Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of incentives on stock inventory. I got a call yesterday that they would repaint any inventory car I wanted at no cost or change the interior color, plus $1,000 off incentive. They said I basically had until Friday as it would take a while to change colors.
Gross, but even if you did want to do that, $100 says that they want you to take delivery of the car first, they'll paint it later. But when you try to make an appointment to get it painted, magically no one will know what you're talking about. SAs say anything to close the sale.

Reactions: mr-dmitry
Gross, but even if you did want to do that, $100 says that they want you to take delivery of the car first, they'll paint it later. But when you try to make an appointment to get it painted, magically no one will know what you're talking about. SAs say anything to close the sale.
No. They said they could get it painted in a week. They said I would need to put a deposit down first.

That's what I said, but they said they have a lot of cars they want to move.
You understand this is a lie - to repaint a car you need to strip everything away - lights, trims, panels. Highly unlikely this is what they actually mean and even if they do, you don't want to accept that. Also, this is an exceptionally expensive and time consuming procedure, no way they are willing to do that to move inventory.

You understand this is a lie - to repaint a car you need to strip everything away - lights, trims, panels. Highly unlikely this is what they actually mean and even if they do, you don't want to accept that. Also, this is an exceptionally expensive and time consuming procedure, no way they are willing to do that to move inventory.
No. I don't believe it's a lie at all. They were willing to give me a VIN for insurance purposes and asked me if I want to change the color and if I do, I have to let them know by Friday.

Don't do it. Just take the color from the factory if you need that bad. I still don't believe they will actually repaint it - ask them what shop will do it.
I didn't. I asked them if they could wrap it instead and they said no. They said changing the interior would take longer and they may not be able to do it before the end of the month.

Here's the e-mail. I inquired what they meant and received a call 30 seconds later:

As a Tesla owner, you are eligible for our latest loyalty incentives when you take delivery of a qualifying Tesla by March 31, 2024. Order and take delivery of a vehicle from our existing inventory and receive your choice of paint or interior color upgrade,* plus 5,000 miles of free Supercharging.** Trade in your current vehicle and receive 5,000 more miles.

We appreciate your support in accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy.

*Excludes leases, Cybertruck and used cars. To qualify, the vehicle must be purchased from the Inventory Page using your existing Tesla account. Tesla will waive the cost of either the paint or interior upgrade, whichever is less, from your final contract price prior to delivery if eligible. Tesla does not guarantee delivery by the deadline. See terms.

Check how a car is generally painted in a factory. Notice the absence of any trim and interior fittings.

Now imagine a body shop repainting an assembled car. They definitely don't take apart the interior, but if you've ever been in a car painted at a shop, that smell will stay for weeks inside. Just forget about it (and it's not happening btw).

And curing that paint too ....

Check how a car is generally painted in a factory. Notice the absence of any trim and interior fittings.

Now imagine a body shop repainting an assembled car. They definitely don't take apart the interior, but if you've ever been in a car painted at a shop, that smell will stay for weeks inside. Just forget about it (and it's not happening btw).
You saying they won't or it's not happening is odd. This is an active Tesla program that they are e-mailing and calling people on.

It has to be an inventory vehicle. I agree it sounds crazy, but they are absolutely offering and basically begging people to do it.

I read that email differently - that you can choose from existing inventory with free paint "upgrade" assuming that is available in the inventory. So if the inventory has 10 red, 10 grey and 2 white cars you can pick white or red for free, but no blue (you have to wait for it to show in inventory). They will not pick the white car, send it to a shop, disassemble it, and repaint it, to satisfy your upgrade.

I read that email differently - that you can choose from existing inventory with free paint "upgrade" assuming that is available in the inventory. So if the inventory has 10 red, 10 grey and 2 white cars you can pick white or red for free, but no blue (you have to wait for it to show in inventory). They will not pick the white car, send it to a shop, disassemble it, and repaint it, to satisfy your upgrade.
That's why I requested a call.

They said they will actually paint the car which is why the terms say Tesla does not guarantee delivery by deadline. All the cars available for me are on site. I told them I didn't want it painted and asked for a wrap or credit to a wrap and he said no.

Edit: I wanted black seats, 6 seater, with Yoke. The only one available to be is Grey. I asked if they could just put a Yoke in the White version and they said no, "but that's the beauty of this deal, get the grey car painted white"...I wanted nothing to do with that.

Last edited:
I also strongly suspect it’s a lie; since we didn’t hear from the SA, that leaves the messenger.

I've never heard a bigger sales BS line in my life! NO way are they going to pull a car from inventory and repaint it. It would require a complete tear down of everything. I feel that they were just hoping to lock in a sale and then match you with a car or put one on order.
Why would they only allow this deal on existing inventory?

I agree it sounds fishy, but they are clearly doing it and have reached out to many existing owners about it.

The whole point of the deal is to get the cars delivered by end of March. The deal started March 8th.

I'm annoyed that I couldn't just get a different inventory car discounted, because there is a white one available. I just wanted a Yoke in it.

Tesla.com doesn't have anything additional on it.