later. I still think that come January 2024, the tax credit will still be $7500 which will be now POS, and that Tesla may drop the price again, but it'll be a smaller drop.

If tax credit decreases to $3750, Tesla will just drop the price by $3750.

I've ordered on 9/6, for a Tax Credit build in Ultra Red, and I'm in the West Coast. My EDD is Oct 10- Nov 14. Couple days ago it was Oct 10 - Nov 21.

Last edited:
Reactions: NJturtlePower
Tesla probably wants those Plaids churned out first because they can make bigger margins on them, and then scramble for the tax credit builds later. I still think that come January 2024, the tax credit will still be $7500 which will be now POS, and that Tesla may drop the price again, but it'll be a smaller drop.

If tax credit decreases to $3750, Tesla will just drop the price by $3750.

I've ordered on 9/6, for a Tax Credit build in Ultra Red, and I'm in the West Coast. My EDD is Oct 10- Nov 14. Couple days ago it was Oct 10 - Nov 21.
Still doubting any more X/S drops, but MAYBE the offset like you mentioned IF the tax credit gets cut in Jan.

They cut the Buyer/Loyalty credits in half again yesterday.... now only $250 + 3-Months FSD (all Tesla models).

Was $1k when we ordered then $500 ever since, so to me that shows they are happy with the order backlog and no reason for any additional incentives at this time.

Last edited:
Still doubting any more X/S drops, but MAYBE the offset like you mentioned IF the tax credit gets cut in Jan.

They cut the Buyer/Loyalty credits in half again yesterday.... now only $250 + 3-Months FSD (all Tesla models).

Was $1k when we ordered then $500 ever since, so to me that shows they are happy with the order backlog and no reason for any additional incentives at this time.
Well, now the referral credit is $250 for all vehicles from Tesla.

They just dropped the Model Y LR another $2000 this morning.

Given that EDD of Model X is still only a month or two away, I think more incentives will happen in 2024. Usually Tesla will raise the price if the order backlog was too high. They did that with the Model Y this past year after the price drop in January. Once the initial excitement of the price is over, Tesla will drop them again.

Model X does not cost $32k over the Model Y for Tesla in parts. Bigger body, air suspension, better motors, slightly larger screen, few more speakers, and FWD isn't worth that much.

Also, if Tesla does offset that tax credit in case it does drop to $3750, that would mean that the Model X LR 7 seater config will be eligible for tax credit as well (which I would gladly accept over my current order.) Decisions, decisions.

It looks like Tesla missed its Q3 delivery mark.

Last edited:
Well, now the referral credit is $250 for all vehicles from Tesla.

They just dropped the Model Y LR another $2000 this morning. I'm not sure if it is due to production outpacing supply, but it was still a drop.

Given that EDD of Model X is still only a month or two away, I think more incentives will happen in 2024. Usually Tesla will raise the price if the order backlog was too high. They did that with the Model Y this past year after the price drop in January. Once the initial excitement of the price is over, Tesla will drop them again.

Model X does not cost $32k over the Model Y for Tesla in parts. Bigger body, air suspension, better motors, slightly larger screen, few more speakers, and FWD isn't worth that much.

Also, if Tesla does offset that tax credit in case it does drop to $3750, that would mean that the Model X LR 7 seater config will be eligible for tax credit as well (which I would gladly accept over my current order.) Decisions, decisions.
Guessing what Tesla will do with pricing in the future is a futile exercise. While dropping the price in the US, they increased the price in Europe. Go figure. The point here is clear. Tesla will keep adjusting the price based on the supply and demand in the region. Only a few people in the corporate knows what will happen. And I’m guessing these people don’t even know it way in advance. They just react to the market. If you are going to speculate, you might as well put your money in TSLA and try to make up the price increase or drop that way. If you choose to buy a Tesla car, you should learn to make peace with the fact that the future price can increase or drop in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Teambeastholly
Guessing what Tesla will do with pricing in the future is a futile exercise. While dropping the price in the US, they increased the price in Europe. Go figure. The point here is clear. Tesla will keep adjusting the price based on the supply and demand in the region. Only a few people in the corporate knows what will happen. And I’m guessing these people don’t even know it way in advance. They just react to the market. If you are going to speculate, you might as well put your money in TSLA and try to make up the price increase or drop that way. If you choose to buy a Tesla car, you should learn to make peace with the fact that the future price can increase or drop in a heartbeat.

