Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
says demo 15 miles. I assume '24 demos are coming and they are selling '23s. 15 miles is nothing, probably just mileage to get it to the store, and they changed their mind

Most all new Teslas will have 15 miles on it when you take delivery, though I've seen some as low as 7 miles only. Though I suspect that those with 7 miles probably did not go through the full QC drive test from the factory. I'd suggest rejecting if assigned a 7 miles VIN...j/k 😬

Is a bit odd to see a VIN with 15 miles on it that's flagged as a demo though. Even when you reject a VIN, Tesla would reassign it as a new vehicle.

Guess it could be showroom model that was literally never driven.

Last edited:
Not only that, but gsxdsm also does this on reddit forums talking about a 24 year vin as well.
Yep, I love it! Mainly because:

1) It’s intuitive and assumed that Tesla would introduce changes at a model year boundary and
2) It’s intuitive and assumed that newer model year equals a large difference in value.

But both aren’t true. Tesla doesn’t follow model years for changes AND based on my own experience and KBB the difference is either minimal or actually higher for a prior year model.

I love it when there are counterpoints to intuition and assumptions that can be proven with data and facts. Can’t get enough of it.

(And to be fair - it’s all in good fun! There’s nothing wrong with wanting a 24 VIN. Hell I was debating putting a hold on my order to get a 24 VIN, just because it feels newer! Anyway, I’ll give it a rest :) )

MXLR White/Black - Poverty Edition
So CA Upland
OD 9/9/23
EDD Oct-Nov
EDD2 9/19 Nov-Dec
EDD3 10/8-12/09
EDD4 10/18-11/22
EDD5 10/31-12/5
EDD6 11/5-11/26
EDD7 11/6-11/26
EDD8 11/7-11/26
EDD9 11/8-11/26
EDD10 11/9-11/27

Come on Tesla you can doooooo itttt!

me: Is the demo car physically at the location, for me to look at?

Tesla: Yes, but you cannot look at it.

me: So.. if I'm standing 3 feet from from the car, my eyes cease to function?

Tesla: you are welcome to try. I have explained the blah blah blah

For a company that allegedly wants to sell cars, they sure know how to piss people off.

I thought about driving out to check it out, and buy it today. But instead I'm just ticked off now.

For a company that allegedly wants to sell cars, they sure know how to piss people off.

I thought about driving out to check it out, and buy it today. But instead I'm just ticked off now.
This literally makes no sense. Isn't a demo car available to be driven? Unless they are in the process of fixing/detailing/etc.

Can you make an appointment for a "demo" drive?

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl

Years ago when I bought my Lexus I called around and found a dealer that had the car/color combo I wanted (it was hard to find the combo I wanted), I called and confirmed the car was there. I asked to see the car and was told it was not in a condition to be able to be seen yet. It had to be cleaned and detailed. I told them I don't care of the cleanliness condition and want to see it to confirm it had no dings/scratches or issues and will buy it right then and there if good. I told them they can hold the car for however long they needed it after I bought it to detail it and then I will pick it up. They said OK, I saw it, bought it and picked it up three days later after it was fully detailed.

I think, when they said "you're welcome to try". It really put me over the edge. Like.. I'm going to physically go there and fight the sales person to see the car? No. I'm not. Because that would be stupid.

But if it's sitting, in a lot, with a dozen other cars, and I'm 12 inches from it... I can 'see' it. (no one tell Tesla).

I guess I'll just wait at this point, then I know it's a 'brand new car'. (Even if this demo is also new). Or maybe it's been in the showroom for 5 months, who knows. I never will because instead of trying to MAKE a sale, I get yelled at for wanting to SEE something that's going to cost me over $80,000.

I was ready to go for a 2 hr drive to see this thing, and now I just.. not a happy camper.

Also, they asked for my loan payoff again.
So i'm 99% sure the "trade in value" is Loan Payoff + $29.99. that's how they do those.

I think, when they said "you're welcome to try". It really put me over the edge. Like.. I'm going to physically go there and fight the sales person to see the car? No. I'm not. Because that would be stupid.

But if it's sitting, in a lot, with a dozen other cars, and I'm 12 inches from it... I can 'see' it. (no one tell Tesla).

I guess I'll just wait at this point, then I know it's a 'brand new car'. (Even if this demo is also new). Or maybe it's been in the showroom for 5 months, who knows. I never will because instead of trying to MAKE a sale, I get yelled at for wanting to SEE something that's going to cost me over $80,000.

I was ready to go for a 2 hr drive to see this thing, and now I just.. not a happy camper.

So i'm 99% sure the "trade in value" is Loan Payoff + $29.99. that's how they do those.
The other thing that annoys me about Tesla (could be a State law issue) is they don't let you go elsewhere to buy a car. Like I can't go up to PA to buy a car that will be registered in VA.

For my first Model X, I went to the delivery center and looked for my car in the parking lot a day before. I found it and inspected the exterior. Unless the car is in the fenced in area, they can’t really prevent you from inspecting it. Also, you might be just unlucky talking to a bad SA. Sometimes if you call again, you might get a nicer one. But if I were you, I would just go and try to find the car in the parking lot

It doesn’t bother me, I just don’t know what people are expecting to be different about a ‘24. I am genuinely curious if folks think Tesla is going to adopt a model where they tie changes to a model year, or if it’s just some perceived increase in value due to a newer VIN or something else….
its all about resale values down the road. 2023 vs 2024 can make a difference depending on many factors.

Tesla will continue to apply this terrible sales tactic until someone takes them to court with a class action lawsuit. How can a company be able to sell you a 100K product and not let you inspect it prior to paying for it. REASON because WE AS THE CONSUMERS keep purchasing the product with that Sales policy in place. What we need as consumers is to have one of our Attorney Tesla owners look into a class action suit and force Tesla to be more consumer friendly and allow the customer to open their cars at the time of sale prior to excepting it. ANY TAKERS ?

Model X Saga:
My order date: 9/6
Tesla app order date: 9/7
MXLR Ultra Red poverty edition

EDD1: Oct- Nov
EDD2: Oct 10- Nov 21
EDD3: Oct 10- Nov 14
EDD4: Oct 24- Nov 28
EDD5: Oct 30- Nov 20
EDD6: Oct 31- Nov 21
EDD7: Nov 1- Nov 21
EDD8: Nov 2- Nov 21