Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also strongly suspect it’s a lie; since we didn’t hear from the SA, that leaves the messenger.
Wait, you're saying that I'm lying?

I'm saying this is confusing, but this is what Tesla (I assume Corporate, as they are from LV) is telling me. I am pretty interested in the 10k SC miles, $1k off CT promotion, and wanted to see if I could stack them, but he goes on this whole thing about how it's time sensitive if you want to change the colors and that I cannot pick a different color and simply change the yoke, I could get the grey car painted as part of the promotion, but it had to be finalized by Friday.

The SA is, not you. I should be careful using this word, it's loaded - maybe it's a misunderstanding. They also have a view on inventory that you don't (their internal inventory is usually larger and more up-to-date than public website) and maybe there is the color of your choice there or they expect it to show up within days because they see it being transported.

I didn't. I asked them if they could wrap it instead and they said no. They said changing the interior would take longer and they may not be able to do it before the end of the month.

Here's the e-mail. I inquired what they meant and received a call 30 seconds later:

As a Tesla owner, you are eligible for our latest loyalty incentives when you take delivery of a qualifying Tesla by March 31, 2024. Order and take delivery of a vehicle from our existing inventory and receive your choice of paint or interior color upgrade,* plus 5,000 miles of free Supercharging.** Trade in your current vehicle and receive 5,000 more miles.

We appreciate your support in accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy.

*Excludes leases, Cybertruck and used cars. To qualify, the vehicle must be purchased from the Inventory Page using your existing Tesla account. Tesla will waive the cost of either the paint or interior upgrade, whichever is less, from your final contract price prior to delivery if eligible. Tesla does not guarantee delivery by the deadline. See terms.
That does not say they will repaint it lol

Reactions: ChiefRollo
Wait, you're saying that I'm lying?

I'm saying this is confusing, but this is what Tesla (I assume Corporate, as they are from LV) is telling me. I am pretty interested in the 10k SC miles, $1k off CT promotion, and wanted to see if I could stack them, but he goes on this whole thing about how it's time sensitive if you want to change the colors and that I cannot pick a different color and simply change the yoke, I could get the grey car painted as part of the promotion, but it had to be finalized by Friday.
You’re right. I was wrong in assuming that lying is the only possibility; it seems rather clear to me now that you simply misunderstood the SA and were passing it onto us here.

You’re right. I was wrong in assuming that lying is the only possibility; it seems rather clear to me now that you simply misunderstood the SA and were passing it onto us here.
I did not misunderstand anything. I even asked him what paint shop they would use and how they could possibly get that done starting on Friday 3/15 and it be quality. He said they get cars repainted all the time that are damaged in transit and that's not something I should be concerned about as I'd be able to inspect it upon delivery. I also asked if I could get it wrapped instead and he said he would check, then said no about 1 min later. He said Tesla doesn't currently offer wraps for the Model X, so that wouldn't be an option.

Again, I think this is an odd thing, but I agree that he may misunderstand the program.

I did not misunderstand anything. I even asked him what paint shop they would use and how they could possibly get that done starting on Friday 3/15 and it be quality. He said they get cars repainted all the time that are damaged in transit and that's not something I should be concerned about as I'd be able to inspect it upon delivery. I also asked if I could get it wrapped instead and he said he would check, then said no about 1 min later. He said Tesla doesn't currently offer wraps for the Model X, so that wouldn't be an option.

Again, I think this is an odd thing, but I agree that he may misunderstand the program.
Model X is already a risky buy when it comes to quality (disclaimer: i'm taking that risk lol), why enhance that risk to save $2,000 on paint? Sounds like the ensuing headaches will quickly offset any paint savings you agreed to.

i wonder how many parts will be left over once they put everything back together haha

• Funny
Reactions: SunnySideUp

Please, don't do this. If you have to order asap pick your 2nd best available color. Cars that get damaged in transit get panels repainted, not full paint jobs. It's different. Noone repaints brand new cars to move inventory. Not sure what this rep is smoking, if he's trying to convince you otherwise.

Please, don't do this. If you have to order asap pick your 2nd best available color. Cars that get damaged in transit get panels repainted, not full paint jobs. It's different. Noone repaints brand new cars to move inventory. Not sure what this rep is smoking, if he's trying to convince you otherwise.
I said I wasn't. I even told him I'd stick with Grey if those were the options.

