Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery/Installation: Rear Facing Child Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the tan interior also, and the jump seats are black (or dark grey). They match the black carpet in the trunk area, so no problem there.

Like others have already mentioned, my kids love the jump seats too. It didn't take too many tries, they are now experts at getting in and out of the trunk, buckling themselves in/out, and also opening/closing the trunk themselves. There is a button that can be accessed from the inside by the occupant in the driver's side jump seat. They can open and close the trunk. The child lock setting accessed on the 17-inch display will disable that button along with the back year doors if enabled.

Bottom-line: These seats are working great!! I love that I can take 4 more adults along with 2 kids in the car. Its a mini-van disguised as a Jag or Maserati:love:

There is a button that can be accessed from the inside by the occupant in the driver's side jump seat. They can open and close the trunk. The child lock setting accessed on the 17-inch display will disable that button along with the back year doors if enabled.

My button will close the trunk but not open it... are you sure yours will open it?

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but are the child safety locks all independent, i.e. are there three sets of locks (one for hatch, one for driver rear and one for passenger rear)?

My current car has two manual locks (as I think most cars do), so it works out well because I can leave the door that my oldest child sits next to unlocked os he can get in and out freely. I have the other door locked so my younger daughter doesn't try anything stupid.

If there is only one lock for the entire rear bench seat, that'll suck because I'll be forced to leave it engaged, and my son will always need to wait on me to open it.

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but are the child safety locks all independent, i.e. are there three sets of locks (one for hatch, one for driver rear and one for passenger rear)?

There is only one setting for all the doors. But, this is all controlled from the front screen, so what I usually do is to leave the child locks on, and then when I get to a stop to drop the older child off, I change the setting to off, and they can open the door and get out. Then I toggle the setting back. There is no need to get out and do anything.

I received this e-mail update through some back channels. It is from a Tesla high level employee in Ownership Experience dated 11/20/12:
"George asked me to reach out on his behalf to provide further information about the rear facing seats.
Rear facing seats will become available in early January.
Taking into account the backlog, I would estimate delivery for customers will take place in late January early February."
Has anyone heard any update?

Nice!

What do you do with the lid to the well in the trunk when the kids are sitting in the rear seats? Is there someplace to stash it in the car, or do you leave it in the garage?

I leave mine in the garage at home. I tried to stuff it various places, but couldn't find a good place to store it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. I believe you push it or pull it. The button toggles both ways. If that doesn't work, check your setting for child safety locks ON. if it is on, the button won't function to open the trunk - same with the rear doors.

They say you learn something new every day... I didn't even try to pull it, like a window switch -- I've only ever pushed it to close. I'll have to show my boys. Thanks!

I believe that the power lift rear hatch is tied to the tech package. I wonder if this button will be there if you get the rear facing child seats without getting the tech package? Since I'm definitely getting the rear facing child seats it would be cool to get the power rear hatch without getting the rest of the items in the tech package I'm not all that interested in. Anyone with the child seats option who did not get the tech package care to comment?

Was this button installed with the seats? If not where is it?

The button came already installed in my car. If you are looking at the trunk from the rear, it's on the left side of the car, just under the parcel shelf rail area (i'm recalling from memory. We're getting our rear kid seats installed today, so when I pick up the car tomorrow, I'll confirm and edit the post if i'm off on the exact button placement). Not sure if it's only included in cars with the power lift gate or if it's in all cars, or if it's only installed for cars that ordered the rear kid seats.

The button came already installed in my car. If you are looking at the trunk from the rear, it's on the left side of the car, just under the parcel shelf rail area (i'm recalling from memory. We're getting our rear kid seats installed today, so when I pick up the car tomorrow, I'll confirm and edit the post if i'm off on the exact button placement). Not sure if it's only included in cars with the power lift gate or if it's in all cars, or if it's only installed for cars that ordered the rear kid seats.

Thanks I was able to find out where you are talking about. There is not button on my car. I have the Tech Package (thus the power gate) so I assume the kids seats come with this button. Interesting.

I was mostly interested to see if it could be accidentally hit by dogs, or moving stuff in the trunk.

Thanks I was able to find out where you are talking about. There is not button on my car. I have the Tech Package (thus the power gate) so I assume the kids seats come with this button. Interesting.

I was mostly interested to see if it could be accidentally hit by dogs, or moving stuff in the trunk.
Ah, and now we find out why the seats cannot be installed by service centers after delivery. FYI, my son hit this button just yesterday and it freaked my wife out since I didn't know about it either. Turns out it only works when the car is in park. Thank goodness!

Ah, and now we find out why the seats cannot be installed by service centers after delivery. FYI, my son hit this button just yesterday and it freaked my wife out since I didn't know about it either. Turns out it only works when the car is in park. Thank goodness!

My mom is in town this weekend, to see my car (and me i guess), but next week I might pry back some panel/carpet and see if I have the appropriate wires to put in a switch.

Well spotted! I have that button, never saw it before. But since my Rear Seats have yet to be installed, that likely isn't a surprise...it's only meant to be seen from inside the Trunk!

Just by looking at the seat, I can't see any latches like the pictures. But once I start pressing around the back of the middle of the rear passenger seat, I feel the latches and the indentation where they will probably cut the leather and install some type of plastic edging and backing to make it look finished like the pictures upthread.

Once we get them installed, I'll know what the service center has to do to get the latches exposed and properly installed and I'll report back.

I posted pictures and more details in the 'Rear Jump Seats' thread so I won't double post here. Seats are great!