Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would paying extra for the car to cover the greed of the dealership accelerate production and change your timeline? Hate to break it to you but dealerships add zero value to the value chain…and no, they don’t make the line move faster. Would you prefer a system in which your extra payment to the dealership would serve somehow as a bribe to move your order ahead of the queue?

The heart of your problem/ our problem is you want the same thing others want right at this moment. I am certain many legacy car brand dealerships would welcome you with open arms right now; you’d have your pick off the lots.
Not sure what you’re on about but doesn’t really relate to me. I have yet to pay a dealership “extra” for a car off the lot or from an order. I typically pay below MSRP but off my most recent purchase I paid at MSRP. The one time I ordered a Kia Telluride from a dealership, they sold it to me at MSRP, told me the process for orders, the likelihood of when my order would be picked to be built, and when I could expect it. Most importantly, the dealership reached out to keep me informed but was within a week of the initial delivery quote. None of this moving around dates by months.

At the end of the day, I think direct to customer is the way we should go… I was just simply pointing out how Tesla’s current system is all over the place. I think your comments about dealerships and paying extra completely miss the mark of my initial post.

Reactions: msm859
No, it should only come with the receiver that you insert what you need into it. (There are what you waht 4 different ball sizes?)
I'm referring to this accessory. Is this included or we need to purchase it separately? Also, I don't see Tesla selling this on their website compatible for 2023+ model X.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 23
How would paying extra for the car to cover the greed of the dealership accelerate production and change your timeline? Hate to break it to you but dealerships add zero value to the value chain…and no, they don’t make the line move faster. Would you prefer a system in which your extra payment to the dealership would serve somehow as a bribe to move your order ahead of the queue?

The heart of your problem/ our problem is you want the same thing others want right at this moment. I am certain many legacy car brand dealerships would welcome you with open arms right now; you’d have your pick off the lots.

Yeah, I don't know what this response means. He was never mentioning paying extra for the car. He was just mentioning his displeasure at how Tesla lied about the delivery estimates and how they were severely underestimated. It's easy to extrapolate the estimated delivery date, yet Tesla continues to underestimate when the car would arrive. That's not him trying to "bribe" anyone, it was just more like Tesla was dishonest there.

The cynical part of me believes Tesla did this to get more $250 nonrefundable payments and boost their order numbers for the next earnings report. If Tesla was being honest, they would not have gotten as many orders if people knew that it was unlikely they could deliver by Dec 31.

Also, Tesla kind of did the same thing dealerships did with "market price" increases. The Model X is like $30-40k cheaper now than it was a couple of months ago. It was similar with the Model 3/Y too compared to last year. I don't see how Direct to Consumer benefits us more than dealerships do either. I can get a great deal from a dealership, it just means you have to shop around more. In the middle of the pandemic where everyone was paying $5k above MSRP, I bought my brand new 2022 Acura MDX in October 2021 for $5k below MSRP plus I was able to get 1.9% APR financing for 60 months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Visvism
Not sure what you’re on about but doesn’t really relate to me. I have yet to pay a dealership “extra” for a car off the lot or from an order. I typically pay below MSRP but off my most recent purchase I paid at MSRP. The one time I ordered a Kia Telluride from a dealership, they sold it to me at MSRP, told me the process for orders, the likelihood of when my order would be picked to be built, and when I could expect it. Most importantly, the dealership reached out to keep me informed but was within a week of the initial delivery quote. None of this moving around dates by months.

At the end of the day, I think direct to customer is the way we should go… I was just simply pointing out how Tesla’s current system is all over the place. I think your comments about dealerships and paying extra completely miss the mark of my initial post.
I’ve purchased 5 cars in the last 3 years and never once has the dealership added any value. I’m currently trying to get a deposit back on a Porsche I ordered 2.5 years ago and never received because the dealer keeps adding 50-100k markup on the ones that come in when they promised msrp initially.

Reactions: WiseShepherd

And the problem with the Tesla experience is I Suspect most people have never ordered a car before and don't know how bad they are. I've ordered from GM and Ford and they are light years ahead. 2005 I did a factory delivery on a Corvette in Bowling Green Kentucky. There was no guessing on when it was going to be built or when I was going to pick it up. There was no EDD bouncing around by months. There are no 72 hour notices to come and get it. This is not rocket science.

