Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Today with 8 Paint Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Denny Keep me in the loop. I am likely to go down the exact same path with you out of carlsbad with my white model Y. If you get any good contact info of people at that site let me know. That way I don't have to waste my time going through the process.
They are fixing 24 items out of 26. I worked with Kevin initially to get most items documented then was escalated to David at Carlsbad to have it all due bill. It had to be escalated because I asked for body shop repairs for the paint issues and nothing less. No on touch ups!. David's been doing his best to help me out, made a few calls to service center to get my car fixed by body shop. Miramar team is sending out documentation to engineering for final cost approval then off it goes to Amato's Auto Body next week assuming they approve money figures on the repairs. Fingers crossed.

Keep your car under 100 miles if you want the approval process to goes smoothly. They told me repeatedly not to go over 100 miles until everything is worked out and fully documented.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: navguy12
I appreciate the technique you have employed with denoting these defects, using pairs of photos for each issue with one to give situational context whilst the other to give a close in detail shot. Actually makes it easier to deal with during your repair phase. Good luck. Cheers.
Its actually required for Tesla engineers and management to approve any body shop repairs. For them to do the documentation themselves it will requires the car to be at the SC, which then will sit there a week waiting for approval. I have seen many posted on TMC, I took my car for repairs at SC and its been sitting, but not knowing its actually going through the approval process.
I am being proactive and hoping it is all worth it in the end and so far the folks I am working with at Tesla has been very helpful. I was doing what would speed up the process and helping hand with the photos.

Reactions: navguy12 and McBart
The funny thing is that this is exactly how the “old” GM used to build cars in that plant before they shut it down in the 1980’s.
The funny thing is that you're a liar

There is no way ANY of that would get past line inspectors at the GM plant where I worked as a summer student. Let alone in a factory shared by anal-retentive Japanese company reps. This is a Tesla problem...both in the way they run the factory, and in the unsupervised children not designing for manufacturing/repairability. Says a lot when you have a $130,000 car and to adjust the panel gaps on the tailgate, you have to take the frikkin glass out to adjust the hinge bolts.

From the looks of it, they aren't fully baking the paint in the spirit of throughput. After all, your beloved, infallible, man of the people, Tony Stark comic hero, had $750M riding on numbers out the door, not paint quality.

He allegedly just got his payout, so hopefully the rest of the production units will actually be built like cars, not like a kindergarten finger painting.

If that were my car, no amount of body shop touchup equals a factory baked paint finish. Might as well own a salvage car for half the money if you're gunna compromise away from "new."

They're counting on fanboy enthusiasm to accept whatever $hit they throw at you...I would have rejected that unit, outright, and demanded next in queue.

Reeler, I get it. Sure, will they fix them post-sale? Yeah, it sounds like they will, but this sales model rubs me the wrong way. If this is their sales model, and all evidence points to that it is, then I'm disappointed in Tesla for putting quarterly earnings reports over their customer's satisfaction and ownership experience.

This reeks of company arrogance....

But if they put customer's satisfaction over quarterly earning would Elon still get his mega bonus?????

Last edited:
This was an unfortunate and inexcusable delivery. On the other hand, I took delivery of my third Tesla on March 20th and it was, like the previous two, flawless. I think we sometimes forget that very few people post on the forums when they are happy with their delivery or their service. Nuff said.
There is no doubt this is true, but I'm worried about getting one of these scratch and dent deliveries.

I'm very hesitant now about going through with the purchase with reading about so many people having issues with their brand new car and then having to leave it in the shop for days and weeks. Also taking into consideration that now I'm WFH and not needing to commute to work. Maybe I'll just delay it.

• Helpful
Reactions: 5JMJ and MY-Y
I'm very hesitant now about going through with the purchase with reading about so many people having issues with their brand new car and then having to leave it in the shop for days and weeks. Also taking into consideration that now I'm WFH and not needing to commute to work. Maybe I'll just delay it.
I figure this forum is a lot like surveys and critiques in general -- I rarely fill one out and if I do it's because I didn't like the experience. My guess is you have a lot higher percentage of posters on this forum than are dissatisfied than those that had a great experience and are enjoying their car and don't feel the need to OCD on this forum anymore. I get mine next week and I promise I will report its condition, good or bad.

