Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery without USB-C ports and wireless phone charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my main gripe about it all. I grew in a time when if I bought something, it should work from the get go, not expect to buy something full price with some bits missing. Especially on a £40k car. Yes, some people are different and that's ok, people think I'm going overboard, which I am a little, but its the point.

Telling customers two days before pickup isn't on. They still don't even know if the car has them or not, I mean WTF??

This isn't a £50 haridryer, its an expensive car, they should at least know which cars do and don't have them and when they come off the line, tell the customer when they are allocated it.

It's wrong and people should be moaning about it. Whether they retrofit them or not. It's just wrong.

Anyway I'm glad to hear lots of people are accepting delivery with them in, that is some good news. Fingers crossed for mine tomorrow.
Seriously if you would really rather not receive a car with this item coming later then don't collect it, and tell them that. I'm sure they will happily push off your order and give that car to someone else.

Where is the problem ?

Just got the text and for a man that's been walking that fine line between pulling the plug and holding onto what he's got for weeks, no months, I'm really not sure how I feel about this, at all.

I do see some different sides to this;
Its good that they are letting us know, even if it is just 2 days before I'm due to collect. I also understand that there are manufacturers out there that are unable to deliver cars on time or at all or are doing so with missing functionality as a result of this "global chip shortage", but I wonder what else is maybe missing or what other corners have been cut as a result of this. The usb ports and wireless charging are things that we can see but there may be other missing hardware, perhaps being compensated by software that we are not being made aware of.

Anyway, I think when my collection time comes on Thursday, I'm going to try my best to inspect the car prior to handing over current car documents, keys etc, so that worst case I'll be able to charge my phone on the way home 🤣
I genuinely wouldn’t be too concerned. The cars coming through now are better produced than when I bought mine. Mine was good one anyway.
the USB’s may or may not be there but it sounds as though they’ll retrofit at your home anyway. I doubt any other parts will be missing else they would have disclosed them and I’m sure there will no lack of any other functionality.
I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Good luck.

I suspect some other companies would delay delivery, and production, so making you wait. Tesla wants your money... so they ship and then resolve. Ok isn't a big deal, but i'd be irritated and then get over it.
After all, it is only this year that the cars were delivered with the charging pads and USBC.
Oh, there is always the old fashioned 12V socket as well, just like most cars were until a couple or 5 years ago!!

Reactions: Leejmoff
It's amazing how supportive the Tesla community is, meeting prospective owners who are concerned about receiving an unfinished new car with a mixture of whataboutery, dismissive nonchalance and "suck it up because it was much worse in my day".

And the faithful complain when people say they're a cult.

It's amazing how supportive the Tesla community is, meeting prospective owners who are concerned about receiving an unfinished new car with a mixture of whataboutery, dismissive nonchalance and "suck it up because it was much worse in my day".

Given there is absolutely nothing anyone here can do about it, and the OP knew that when posting, what exactly else would people post, prayers and thoughts?

I don't think there is too much blind support being thrown at Tesla on this thread. The community is here to support people, but there is nothing anyone can do to fix a missing component and the advise not to worry about it too much is based on the fact that we know complaining about it isn't going to resolve the situation any faster and is just bad for your health.

I do find it poor that Tesla haven't informed people sooner, and they should only inform people that are definitely affected. It seems odd that they don't know exactly which VINs have the issue as manufacturers normally have very detailed build information, and Tesla also has remote access to the vehicles and could probably determine if the USB hub is there or not after manufacture.

I’d be annoyed by this too. But this is a Tesla forum. In the eyes of many on here you’re ‘lucky’ to be even graced with delivery. With the usual ‘if you don’t want your car, millions of others will’. It’s incredibly irritating. You’ve paid good money for your car, it should be right.

Concern would be when the retrofits will happen. What is acceptable? A month, a year? Then what. Tesla are taking full margin from the transaction, why shouldn’t you be compensated for missing features?

If my YP arrives with missing features, they can stick it up their arse. I’m not that desperate.

But this is a Tesla forum. In the eyes of many on here you’re ‘lucky’ to be even graced with delivery. With the usual ‘if you don’t want your car, millions of others will’. It’s incredibly irritating. You’ve paid good money for your car, it should be right.
Whether you believe Tesla to be in the right or wrong, the fact is Tesla has a backlog of orders and if you don't want the car someone else will - that is the unfortunate reality of the situation. All you have is the choice to accept the vehicle or not (and wait 2+ months for another one).

Given the current parts shortage, Tesla aren't actually the worst for this sort of thing (which must be a first).

Saying "there there" to someone who is unhappy with something that is completely outside of anyone's control is a cult. Got it.

Seriously if you would really rather not receive a car with this item coming later then don't collect it, and tell them that. I'm sure they will happily push off your order and give that car to someone else.

Where is the problem ?
Well I've explained it quite a few times in this thread. Its the principle, its wrong to tell someone two days before delivery their car might have a load of stuff missing. Tesla/BMW/Skoda/Ford, whoever. Its wrong. I have no choice but to accept it, I have no car etc. Yes that is down to my planning, but its wrong.

Tesla should know who has what in their car and advise asap, just like when they chase for my car deposit every day for three weeks.

Tesla should know who has what in their car and advise asap, just like when they chase for my car deposit every day for three weeks.

But its not 'your car' until its actually handed over to you. You may have been told what the current VIN is that has been allocated to you is, but until the car is physically accepted by you, there is no guarantee that that is the VIN/car you will actually receive.

We got given a completely different VIN than we thought we were getting and we were not advised until we were actually on the way to collect, a 30 minute journey. Granted, this is not the norm, but it can and does happen - it gives Tesla the opportunity to send you home in a car even if the one initially allocated to you has issues or is unavailable, as was the case with us. We had the option to accept or refuse the new allocated car, a decision made when we could speak to someone face to face at point of collection.

So a vague text that covers all bases probably keeps Tesla's options open without them being held to an absolute promise.

• Disagree
It’s pointless raising this issue on here. You won’t get an objective response. Some people accept any old *sugar* Tesla throw at them. I agree it’s rubbish that they tell you so close to delivery. Tesla have always been ‘take it or leave it’ by nature. Hopefully people realise this when they are purchasing.

I ordered a Peugeot e208 (as 2nd car) in spring 2020 and it was due for delivery in June, then July, then August… in September it had eventually arrived in the country but due to a cyber security hack on the central systems I was told they had lost all the records for Vin numbers to clients and it may take weeks to resolve as they had no backup.

I lost patience and just bought an ex-demo car. 5 weeks later they found my original car.

I know it won’t make any difference to you but other car firms aren’t always slicker than Tesla.

I hope the text has been misleading in the end and you get a car that’s complete at pickup. Good luck.

Reactions: rotor2k and Durzel