I’ve purchased 5 cars in the last 3 years and never once has the dealership added any value. I’m currently trying to get a deposit back on a Porsche I ordered 2.5 years ago and never received because the dealer keeps adding 50-100k markup on the ones that come in when they promised msrp initially.
You do realize the last 3 years in the automotive industry have not been the norm with a pandemic and supply chain issues that followed. Once again and for the last time I’ll state, my original message was not about the quality (or lack thereof) with dealerships, it’s about the lack of consistency and transparency with Tesla when it comes to their cars. All dealerships could disappear tomorrow and I would not shed a tear…

The cynical part of me believes Tesla did this to get more $250 nonrefundable payments and boost their order numbers for the next earnings report. If Tesla was being honest, they would not have gotten as many orders if people knew that it was unlikely they could deliver by Dec 31
Tesla only reports delivery number in their earning report, not order number. So, scamming people for more order doesn’t really do them any good unless those orders translate to delivery. The funny thing is sometimes Tesla downplayed the order numbers. Like the order tracker said that Tesla is at 2M+ orders for the cybertruck. But Tesla never confirmed those numbers. The only thing Elon said that the order number was off the hook that you couldn’t see the hook anymore. Now, I’m not saying that Tesla is always accurate with their EDD. But I’m sure they didn’t do it to scam people. Maybe I’m lucky. But this is my 5th Tesla and all of my EDDs were very accurate. Even during the X refreshed, my EDD was a year out. And guess what. I got it exactly at the first month of my initial EDD.

For me, the dealership experiences I have was actually BETTER than Tesla's Direct To Consumer experience. I bought 4 BRAND NEW vehicles in the past 3 years (2020 Toyota Rav4, 2022 Acura MDX, 2021 Ford Mustang Mach E GT, and 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe) and for every one, I got at least $5k off MSRP. The only car I did NOT get any discount was Mustang Mach E GT, which is what I got for MSRP at a dealership in 3/2022 which I did not order direct to consumer from Ford right when there was a shortage of those vehicles. It was sitting on the dealer lot.

It really just depends on how well you shop. Good deals can be found if you bother to look. With Tesla, you can't get any deals unless you find one in inventory heavily discounted at a random Tesla dealer, which is no different than me going to find a dealer having such deals. I don't see any advantage or disadvantage between dealer vs Tesla's Direct to Consumer. I guess the difference is that the pricing is more transparent with Tesla?

Also, realize that a big disadvantage is that when there a huge price drops with Tesla models, you'll find out easily online vs buying from dealerships. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. Big price drops from Tesla makes people feel unsettled. If Tesla drops the Model X by another $10k starting Jan 2024, you can bet I would be really upset at Tesla and turn me off from them in the future.

Last edited:
Tesla only reports delivery number in their earning report, not order number. So, scamming people for more order doesn’t really do them any good unless those orders translate to delivery. The funny thing is sometimes Tesla downplayed the order numbers. Like the order tracker said that Tesla is at 2M+ orders for the cybertruck. But Tesla never confirmed those numbers. The only thing Elon said that the order number was off the hook that you couldn’t see the hook anymore. Now, I’m not saying that Tesla is always accurate with their EDD. But I’m sure they didn’t do it to scam people. Maybe I’m lucky. But this is my 5th Tesla and all of my EDDs were very accurate. Even during the X refreshed, my EDD was a year out. And guess what. I got it exactly at the first month of my initial EDD.

You make it sound like it doesn't give Tesla any advantage in their quarterly reports. I apologize, and what I meant is that it gives them more income, which does get reported. $250 and 10k orders which are nonrefundable amounts to $2,500,000 which is reported as income.

Also for me, it's already the second month of my original estimated delivery date. I still haven't received a VIN yet.

Last edited:
You make it sound like it doesn't give Tesla any advantage in their quarterly reports. I apologize, and what I meant is that it gives them more income, which does get reported. $250 and 10k orders which are nonrefundable amounts to $2,500,000 which is reported as income.
I doubt they got 10k Model X order cancellation in a year, not to mention in a quarter. Also, their last quarter revenue was 23.35 Billion dollars. Additional $2.5M won’t even change the decimal digit in their earning report

Reactions: DrIlyich
I doubt they got 10k Model X order cancellation in a year, not to mention in a quarter. Also, their last quarter revenue was 23.35 Billion dollars. Additional $2.5M won’t even change the decimal digit in their earning report

I'm not talking about Model X cancellations. I'm talking about people who wouldn't have ordered this quarter if they knew they weren't getting the car by Dec 31 because of the tax credit.

For example, if I knew that Tesla advertised the actual real estimated date in January-Feb instead of Nov-Dec in October, I would've just waited until next year to place my order instead. People are mostly buying the base Model X LR because of the tax credit.

Also, if an additional $2.5M won't make a difference, then there's no need for Tesla to lie about EDD, and just shows how incompetent their estimated delivery system is. For a company that's supposedly a good tech company and using AI, you would expect them to be a little more transparent and have much better EDD.

Judging by the past two months since the price drop's serial numbers, Tesla has produced about 9K Model X's (415XXX-424XXX currently.) They're making about 4.5k Model X's per month. If current EDD is now into March, and they're still working on orders that are placed in the first week of September, they must've gotten a lot more orders than we think.

