Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery without USB-C ports and wireless phone charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was discovered around the time when Tesla had logistics issues with these hubs that there was a new gateway configuration option in the car which basically told the car what type of USB hub it had - data or non-data.

This is so other aspects of the software can know whether to provision other features or not. This "flag" is why Sonic is unavailable on some cars, and is available on others (otherwise how would the two cars on the same firmware even know if you could play it or not?).

You might be able to buy the data-enabled hub directly from Tesla. It is likely they will say it is out of stock, for the same reason as its not turning up on some newly built cars. Even if you can source the data-enabled hub, and install it (the data-enabled hub takes two cables, one of which will be tied up in your harness unused if you have no hub or a power-only hub fitted), without being able to change this gateway configuration value it (data) won't work.

The wireless charging would be a slight annoyance but i can't honestly remember ever plugging something into the usb ports in the 4 months i've had it. Just buy a long charging cable from amazon and use the back ports until it's retrofitted. hardly a big deal let alone rejecting a perfectly functioning car over...
I am please to have wireless charging.
All I now need is the appropriate phone; my old 7 plus is not....
So, for now, I am happily charging from the centre consul cigar lighter old school style.

Of course, I can both empathise and thereby sympathise with anyone frustrated by the missing bits ( not as fundamental as a roof for a car or house).
We are all different; I, for instance, would not let this dampen the joy of receiving my new Tesla. But then, I have been planning and plotting to have one since 2015.

Every morning that I draw the curtains and see Lizzie sitting there, I get that Christmas morning of my first two wheeler feeling.

Now then.... SWMBO says " In which case, stop moaning about those expensive rim protectors which can't be fitted to your little gems's Gems"

I am please to have wireless charging.
All I now need is the appropriate phone; my old 7 plus is not....
So, for now, I am happily charging from the centre consul cigar lighter old school style.

Of course, I can both empathise and thereby sympathise with anyone frustrated by the missing bits ( not as fundamental as a roof for a car or house).
We are all different; I, for instance, would not let this dampen the joy of receiving my new Tesla. But then, I have been planning and plotting to have one since 2015.

Every morning that I draw the curtains and see Lizzie sitting there, I get that Christmas morning of my first two wheeler feeling.

Now then.... SWMBO says " In which case, stop moaning about those expensive rim protectors which can't be fitted to your little gems's Gems
What's missing? AFAIK the USB ports are there in all cars and provide power for charging, they just don't provide a data connection if that was something you wanted for playing music from a phone. They have moved, are now on the rear wall of the first section, and are small Usb-c rather than A.

What's missing? AFAIK the USB ports are there in all cars and provide power for charging, they just don't provide a data connection if that was something you wanted for playing music from a phone. They have moved, are now on the rear wall of the first section, and are small Usb-c rather than A.
No data from the USB ports means you have no controller support for the games. Tesla of course keep saying 'Bluetooth controller support coming' but I'm sure that'll arrive the same time as true FSD does. It's not a deal breaker by any means.

Imho it's also a bit cumbersome to have the only data USB in the glovebox, meaning you have to meddle through and use a partitioned drive for both Sentry & Music, instead of having a way to quickly get it in & out...

Imho it's also a bit cumbersome to have the only data USB in the glovebox, meaning you have to meddle through and use a partitioned drive for both Sentry & Music, instead of having a way to quickly get it in & out...
The person I was replying to was explaining how they was using the 12v outlet to charge their phone, as if there were not powered USB ports in the centre console, and I specifically mentioned there was power but not data.

But it appears that you can't use a partitioned drive for sentry/dashcam and music anymore. It used to work on my 2019 Model 3, but my 2022 Model Y will not recognise a partitioned drive. So how are you supposed to play music files now, as all the other usb ports are power only, not data?

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Using same?
  • Create an exFAT partition named TESLADRIVE with folders named TeslaCam and TeslaTrackMode
  • Create an exFAT partition named whatever with folders Music and Boombox
  • Create a very small FAT32 partition (can be <<100Mb) with a folder named LightShow

Numpty question - is it actually 'a thing' anymore to expect data USB connectivity for the existing front ports in 'new-er' Model 3/Y builds?
i.e. if i put in a service request, would they be going "oh terribly sorry....yes we'll fix this", or would it be akin to "sorry, but we no longer offer this functionality in Post-2021 vehicles" etc.

Numpty question - is it actually 'a thing' anymore to expect data USB connectivity for the existing front ports in 'new-er' Model 3/Y builds?
i.e. if i put in a service request, would they be going "oh terribly sorry....yes we'll fix this", or would it be akin to "sorry, but we no longer offer this functionality in Post-2021 vehicles" etc.
I think it was only if you had missing USB ports that you can raise a service request.

Not having data enabled USB ports is probably 'within spec' as Tesla never state the ports are data enabled, and the manual now explicitly states some vehicles after Nov 2021 won't have it.

Certainly worth trying, but don't be surprised if your request is just closed.

Tesla explicitly mention in the online manual that the USB ports aren't data enabled now.

Reactions: Adopado
Tesla explicitly mention in the online manual that the USB ports aren't data enabled now.
From the manual:
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 18.51.16.png

Using same?
  • Create an exFAT partition named TESLADRIVE with folders named TeslaCam and TeslaTrackMode
  • Create an exFAT partition named whatever with folders Music and Boombox
  • Create a very small FAT32 partition (can be <<100Mb) with a folder named LightShow
Thank you and to Durzel who answered as well.

It appears that the Model Y is different from the Model 3 in reading formatted USB (or SSD) drives.

I actually was using a SSD and when it's partitioned and formatted in FAT32 and named TESLADRIVE with folder TeslaCam and the other partion named MUSIC, the Model Y will not recognise it.

If however you format it in exFAT and repeat the above procedure, the Model Y does recognise it, and I can now see my music and the dashcam is working, and the world is a happier place.

I don't know why it's like this as I thought exFAT and FAT32 were the same, I know the Model 3 recognises FAT32.

Thank you and to Durzel who answered as well.

It appears that the Model Y is different from the Model 3 in reading formatted USB (or SSD) drives.

I actually was using a SSD and when it's partitioned and formatted in FAT32 and named TESLADRIVE with folder TeslaCam and the other partion named MUSIC, the Model Y will not recognise it.

If however you format it in exFAT and repeat the above procedure, the Model Y does recognise it, and I can now see my music and the dashcam is working, and the world is a happier place.

I don't know why it's like this as I thought exFAT and FAT32 were the same, I know the Model 3 recognises FAT32.
they are not the same for sure