Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery without USB-C ports and wireless phone charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wireless joypads shouldn't be a huge addition.. they already have bluetooth pairing for phones so it's just another class of device to add (probably already built into the bluetooth library they're using), and maybe a couple of extra buttons on the bluetooth screen to initiate pairing.

I'll be shocked if that support isn't rolled out within the next few months.
Here is just one example:

Wireless joypads shouldn't be a huge addition.. they already have bluetooth pairing for phones so it's just another class of device to add (probably already built into the bluetooth library they're using), and maybe a couple of extra buttons on the bluetooth screen to initiate pairing.

I'll be shocked if that support isn't rolled out within the next few months.

That got me thinking. Not that I would use it, but I wonder if Tesla has put any thought into using their phone app as a virtual game pad for their games? No need for a game controller then.

You will find other car makers in a similar mess .. this is global supply issues thanks to Covid. You can choose to not accept the care and wait, but no-one knows for how long.
Agreed but that’s not quite the whole picture here. The parts are now becoming available, both the power-only and data-enables hubs are available to dealerships for retrofit (I got the engineer who did mine to check) but depending on what the ‘big Tesla computer in the sky’ says about your car, that determines whether or not you’ll get power only or data - even though the cars all have the required cabling in place and the OS is capable of utilising either or.

This is a case of Tesla being purposely deceitful in my eyes.

Interesting thing I heard about this morning. Due to chip shortage Skoda have removed the electronic child locks from the latest version of the kodiaq - without telling anyone, including the dealers. Guy I work with only found out when his child opened the door whilst the car was moving..

To cap it all they offered him £100 and he paid £300 for the feature (which of course he rejected.. I suggested sending the whole car back but since it took 10 months to deliver he's reluctant, understandably).

So it aint just Tesla, by any means...

Reactions: charltones and MrT3
even if the car is wired up and able to use the data ones, Tesla are able to change the spec if they choose to only fit power ones? If they say ‘oh those console ports are just for charging’ there isn’t much people can do even if the OS underneath could use data?

I’d actually be ok with that, providing they gave at least one more data port in the glovebox or similar - sentry + music USB can be on one, and one for a wireless controller. Or as mentioned, build in bluetooth controller support and at that point I think I wouldn’t mind charge only front ports

This all comes back to never really having a published spec that you’re buying. Right now in the delivery thread there are lots of people that have deposits on £50k cars waiting arrival not knowing how big the battery will be, how far it’ll go, whether it has rear double glazing, what motor type/power etc.

Telsa have unfortunately normalised this and here we are.

They could change the gateway configuration to specify whether the car has a data enabled USB hub or not. I’ve seen it noted somewhere else that there is a flag for this.

A ranger might be able to do it but if not I’d be surprised if the service centres don’t have a script to do it.

see
They could change the gateway configuration to specify whether the car has a data enabled USB hub or not. I’ve seen it noted somewhere else that there is a flag for this.

A ranger might be able to do it but if not I’d be surprised if the service centres don’t have a script to do it.
Ranger can definitely do this - the one who came out to retrofit my hub showed me on his laptop.

My car is back into Tesla in Feb for some window seals and rattles. I've added a request to the service for them to swap over the hub to a data-enabled one, and I've included part numbers. We'll see what happens. I won't hold my breath though.

Reactions: Durzel
see

Ranger can definitely do this - the one who came out to retrofit my hub showed me on his laptop.

My car is back into Tesla in Feb for some window seals and rattles. I've added a request to the service for them to swap over the hub to a data-enabled one, and I've included part numbers. We'll see what happens. I won't hold my breath though.

The new productions delivered after 15 Dec 2021 (after the shortage began) arrive already preconfigured from factory for the older vintage None Data-enabled USB Hub and do not require and configuration by Tesla after the missing circuit card is retrofitted/installed post delivery. BUT if you want to have the Data-enabled USB Hub which came on all refresh 2021 M3's up to 15 Dec 2021 prior to shortage and you buy one or are lucky to be able to convince Tesla UK to source one and install it, that requires that a Tesla technician with laptop connection reconfigure the vehicle to tell it that it now has the Data-enabled USB Hub installed. Post-installation, the Technician should resend the latest firmware to vehicle so that the relevant V11 apps related to the Data-enabled USB Hub which weren't installed before are now installed. From what I have seen thus far, it is only game apps.

Reactions: DM206433 and Durzel
its odd that it disables apps like games - you can still use the glovebox for a controller but I assume they consider that reserved for dashcam/sentry?

They dont disable all games, only game(s) that require use of a game controller which will not be applicable or possible if they have removed the Data-enabled USB Hub in centre console and its not reasonable to alternatively disconnect Sentry/cam in glove compartment and use for this purpose. As an aside, Its very important to have your sentry storage dongle connected (in glove compartment) at all times so when vehicle is unattended the cameras can record any irregular activities. And if you are regularly connecting and disconnecting this storage device you may end up forgetting to enable Sentry and then miss an irregular activity which you would have wanted recorded

its odd that it disables apps like games - you can still use the glovebox for a controller but I assume they consider that reserved for dashcam/sentry?

The manual does advise against using a usb hub, needed to enable a controller and usb stick to both be connected. Having said that, it works just fine for me.

So I think they are just covering their backsides, because yep you can use the glovebox usb port.

Given they describe themselves as a technology company and not a car company - they really do need to do compatibility testing, because currently it's like buying a new PC and being told not to use a usb hub with it.

The manual does advise against using a usb hub, needed to enable a controller and usb stick to both be connected. Having said that, it works just fine for me.

So I think they are just covering their backsides, because yep you can use the glovebox usb port.

Given they describe themselves as a technology company and not a car company - they really do need to do compatibility testing, because currently it's like buying a new PC and being told not to use a usb hub with it.

I think you may be confusing the (1) Data-enabled Hub (circuit board) installed by Tesla (which we're talking about here) located in the centre console armrest behind the panel (with the two USB-C holes) with (2) an external 3rd party USB Hub which you are saying Tesla advise against connecting to their ports

I’d actually be ok with that, providing they gave at least one more data port in the glovebox or similar - sentry + music USB can be on one, and one for a wireless controller. Or as mentioned, build in bluetooth controller support and at that point I think I wouldn’t mind charge only front ports
Then they'd need a hub for the glovebox ports, but no chips to make one ;)

Right now in the delivery thread there are lots of people that have deposits on £50k cars waiting arrival not knowing how big the battery will be, how far it’ll go, whether it has rear double glazing, what motor type/power etc.
To be fair, these are all increases in spec over what the people expected at time of order.

But I do take your point and there have been occasions where the spec is changing for the worse - passenger lumbar removal and the 14 down to 13 speaker audio for example.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Mine was done yesterday at the Reading SC, all a bit meh, arrived at 1020 and completed at 1145, text throughout but nowhere to work on-site so went to costa. They couldn't confirm whether it was data-enabled or just charging.

No car wash and wouldn't lube the window to stop them squeaking as they were too busy.

thanks

hash

Seems like this thread is filled with false info. If you buy the tesla data hub from tesla it will work with zero config!

There is also a third party model of the hub that offers data too that can be installed.

The only problem is that tesla will not retrofit the module!

Seems like this thread is filled with false info. If you buy the tesla data hub from tesla it will work with zero config!

There is also a third party model of the hub that offers data too that can be installed.

The only problem is that tesla will not retrofit the module!
This is more misinformation, as there is no Tesla data hub.

A hub cannot be used on USB ports that don’t support data to begin with.