I just thought it was odd and a strange way for Tesla to push cars.

Reactions: Milan Djabirov
It is really hit or miss on getting a good rep or not. We were lucky and got a fantastic rep on our first purchase when I went into the Tesla showroom at the local mall. I liked his responsiveness (even on his days off) and attention to detail that I hunted for him when it came time to get my second Tesla. He now works at a location about 60 miles away from me but I told him I wanted him to handle this purchase also which he did with the same level of service.

Reactions: csrpenfab
It is really hit or miss on getting a good rep or not. We were lucky and got a fantastic rep on our first purchase when I went into the Tesla showroom at the local mall. I liked his responsiveness (even on his days off) and attention to detail that I hunted for him when it came time to get my second Tesla. He now works at a location about 60 miles away from me but I told him I wanted him to handle this purchase also which he did with the same level of service.
My best service with Tesla has always been after a face to face. Try to get it when you can.

Wait, so Tesla both "confirmed Tesla Model X & S are NOT being produced with camera and lighting as of right now" AND they "have no statement on the situation"? I think this guy is just FOS, and looking for attention.

Even Teslascope stated "STARTING RIGHT NOW, Model S and X are being produced with it", and then later weaseled out of it saying "thats not what i meant, I meant that the changes could start any time from that point" which is BS. I know if I had inside information I was confident of, I'd just wait until its proven then reply back to the doubters with an "i told you so", not get so defensive as he has done in the comments here.
I'm sorry you feel it is BS. Not everyone treats inside information the same. The information I share has landed me calls and emails from Tesla's legal counsel many times, including these changes. I put myself at risk of subpoenas, and the sources I speak to also risk termination or legal action, and this is a consideration each and every time something is disclosed.

I completely take responsibility for the phrasing I chose and if it resulted in any confusion, but there was very much intent behind it. I've otherwise provided particular periods (such as "this weekend", "February 20th", etc.) when I am confident about a date.

1710290780314.png

I'll always apologize when an unexpected delay occurs, or something I said is factually incorrect. Still, I will always defend myself or act defensive when someone downplays what I have published. I take my credibility and the community's trust seriously.

Also, I comment on most matters, haha. I'd rather be transparent and share my thoughts than wait with that "I told you so" as you suggested!

Cheers.

Reactions: Dmithun
That guy is going hard for attention - I took a look at his twitter and he's beating this horse to death tagging everyone and elon and such - lol, super thirsty for eyeballs. But he's free to do whatever he wants I suppose.

I know this much - as my EDD approaches I'm getting more and more excited for the vehicle! I can't wait to pick it up and use it. I really don't care about the ambient lighting and the front camera would have been sweet for parking I suppose, but by no way a deal breaker. Somehow I managed to park a 98 Cavalier, and a few Jeep wranglers without front cameras and without smashing into stuff so I'll wing it with this one. I don't have that stuff on my model y and its still one of the best cars I've ever owned. I'm ready to put cameragate behind me and take delivery of this thing that I ordered before I even knew front cameras were a thing. Can't wait to drive it daily!!!

Are you sure you're talking about Teslascope / myself? I've not tagged Elon in a post in weeks, and never not about the Model S / X changes. The last time this happened was when we'd see Cyberpunk in the Cybertruck, which he had hinted at on many occasions historically.

Last Post Mentioning Him (January 24th): Last Mention In Reply (March 1st):
So, respectively, I am unsure where you're getting "beating this horse to death tagging everyone and Elon and such" from.

I often get confused for NotATeslaApp or other accounts...

Like I have been saying for months, if Tesla is going to make any changes it will announce them.

They didn't announce the existence of HW4 until nine months after it appeared in the first vehicles.
They didn't acknowledge the Pedestrian Warning System until two months after it appeared.
They didn't acknowledge the major brake changes to Performance trims that cheapened the brake pads until a year later.
They didn't acknowledge when some Model S and X were delivered with 8GB Infotainment Computers, which prevents access to Steam, and subsequently demanded $2500 for a paid retrofit, despite the order page displaying and mentioning it.
And dozens of other notable changes.