^ I've also put my Model Y order on hold TFN because of the garbage they're literally belching out of that factory in Fremont.

How does Tesla expect to be considered a serious manufacturer when it is "expected" that your new car might have to spend days, or longer at the service center after purchase? Are they kidding? Your $60k new car need a paint job before you even get it? And worst of all.. you have to argue w/Tesla in many cases to get things fixed properly.

100mi to report paint defects? That's a joke.. most of us live far enough from the SC that the 100mi limit could be reached just driving the car home.

I bought my first new car in 1986 as a 25yo kid.., a Suzuki Samurai.. and have had at least a dozen new cars since then ranging from Fiats to Toyota's to Jeeps, Nissan's to Mazda's to my current 2017 Bolt and never, ever have I seen defects like the ones coming out of Fremont.

I figure this forum is a lot like surveys and critiques in general -- I rarely fill one out and if I do it's because I didn't like the experience. My guess is you have a lot higher percentage of posters on this forum than are dissatisfied than those that had a great experience and are enjoying their car and don't feel the need to OCD on this forum anymore. I get mine next week and I promise I will report its condition, good or bad.

True, but those that have bought the car I believe really like the car and are just bringing awareness to the flaws. The flaws that they are pointing out doesn't seem to me to be an over-reaction or OCD, most are fairly legitimate and something I would be concern about as well.

I didn't mean to imply that they were being OCD by reporting the flaws. I meant that a lot of folks, such as myself, are OCD when it comes to surfing this forum multiple times a day because we are impatiently awaiting our car and it somehow makes us feel more "in touch" with our car or something (I'm not a psychiatrist). I expect that once I get it I will rarely come back here.

How does Tesla expect to be considered a serious manufacturer when it is "expected" that your new car might have to spend days, or longer at the service center after purchase? Are they kidding? Your $60k new car need a paint job before you even get it?

It is very common for all makes/models to need repair/paint before they are sold. But traditional dealers have a couple advantages here:
  1. They usually have their own body shop on site, so they can do it themselves fairly inexpensively.
  2. They sell cars from the lot, so they repair them before they ever put them out for sale.
That still is no excuse for Tesla to not have the cars in good shape before they try to deliver them. But they would have to get the car on-site and inspect/repair it before they scheduled the delivery.

On the gap issues only three were worth noting:
  • Right tail light not installed properly at delivery.
  • Right rear door misalignment.
  • Hood not aligned with bumper.

Various paint defects at delivery including:
  • Near front driver and passenger hinges on body
  • Around driver door striker plate
  • Front of R rear door & body beneath that
  • Trailing edge of R front door
  • Back of R and L rear tire well on bumper
  • Below L tail light on bumper.
This is my 8th Tesla delivery over the years. Inclusive of this delivery, 5 needed bodywork. This by far had the worst paint defects.

Anyone who thinks Tesla is figuring out their delivery fit and finish is just wrong.

View attachment 545768 View attachment 545769 View attachment 545770 View attachment 545771 View attachment 545772 View attachment 545773 View attachment 545774 View attachment 545775 View attachment 545776 View attachment 545777
I hate to hear this. This is why I picked up a M3 instead of waiting for the early production MY. I really prefer, the MY. My M3 is almost perfect, or should I say was, no a fault of Tesla :(.

Reactions: Reeler
I just ceramic coated and clear bra the front...the Detailer working the car found about 6 or so imperfections...small chipS and or paint imperfection but overall he said my Y is way better then most Tesla’s he has seen.. the feeling is though its expensive Y (performance) it still is a daily driver and a few imperfections that only i will see if i look for them as i know about them is ok with me...it will never be perfect...its not a European import from a paint perspective and never will be probably for many years...

The good news is they only had to do a single stage prep for the ceramic and their are no swirl /scratches etc and the ceramic takes it to the next level.... Now easy washing and cleaning and just dont look at the imperfections that i know about...

Reactions: navguy12