Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My vin on the 15mile demo is 419xxx and I just asked the SC to find out the manufacturing date and they told me it is Oct 16th! also confirmed it was HW4. It feels like they may just have had mine for a few days in the showroom and then decided to sell it. They did say they had to move it from the show room to the location where I pick up (both in the same city)

Yeah we’ve gotten maybe a half dozen X’s between loaners, extended test drives, and now finally owning one. The FWDs have worried me the most so we spent a lot of time playing around with them in all sorts of scenarios and this is definitely the pattern we see.

Luckily we’ve never encountered one so misaligned that it scrapes or refuses to close. I definitely would reject delivery of THAT. But otherwise I’ve not seen a single one that closes to perfect alignment each and every time. Especially when it does the tight parking space motion.

I think most delivery centers don’t let you inside the vehicle prior to accepting, so panel gap might be the only thing you can look at to determine functionality of FWD.

Seems like we have all drank the koolaid to accept these risks with FWD successful operation.

I think most delivery centers don’t let you inside the vehicle prior to accepting, so panel gap might be the only thing you can look at to determine functionality of FWD.

Seems like we have all drank the koolaid to accept these risks with FWD successful operation.
I was able to inspect my car while still sorting out financing. I was offered to take a test drive but wanted to wait until delivery. Looking back, may have been a good idea for a test drive in case there’s any issues.

I've seen multiple mentions of vacation holds for 2 weeks. So if you do that and you have a VIN I assume they re-assign the VIN and not hold the car for you? Can you do a vacation hold before getting a VIN?

I'm asking not because I want a 2024 necessarily, but because of you know, like an actual vacation coming up.

Also, how do you do the hold? I dont see that option on their site or through the app.

I've seen multiple mentions of vacation holds for 2 weeks. So if you do that and you have a VIN I assume they re-assign the VIN and not hold the car for you? Can you do a vacation hold before getting a VIN?

I'm asking not because I want a 2024 necessarily, but because of you know, like an actual vacation coming up.

Also, how do you do the hold? I dont see that option on their site or through the app.
text your tesla guy you want a hold and thats it. If you dont have a VIN no problem, if you have a VIN and hold it, that counts as your 1 hold

Reactions: TallCoolOne
text your tesla guy you want a hold and thats it. If you dont have a VIN no problem, if you have a VIN and hold it, that counts as your 1 hold
When you say it counts as my 1 hold, you mean they will hold my VIN (i.e that car) for me until I am back? Or I have to wait for a new VIN and that's my only chance to do that, I have to take the next one? And in the second scenario, what if the car has major issues, you can't reject?

When you say it counts as my 1 hold, you mean they will hold my VIN (i.e that car) for me until I am back? Or I have to wait for a new VIN and that's my only chance to do that, I have to take the next one? And in the second scenario, what if the car has major issues, you can't reject?
If you are assigned a VIN and you want a "hold", they put your account on hold for up to 2 weeks and release your VIN to someone else. From what I am told, when you "unrelease" your hold you are put towards the front of the line. This would count as your only hold / Pre-delivery VIN rejection. If you are assigned another VIN and on delivery day reject that car, from what I am told it depends on the situation as you are aware, Tesla can do what they want especially towards end of quarter push.

Reactions: TallCoolOne

FWIW I’ve only gotten delivery at the Fremont factory or other Bay Area locations but they’ve consistently allowed me to play around with the car before delivery. Indeed they don’t let you drive it but they did allow me to play around with all the doors as much as my heart wants.

I do agree there’s a lot that we’ve agreed to sacrifice for these ridiculous overengineered doors!

FWIW I’ve only gotten delivery at the Fremont factory or other Bay Area locations but they’ve consistently allowed me to play around with the car before delivery. Indeed they don’t let you drive it but they did allow me to play around with all the doors as much as my heart wants.

I do agree there’s a lot that we’ve agreed to sacrifice for these ridiculous overengineered doors!
You mean “COOL ridiculous over engineered doors”