So, no, that is incorrect. Tesla does not always announce changes. They only announce changes with major revisions, such as the transition from Raven to Palladium for the Model S and X, or when they are legally required to such as when the Ryzen computer reduced range.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tiger
I'm sorry you feel it is BS. Not everyone treats inside information the same. The information I share has landed me calls and emails from Tesla's legal counsel many times, including these changes. I put myself at risk of subpoenas, and the sources I speak to also risk termination or legal action, and this is a consideration each and every time something is disclosed.

I completely take responsibility for the phrasing I chose and if it resulted in any confusion, but there was very much intent behind it. I've otherwise provided particular periods (such as "this weekend", "February 20th", etc.) when I am confident about a date.

View attachment 1027256

I'll always apologize when an unexpected delay occurs, or something I said is factually incorrect. Still, I will always defend myself or act defensive when someone downplays what I have published. I take my credibility and the community's trust seriously.

Also, I comment on most matters, haha. I'd rather be transparent and share my thoughts than wait with that "I told you so" as you suggested!

Cheers.
Seems like you’re getting lots of heat for this. Why not go back to your source/sources and ask for further clarification? In my opinion the March 1st date didn’t make sense because of the pressure Tesla is facing on ensuring they hit delivery targets.

Finally, do you still wholeheartedly believe this update is happening? It’s been reported on several times over the last 3-4 months but never came to fruition.

Seems like you’re getting lots of heat for this. Why not go back to your source/sources and ask for further clarification? In my opinion the March 1st date didn’t make sense because of the pressure Tesla is facing on ensuring they hit delivery targets.

Finally, do you still wholeheartedly believe this update is happening? It’s been reported on several times over the last 3-4 months but never came to fruition.
I did just yesterday and shared my conversation in the other Model S delivery thread this morning! I typically have very candid and casual conversations with everyone.

1710293313774.png

Yes, I wholeheartedly still believe this update is happening. It has been collaborated by two of our sources, which I discussed in this post, namely:

On Feburary 13th, someone once again asks Green if both will be present in the new Model S and X, to which he replies, "Yes, but the biggest question - the timing - I cannot answer.". He goes on to say that there have been mentions of both components in the code for quite a while but that he can't provide a timeline.

Around the same time, our source, who is deeply involved in part supply for Fremont, reached out to Teslascope and told us that the part order had finally come in. Despite this information, we remain quiet as we've yet to cross-reference this another source, which is typically a bare minimum requirement before publishing this type of information.

Finally, on January 29th, we're approached by another source who works on the "debug line", essentially the production line before the production line. New parts are first tested here and validated before they are introduced to the main lines. He informed our team that the ambient lighting, bumper camera, and other minor component revisions had all passed the validation and QC stages and would enter the production line starting next month (March).
Fun tidbit: The most recent photos of the white Model 3 "Ludicrous" were taken in a debug line, and the individual was terminated the following day.

1710293815710.png

Again, very casual conversations but I try to remain an open book. 😅

• Love
Reactions: Tiger and F123456
I did just yesterday and shared my conversation in the other Model S delivery thread this morning! I typically have very candid and casual conversations with everyone.

View attachment 1027271

Yes, I wholeheartedly still believe this update is happening. It has been collaborated by two of our sources, which I discussed in this post, namely:
Thanks for sharing. Have we ever seen a hardware changes mid-month and just randomly within a quarter before? I can’t imagine they would simultaneously be delivering a mix of vehicles to buyers, can you? Meaning on the same day some people are taking delivery of vehicles with the features and others without?

I have a VIN that was built 3/7 but it’s getting delivered between 3/23-3/30. I am a little curious as to why the delivery is taking so long since the vehicle is built and normally it takes no more than 10 days (for NJ). So I’m not sure if they are just holding it for some reason. Obviously the SA told me not to expect the changes.

Thanks for sharing. Have we ever seen a hardware changes mid-month and just randomly within a quarter before? I can’t imagine they would simultaneously be delivering a mix of vehicles to buyers, can you? Meaning on the same day some people are taking delivery of vehicles with the features and others without?

