Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Chargers -- what are you guys seeing for payment for use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
We hope to do a get-away at some point this summer/fall with our MS and was wondering what you guys who stay at places with Destination Chargers are being asked to pay for using them? One place we are considering is asking $10 a charge. Wondering how that compares to what you've seen. I think Tesla pays for the equipment and installation of it so no need to cover overhead there, leaving the electrical usage up to the hotel or B&B to set.

• Helpful
Reactions: TexasEV
BTW this particular destination charging location has two Tesla connectors (assume that means HPWC?) up to 16kW so assume they added this amenity under Tesla's partner program. I know on Tesla's site they have this posted:

Charging Partners Wanted
Attract Tesla drivers to your property by joining the Destination Charging network. Qualified properties will receive their first two Wall Connectors at no cost. In addition, they will benefit from visibility in the charging maps on the Tesla website and in-vehicle navigation.

I looked at their online brochure and it doesn't say who pays for the installation exactly so maybe they do have overhead on that. Thought I had read in the press that Tesla covered that too but maybe not.

Last edited:
You know both my husband and I thought this was weird from what we heard but wanted feedback from all of you who have traveled around and know for sure. We expect this from dedicated charging stations like ChargePoint or those set ups in general public parking lots, but not when it's associated with a service like hotel or dining.

If more people want to chime in, I'd appreciate a larger sample that covers more of the U.S. but there definitely seems a consensus here.

I know of a restaurant near Three Rivers, TX that started charging $5, customer or no. Tesla promptly built a Supercharger a few miles away.

I would like it if more places allowed charging for a reasonable fee. Most of them, though, are hotels that don't charge a reasonable fee to stay there, so I'd be surprised.

I have used Tesla destination HPWC at the Hilton hotel in Minneapolis; Riverhouse Hotel in Bend, OR (this was before the SC was constructed); and at the Pfister Hotel in Milwaukee. We had to pay a daily parking fee at the Pfister, but there was no additional fee for charging. We are planning to use the destination charger at the Crown Plaza Hotel in Phoenix in August; I do not see where there is a provision for a fee imposed.

In addition, I have used a couple of destination chargers (Telluride and Susanville) at hotels where I just notified the desk and offered to pay for an hour's worth of juice, and the desk told me to forget about it--help myself.

I would suggest that if your questions about fees and such are not answered on PlugShare (most are listed), then a telephone call to the front desk would clear up any ambiguity.

The only restrictions I've seen are places where you must be a guest or patron to use the charger. Could their request for a fee be only for non-guests to charge?

On the positive side, fee-based chargers tend to not be used as much, so more likely available if they are over-subscribed.

The only restrictions I've seen are places where you must be a guest or patron to use the charger. Could their request for a fee be only for non-guests to charge?

On the positive side, fee-based chargers tend to not be used as much, so more likely available if they are over-subscribed.

No, they don't allow non-guests to park in their lot at all. When we were inquiring about making reservations we specifically asked about using their charger as we had a Tesla (in case we needed to reserve time on it during our stay). That's when we were told it was $10 per charge, just use it and let them know how many times during your visit you needed it and they would bill your room. No mention by how long you charged just $10 a charge. There's a Supercharger not that far away so we told her in light of that we'd just charge there instead and wouldn't be needing their charger.

Not a money thing here, just our expectation that if Tesla offered the chargers and covered all or part of the install cost that there wasn't a cost to use it as it was generating Tesla paying customers to their establishment. They asked how we found their place (it's a B&B) and I said I was looking at the Tesla charging map, saw that they were in the area we wanted to stay and saw the info on their inn on Tesla's site so called. This will be our first time traveling any distance in our car and wanted to support the Tesla effort and those accommodations providing Level 2 chargers for the benefit of all of us. We could have just as easily stayed in the hotel next to the Superchargers, very nice hotel and rooms and at the same basic price. Appreciate everyone's feedback. Debating if we will mention this to the owner who will be there I understand when we are schedule to arrive or just let it go. Kind of feel the owners took that the free chargers would be an income generating service for them literally and not as Tesla intended.

BTW I guess I should also mention that without any midweek promotional discount the rooms mid-week tend to generally run in the mid-200 to mid-300s and on weekends more like 300-400 range.

Tesla pays a stipend towards installation which is enough to cover most normal installations.

Depends on the type of property. I have a vacation rental. All they would pay for is the HPWC. Install of the electrical and connection of the HPWC was my coin. They do pay all expenses (or have) for businesses beyond just a vacation rental I was told.

I don't charge a fee for use. But only make the charger available to guests that stay overnight.

Depends on the type of property. I have a vacation rental. All they would pay for is the HPWC. Install of the electrical and connection of the HPWC was my coin. They do pay all expenses (or have) for businesses beyond just a vacation rental I was told.
As you said, that's because it's a vacation rental. I'm surprised they even gave away the HPWC for that. For hotels and B&Bs, which is the topic of this thread, Tesla does pay installation.