Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery of car that looks like it went through sandstorm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery of DBM/AWD/non-P/white interior was scheduled on 9/21 in Austin. VIN #75*** & build date of 8/18.

At delivery, as I walked towards the car it looked great. As I got close, I noticed dirt around the rubber window seals on all sides, then more dirt on other obscure areas (inside the door handle, on the inside door hinges, around the sonar sensors, etc). Didn’t think too much of it. The interior was failrly clean with few dirty scuffs on door & armrests that wiped off.

After orientation, I went to open the trunk, frunk & other doors. The pics will show you what I discovered. The main exterior panels were clean, but there was caked dirt in and on practically every hidden area, crevice, rubber component, seal, etc.

The DBM car being delivered next to ours was clean & pristine, so it was very easy to see the difference. Mine looked like it had been driven in the Dakar Rally. There was dirt in places I don’t think you’d get after 5 years of driving, let alone on a brand new car.

After I said I wasn’t going to accept it in this condition, I asked to speak to the manager. He was very apologetic and said they would detail it again. I’m scheduled to go back tomorrow 9/24 to pick it up.

I understand that these cars are coming cross country and are going to get dirty, but this one went through something severe. Obviously they didn’t wash it well before delivery, but even if I washed it myself, I’m never going to be able to get dirt out of some of the places. For dirt to get all the way inside the frunk area, doors, etc., it would have to blow pretty hard. Does that do damage to the paint?

This experience was the complete opposite of our Model X delivery 2 years ago. This Model 3 feels like a used car.

I’m in no rush to take delivery. What would you do? Would you accept the car or ask for a new future delivery?

F5805E90-3E28-42A3-BB4F-F345392B1FAF.jpeg
8D1C380B-AEE0-4D92-8D18-38AEAEF9B7BA.jpeg
3CD4DEC3-B039-439E-BE69-4DF8FD0F9309.jpeg
CCE0C636-8D93-4261-AB15-F5CFB9DCD51A.jpeg
E75B2232-FD59-4BAD-ABDD-02139EBF3556.jpeg
A4002159-2672-41F4-BD60-B3E2C5DA676E.jpeg

I'd reject it. This decision will be tougher as 12/31 approaches, but right now there is plenty of time for them to get you a car that hasn't been subjected to abuse prior to delivery, before the federal tax credit halves on 1/1. Now that you've seen the abuse, the remnant dirt after they pay someone $12/hr to try again to clean it up, will bother you for years to come. Screw that; reject it and let them try try again.

Many cars can arrive to a dealer looking like that after the long trucking process but the detailers take care of it. In this case they failed to do that, probably because of the volume of deliveries. If they detail it right when you see it again then I would take it no problem.

Whoever did the PDI on this car needs to be fired. The person who approved this car to be delivered this way needs to be fired as well. The manager at this delivery center has some big problems with his/her staff. The blame for poor training practices falls on the manager's head. You should never have seen the car this way.
Agreed. It’s one thing to be in delivery hell, but this is unacceptable. It takes maybe 10 minutes to give a car a good look-over both externally and internally. There’s no reason why any customer should have to see a car in this condition. Even if it’s a few dirt marks on the inside, it’s not the standard they should be setting. The manager should not be letting cars be presented to customers in anything other than pristine condition. Not saying they can fix everything wrong with the car, but at least have a clean vehicle for the owner to inspect.

Based on the firsthand accounts from the customer volunteer in another thread, the DCs don't seem to have much if any time to detail the cars before delivery. I'm guessing this car came straight off the truck. If it were me, i'd request the detail and come back during daylight hours for a proper inspection.

See if they would pay for the detailer of your choice? I lived in Phoenix for 15 years. Been through done storms that made things look like that.

I don’t think they detailed it at all. Or just ran it through a car wash.

Edit - bring said detailer with you to pickup if they would...