Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirmed: a car produced on Mar 5 doesn’t have an additional front camera or ambient lighting. Do not trust Teslascope.
Major Bummer! They were so confident at Teslascope!

Hey both! Just to be super clear, I (Teslascope) made an effort to never provide an exact date, only that the transition would take place in March! My small team works really hard to keep in communication with varying sources to confirm information prior to it being published. Other publications similarly posted about the changes such as NotATeslaApp, who actually beat us to reporting on it by about thirty minutes.

One source of possible confusion was when someone asked if the changes would be “starting tomorrow” to which I replied “Correct”. The intention of this was to communicate that these changes could occur anytime starting March 1st, but not guarenteed. There have been a number of replies that I’ve ensured to say it would likely act like the initial transition to HW4, which took months to complete.

There have been numerous accounts who have incorrectly shared and stated it would be March 1st onward, which is and never was true. I’ve tried to avoid reposting or otherwise sharing these posts.

What is known is that many orders saw a delay in their estimated orders by 3-5 weeks just three days after the initial reporting on the changes. We’ve further been staying up to date with those who have access to the internal EPC and MFS to see when these parts transition from prototype to the production line status. They are currently marked as “In Progress” since February 29th.

As a last note, when we reported on the introduction of HW4 to the Model S/X, this was also reported early and we equally received backlash. Just two weeks later, the changes began to appear.

Hey both! Just to be super clear, I (Teslascope) made an effort to never provide an exact date, only that the transition would take place in March! My small team works really hard to keep in communication with varying sources to confirm information prior to it being published. Other publications similarly posted about the changes such as NotATeslaApp, who actually beat us to reporting on it by about thirty minutes.

One source of possible confusion was when someone asked if the changes would be “starting tomorrow” to which I replied “Correct”. The intention of this was to communicate that these changes could occur anytime starting March 1st, but not guarenteed. There have been a number of replies that I’ve ensured to say it would likely act like the initial transition to HW4, which took months to complete.

There have been numerous accounts who have incorrectly shared and stated it would be March 1st onward, which is and never was true. I’ve tried to avoid reposting or otherwise sharing these posts.

What is known is that many orders saw a delay in their estimated orders by 3-5 weeks just three days after the initial reporting on the changes. We’ve further been staying up to date with those who have access to the internal EPC and MFS to see when these parts transition from prototype to the production line status. They are currently marked as “In Progress” since February 29th.

As a last note, when we reported on the introduction of HW4 to the Model S/X, this was also reported early and we equally received backlash. Just two weeks later, the changes began to appear.
I appreciate you responding and I totally get it. You’ve got no real insight into this. There are a lot of mixed messages especially from a few that have responded to your tweet advising that someone at Tesla told them it’s true.

The issue is I have a hard time believing that because I’ve had dozens of conversations over text and over the phone and they stand by “no hardware changes at this time”. Tesla would potentially be risking 100s if not 1000s of deliveries at the end of a quarter by releasing these updates at this point. I’d imagine from a business perspective it makes sense for them to release it at the start of a quarter. Maybe they will start production in March but probably have zero intention of delivering those vehicles in March. Too many people would delay delivery and screw up Tesla’s quarterly targets. Wouldn’t you agree?

I love your account and think you do a great job! This stuff just happens this way due to how Tesla iterates on their models but that’s just how it is! Appreciate the work you do!

• Love
Reactions: tylercorsair
I appreciate you responding and I totally get it. You’ve got no real insight into this. There are a lot of mixed messages especially from a few that have responded to your tweet advising that someone at Tesla told them it’s true.

The issue is I have a hard time believing that because I’ve had dozens of conversations over text and over the phone and they stand by “no hardware changes at this time”. Tesla would potentially be risking 100s if not 1000s of deliveries at the end of a quarter by releasing these updates at this point. I’d imagine from a business perspective it makes sense for them to release it at the start of a quarter. Maybe they will start production in March but probably have zero intention of delivering those vehicles in March. Too many people would delay delivery and screw up Tesla’s quarterly targets. Wouldn’t you agree?
Completely agree.

Side note, there is a trove of evidence regarding both major components in already delivered 2024 Model S and X vehicles. The vehicles include the wiring required for the bumper camera, and there is cabling tied off hidden inside the interior dashboard to support the ambient lights as future retrofits. This has been confirmed by those who have already taken delivery. There’s a lot that can be actionable, but just waiting for everything to be finalized.

It’s very much become a when, more than an if. 👍

I love your account and think you do a great job! This stuff just happens this way due to how Tesla iterates on their models but that’s just how it is! Appreciate the work you do!
Thank you! Almost across the board, Tesla has been having some issues with part supply which has impacted almost every vehicle except for the Cybertruck! Everything is settling now based on data from their MFS, but been a challenge.

Reactions: prindiaos
When did wiring start to appear? Only on 2024s or some 2023s also?
Only 2024s. This is largely why the 2024 Model S and X didn’t begin until mid to late January, as they lacked even the wiring. Typically we’ve begun to see 2024 VINs in December.

We’ve seen some individuals share that their delays were communicated by their advisors as relating to the changes. However, there’s no way to confirm what they’ve shared.

Thank you! Almost across the board, Tesla has been having some issues with part supply which has impacted almost every vehicle except for the Cybertruck! Everything is settling now based on data from their MFS, but been a challenge.
Thanks for the work you do in trying to give us all a heads-up on changes!

Do you know if the wiring for the bumper cam is for a camera near the Tesla logo? Or are they going with cameras in the headlights that I also saw rumoured?

Only 2024s. This is largely why the 2024 Model S and X didn’t begin until mid to late January, as they lacked even the wiring. Typically we’ve begun to see 2024 VINs in December.

We’ve seen some individuals share that their delays were communicated by their advisors as relating to the changes. However, there’s no way to confirm what they’ve shared.

This is so strange as I was called by an SA about a delay early feb and now I am taking delivery in just a few days. We will see.

Thanks for the work you do in trying to give us all a heads-up on changes!

Do you know if the wiring for the bumper cam is for a camera near the Tesla logo? Or are they going with cameras in the headlights that I also saw rumoured?
That headlights rumor is essentially dropped; it was bad information presented to a customer by an advisor which we unfortunately ran with. One of those situations where we should have done the due diligence prior to sharing the delivered Model X photo. We were already made privy to the HW4 transition taking place soon (in addition to the upgraded cameras), but didn’t actually come to fruition until two weeks later.

The wiring is present along the same track as the PWS but capped. Similar to the cables in the cabin for the ambient lights being tapped.

Reactions: Pcuz
I highly doubt your car was built on March 5th. You should confirm the actual build date of your car before calling people out.
What is your high degree of doubt premised on? A Teslascope story that Mr. Teslascope himself said he wasn’t sure when the changes would be implemented?

I’ve been obsessed with this topic, as I have a pending Model X order myself, and nothing I’ve seen on TMC, Reddit, or Twitter has definitively established when these rumored changes would appear.