Well, data just showed that in Q3 Tesla delivered less vehicles than Q2. Tesla states it was due to manufacturing downtime due to factory upgrades, but then why the price drop for Model Y?

I agree with you. This is all speculation, and we'll never know the answer until it actually happens.

Still, a battery replacement for Model Y is like what, $12-13k? 20% more of that is still only at max $2-3k more.
A replacement for an S&X, new not refurb, is like $21k. So $8-9k more than you are quoting for the Model Y.

Being a lower volume pack it isn't going to have the same cost efficiencies from volume. (And that applies to all of the parts.)

Reactions: suyoungman
I think these prices changes are horrific for the future of Tesla. I think this is gonna hurt them in the end. When you have a monopoly, you can do whatever you want. Once real competition rears its head, you get destroyed playing these games.

Other automakers do this but with “dealer incentives”. It’s super complex and confusing but the end result is that car values stay high or at least follow a defined curve. The Tesla method will make the used market shy away and further destroy values.

• Funny
Reactions: cusetownusa
Well, data just showed that in Q3 Tesla delivered less vehicles than Q2. Tesla states it was due to manufacturing downtime due to factory upgrades, but then why the price drop for Model Y?

I agree with you. This is all speculation, and we'll never know the answer until it actually happens.
Because the Highland/Juniper refreshes are coming on those models, but they still need to keep busy in Q4 in the US and make them extra attractive so potential owners don't just sit on their hand and wait and delay.... that's my take on it.

A replacement for an S&X, new not refurb, is like $21k. So $8-9k more than you are quoting for the Model Y.

Being a lower volume pack it isn't going to have the same cost efficiencies from volume. (And that applies to all of the parts.)
Yea, I imagine it all adds up - bigger battery, FWDs, air suspension, motorized front doors etc. Not even including the extra assembly labor time.

Because the Highland/Juniper refreshes are coming on those models, but they still need to keep busy in Q4 in the US and make them extra attractive so potential owners don't just sit on their hand and wait and delay.... that's my take on it.
I think this is probably the reason. Wouldn't be surprised to see them jack up prices again for refreshed M3.

Last edited:
I think these prices changes are horrific for the future of Tesla. I think this is gonna hurt them in the end. When you have a monopoly, you can do whatever you want. Once real competition rears its head, you get destroyed playing these games.

Other automakers do this but with “dealer incentives”. It’s super complex and confusing but the end result is that car values stay high or at least follow a defined curve. The Tesla method will make the used market shy away and further destroy values.
what real competition? rivian is the closest and they are losing 33k per car lol.

what real competition? rivian is the closest and they are losing 33k per car lol.
I agree. Tesla has no real competition in the US. This chart is shown in an article in Teslarati today. And I think the lead will get even bigger with the ongoing UAW strike. While the other manufacturers trying to figure out how not to lose too much money producing EV, Tesla keeps cutting their price to undermine the competition. I don’t see how the others can compete with Tesla in the US at this point

Attachments

• IMG_1263.png
    IMG_1263.png
    479.7 KB · Views: 56
I agree. Tesla has no real competition in the US. This chart is shown in an article in Teslarati today. And I think the lead will get even bigger with the ongoing UAW strike. While the other manufacturers trying to figure out how not to lose too much money producing EV, Tesla keeps cutting their price to undermine them. I don’t see how the others can compete with Tesla in the US at this point

Tesla does have some competition NOW, but it isn't a huge threat. Remember, it took Tesla a couple of years to get to where it is today. Kia, Volvo are releasing their new EV's in 2024. Just give it some time, and things will become clearer.

Nobody has the EV production capability of the Tesla right now. However, Tesla is starting to cut into its profit margins quite a bit. The other manufacturers still can profit from their ICE sales. Tesla's competitors haven't put their full attention/capabilities into EV's yet.

Last edited:

Let's say even at $8-9k more for the battery cost (which I sincerely doubt- online they are saying about a $4-5k difference), the Model X shouldn't still be $32k more than the Model Y. Remember, the battery prices are now coming down. We're not in 2022.