Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Were the miles the exact same?
Were the miles the exact

Can't remember the details. I think the person had incorrectly put the wrong year into the trade-in estimator and noticed the price difference. The rest of the details were the same if I recall.. I think it was in this thread not too long ago.
you can check for yourself go to KBB.com inter same car twice with different year and see for yourself

you can check for yourself go to KBB.com inter same car twice with different year and see for yourself
What I learned is that some years there's a bigger difference in resell value because that year may have included a significant change (e.g. MX 2018 vs MX 2019 when they released the raven). The problem with these sites like KBB/Edmunds/etc. is that I think they are basing their estimate on the assumption that your car falling in that year has the upgraded feature. However, when you actually sell it, if you don't have the upgrade, I would assume a perspective buyer (with some basic knowledge of Tesla features) would not value an early 2024 w/o say front camera and ambient light (since these are the current talked about hotness) the same as a mid/late 2024 with front camera and ambient light as a hypothetical example. At the end of the day, it's what's actually in your car that will determine if there's significant bump in resell value.

What I learned is that some years there's a bigger difference in resell value because that year may have included a significant change (e.g. MX 2018 vs MX 2019 when they released the raven). The problem with these sites like KBB/Edmunds/etc. is that I think they are basing their estimate on the assumption that your car falling in that year has the upgraded feature. However, when you actually sell it, if you don't have the upgrade, I would assume a perspective buyer (with some basic knowledge of Tesla features) would not value an early 2024 w/o say front camera and ambient light (since these are the current talked about hotness) the same as a mid/late 2024 with front camera and ambient light as a hypothetical example. At the end of the day, it's what's actually in your car that will determine if there's significant bump in resel

Someone recently posted about their experience with selling a used Model Y. There was a few thousand difference in trade-in value for 1 year difference between cars. This was about 4 years after purchase. Obviously the longer you hold onto the car, the less difference there would be a for a 1 year VIN difference.
Well as for me I prefer a RF_________ {2024} VIN

What I learned is that some years there's a bigger difference in resell value because that year may have included a significant change (e.g. MX 2018 vs MX 2019 when they released the raven). The problem with these sites like KBB/Edmunds/etc. is that I think they are basing their estimate on the assumption that your car falling in that year has the upgraded feature. However, when you actually sell it, if you don't have the upgrade, I would assume a perspective buyer (with some basic knowledge of Tesla features) would not value an early 2024 w/o say front camera and ambient light (since these are the current talked about hotness) the same as a mid/late 2024 with front camera and ambient light as a hypothetical example. At the end of the day, it's what's actually in your car that will determine if there's significant bump in resell value.

Honestly will depend on the buyer. If you are on this forum, for the most part, you are more informed than the average person buying a Tesla. But in the resale world, I think there are a ton of people that aren't going to notice or care that one car has matrix headlights, and another does not. Heck that same person might not even notice the difference if the two cars are side by side, under a quick glance. Those types of buyers will put more weight on a car being a 2024 vs a 2023. Think of all the people that go into dealerships relying on the salesman to explain the options a particular model car has. No I'm not saying that's all car buyers, and again if you are on this forum, more often than not you are more informed versus the general public. But for the non enthusiast, a newer year "numbered" car will hold some weight when looking at the used car market. The person the messages you "Is this available" on Marketplace probably only sees "Tesla" & "Newer" and the rest is moot.

Reactions: awd_rails
There isn't even an argument to be had here - in general a later model year vehicle will elicit a 2-3K+ price difference from the prior year. It's just a fact in the car business and the car resale market. Tesla is no different when on the auction block. There may be some outliers based on differentiation in the product (a rare more desirable feature set) but that is few and far between. I'm not sure why people try to continue to argue this point.

Just because YOU don't want to jeopardize the tax incentives doesn't mean others don't.

2017 Model X P100D vs 2018 Model X P100D

Same miles. KBB is $1000 HIGHER for the 2017 than the 2018.

There isn't even an argument to be had here - in general a later model year vehicle will elicit a 2-3K+ price difference from the prior year. It's just a fact in the car business and the car resale market. Tesla is no different when on the auction block. There may be some outliers based on differentiation in the product (a rare more desirable feature set) but that is few and far between. I'm not sure why people try to continue to argue this point.

Just because YOU don't want to jeopardize the tax incentives doesn't mean others don't.
We continue to argue this point because its not necessarily true for Teslas. I've sold 5 Teslas (a mix of private party and trade in). When getting actual quotes and creating listings, model year differences made *very* little difference. Within a few hundred dollars.

2017 Model X P100D vs 2018 Model X P100D

Same miles. KBB is $1000 HIGHER for the 2017 than the 2018.
Cherry picking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Operator
I just received a call from my SA; an exact match to my order became available! I’m hopeful it wasn’t rejected by someone else. Prior to this, my EDD was 12/31-2/25.
IMG_0495.jpeg

Model X Saga:
My order date: 9/6
Tesla app order date: 9/7
MXLR Ultra Red poverty edition

EDD1: Oct- Nov
EDD2: Oct 10- Nov 21
EDD3: Oct 10- Nov 14
EDD4: Oct 24- Nov 28
EDD5: Oct 30- Nov 20
EDD6: Oct 31- Nov 21
EDD7: Nov 1- Nov 21
EDD8: Nov 2- Nov 21
EDD9: Nov 3- Nov 21
EDD10: Nov 4- Nov 21
EDD11: Nov 5- Nov 21
EDD12: Nov 6-Nov 22
EDD13: Nov 7-Nov 23

RECEIVED A VIN! Nov 8
PF423XXX
@mathnerd88
Very happy for you!! This seems to corroborate what I posted recently...that VINs trending +/- 60days from OD. Hope it holds true for my OD of September 30 :D 🙏 🤞