I have a VIN that was built 3/7 but it’s getting delivered between 3/23-3/30. I am a little curious as to why the delivery is taking so long since the vehicle is built and normally it takes no more than 10 days (for NJ). So I’m not sure if they are just holding it for some reason. Obviously the SA told me not to expect the changes.
Yes, almost all the time! 😃 In particular last year, the first Model S and X deliveries with HW4 (both the HW chip and the upgraded resolution cameras) took place on March 5th, with production starting in the weeks prior. The transition was also sloppy due to part constraints that ~3-5% of newly manufactured vehicles were still delivering with the old parts.

We also saw this happen with the Model Y, where the initial removal of ultrasonic sensors happened simultaneously with the upgrade to MCU3 (Ryzen Infotainment). However, Tesla kept delivering some vehicles without ultrasonics AND still MCU2 (Intel), which caused a lot of confusion and headaches this Christmas when some non-USS vehicles were receiving the Parking Visualizations, and others were not.

With the exception of MAJOR reworks, such as the new Model 3 and the Raven to Palladium transition for Model S and X, most changes occur randomly throughout the year, at times even days or weeks before a quarter ends.

Yes, almost all the time! 😃 In particular last year, the first Model S and X deliveries with HW4 (both the HW chip and the upgraded resolution cameras) took place on March 5th, with production starting in the weeks prior. The transition was also sloppy due to part constraints that ~3-5% of newly manufactured vehicles were still delivering with the old parts.

We also saw this happen with the Model Y, where the initial removal of ultrasonic sensors happened simultaneously with the upgrade to MCU3 (Ryzen Infotainment). However, Tesla kept delivering some vehicles without ultrasonics AND still MCU2 (Intel), which caused a lot of confusion and headaches this Christmas when some non-USS vehicles were receiving the Parking Visualizations, and others were not.

With the exception of MAJOR reworks, such as the new Model 3 and the Raven to Palladium transition for Model S and X, most changes occur randomly throughout the year, at times even days or weeks before a quarter ends.
Oh man that would drive me nuts! If I got an “outdated” vehicle the same day someone got an updated one. What the hell is wrong with Tesla! Well I guess I’ll see in a couple of weeks. I hope we start seeing reports of vehicles with these updates before I take delivery. So I can at least have an opportunity to reject it.

Reactions: tylercorsair
Are you sure you're talking about Teslascope / myself? I've not tagged Elon in a post in weeks, and never not about the Model S / X changes. The last time this happened was when we'd see Cyberpunk in the Cybertruck, which he had hinted at on many occasions historically.

Last Post Mentioning Him (January 24th): Last Mention In Reply (March 1st):
So, respectively, I am unsure where you're getting "beating this horse to death tagging everyone and Elon and such" from.

I often get confused for NotATeslaApp or other accounts...

They didn't announce the existence of HW4 until nine months after it appeared in the first vehicles.
They didn't acknowledge the Pedestrian Warning System until two months after it appeared.
They didn't acknowledge the major brake changes to Performance trims that cheapened the brake pads until a year later.
They didn't acknowledge when some Model S and X were delivered with 8GB Infotainment Computers, which prevents access to Steam, and subsequently demanded $2500 for a paid retrofit, despite the order page displaying and mentioning it.
And dozens of other notable changes.

So, no, that is incorrect. Tesla does not always announce changes. They only announce changes with major revisions, such as the transition from Raven to Palladium for the Model S and X, or when they are legally required to such as when the Ryzen computer reduced range.

Ah no. I wasn’t referring to you. I was referring to the person who was calling Tesla corporate because the SA told them there was a camera inbound and then a bunch of account ls picked up the mention and then when it turned out that it wasn't confirmed in their exact delivery window they started tweeting a storm about how they wanted compensation and such because the (probably close to minimum wage SA) misled them and they felt wronged. Then posted and looks like deleted some stuff on X. I think their account was makash or something like that. But I kinda feel bad calling them out cause the more that time passes the more I lean into the fact that it’s a free world and they can post whatever they want and feel however they want and it has zero impact on me and the joy I’ll have in getting my new car so to each their own and such and who am I to *sugar* on them.

Wasn’t referring to teslascope though. Keep up the good work. The news / scoops are fun - even if they take time to come to fruition.