Last edited:
Reactions: chillaban
You do realize the last 3 years in the automotive industry have not been the norm with a pandemic and supply chain issues that followed. Once again and for the last time I’ll state, my original message was not about the quality (or lack thereof) with dealerships, it’s about the lack of consistency and transparency with Tesla when it comes to their cars. All dealerships could disappear tomorrow and I would not shed a tear…
Yes, and it's these past 3 years that have allowed the dealers to show their greed and deception due to the scarcity of cars.
For me, the dealership experiences I have was actually BETTER than Tesla's Direct To Consumer experience. I bought 4 BRAND NEW vehicles in the past 3 years (2020 Toyota Rav4, 2022 Acura MDX, 2021 Ford Mustang Mach E GT, and 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe) and for every one, I got at least $5k off MSRP. The only car I did NOT get any discount was Mustang Mach E GT, which is what I got for MSRP at a dealership in 3/2022 which I did not order direct to consumer from Ford right when there was a shortage of those vehicles. It was sitting on the dealer lot.

It really just depends on how well you shop. Good deals can be found if you bother to look. With Tesla, you can't get any deals unless you find one in inventory heavily discounted at a random Tesla dealer, which is no different than me going to find a dealer having such deals. I don't see any advantage or disadvantage between dealer vs Tesla's Direct to Consumer. I guess the difference is that the pricing is more transparent with Tesla?

Also, realize that a big disadvantage is that when there a huge price drops with Tesla models, you'll find out easily online vs buying from dealerships. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. Big price drops from Tesla makes people feel unsettled. If Tesla drops the Model X by another $10k starting Jan 2024, you can bet I would be really upset at Tesla and turn me off from them in the future.
I'm surprised you were able to get a Mustang Mach E GT in 2021 off the dealer lot for MSRP. Are you in a less populated area? Here, you couldn't even get a Toyota Corolla locally without a 5k markup. There was only one Toyota dealer in socal willing to sell Rav4 Primes for MSRP and we waited 6 months for my MIL's car. Have dealers lying about inventory/price over the phone. The best part is for the average consumer, after getting fleeced by the sales guy you wait to get fleeced by the finance guy.

I would consider myself a savvy car shopper. I called 30+ Porsche dealerships throughout the United States trying to get on a list for a 911 GT3 at MSRP and found one willing to do it in writing in North Carolina but that never materialized over the last 2-3 years. All the local dealers wanted 30k above sticker. In hindsight I probably should've pulled the trigger at 30k above as that's considered a good deal now and I would've been able to enjoy the car for 2 years.

I'm not talking about Model X cancellations. I'm talking about people who wouldn't have ordered this quarter if they knew they weren't getting the car by Dec 31 because of the tax credit.

For example, if I knew that Tesla advertised the actual real estimated date in January-Feb instead of Nov-Dec in October, I would've just waited until next year to place my order instead. People are mostly buying the base Model X LR because of the tax credit.

Also, if an additional $2.5M won't make a difference, then there's no need for Tesla to lie about EDD, and just shows how incompetent their estimated delivery system is. For a company that's supposedly a good tech company and using AI, you would expect them to be a little more transparent and have much better EDD.

Judging by the past two months since the price drop's serial numbers, Tesla has produced about 9K Model X's (415XXX-424XXX currently.) They're making about 4.5k Model X's per month. If current EDD is now into March, and they're still working on orders that are placed in the first week of September, they must've gotten a lot more orders than we think.
If I have to bet my money, I think the discrepancy in EDD is caused by the complexity of shipping hundreds thousand of cars around the country every quarter (I’m talking about all models, not just X). Everyone’s EDD would have been accurate if everyone took the delivery in Fremont and ordered the same configuration and colors. But we know that’s not the case and it’s hard to predict how many orders for each configuration come from each region. So, if you live far from Fremont and there is a spike of orders from your region, Tesla might not be able to ship your car within the EDD in the order page. This is my theory and I won’t call your theory wrong either. The fact is no one outside a handful of people in Tesla know their delivery algorithm if there is any.

BTW, your original EDD was Oct - Nov. So, you might still get your car within your original EDD and I hope you will

Last edited:
If I have to bet my money, I think the discrepancy in EDD is caused by the complexity of shipping hundreds thousand of cars around the country every quarter (I’m talking about all models, not just X). Everyone’s EDD would have been accurate if everyone took the delivery in Fremont and ordered the same configuration and colors. But we know that’s not the case and it’s hard to predict how many orders for each configuration come from each region. So, if you live far from Fremont and there is a spike of orders from your region, Tesla might not be able to ship your car within the EDD in the order page. This is my theory and I won’t call your theory wrong either. The fact is no one outside a handful of people in Tesla know their delivery algorithm if there is any.

BTW, your original EDD was Oct - Nov. So, you might still get your car within your original EDD and I hope you will
Not true - at all. The number one selling vehicle in the country is the Ford F series trucks. Between 1996 - 2006 I special ordered 4 of them - never a problem with EDD. If you want to talk complexity in orders, they have over 10,000 combinations you can order. And they ship far more all around the country. Tesla's in contrast are pretty basic. 5 colors, 2 or 3 different interiors, 2 different wheels and 2 or 3 trims per model. Even right now they are advertising you can get a X Plaid in Dec- Jan, yet they updated my October order all the way. to Jan 3 - Feb 28. And that is for a delivery less than 200 miles from the factory.