Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I accidentally unlock FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a month old MY - and I opted not to get FSD. I noticed today after activating cruise control that it felt like I unlocked FSD. I don't have much experience with modern FSD - as I had a 2016 MX with first gen autopilot.

When I have standard cruise control (I think they call it Traffic-Aware Cruise Control) active on my Model Y will I get blue street lines and the blue wheel icon in the upper left? Or did I somehow unlock FSD? Thanks.

Last edited:
As above you activated autopilot.

One tap down is TACC (Car will brake and accelerate for you while you steer)
Two taps down is Autopilot (Car will brake, accelerate, and steer for you in a single lane)
I haven't tried FSD myself but from watching videos you just punch in an address and the car will try to take you there

Sorry for threadjacking but I didn’t feel my question warranted it’s own thread and is somewhat related.

When exploring my car specs in the app, I noticed that “full self-driving capability” was listed. I had thought this just meant that the car has the hardware to use FSD software if I wanted to pay for the upgrade. However I then go into the autopilot settings in the car and see a “request FSD” button. I click it, agree to all the terms, and now I have a safety score screen in the app.

Am I correct to conclude that Tesla thinks I’ve paid for FSD? I certainly didn’t order it originally.

Thanks!

It’s embarrassing to say but I’m not saying I didn’t pay for it. I was simply trying to understand what the language Tesla provides means. I may well have with a scotch fueled enthusiasm actually purchased it. I just don’t have my bearings on what Teslas language means regarding what functionality is present.
No worries, this comes up every couple of weeks as new owners enter the fray.

Something that may be at play is if you didn't buy FSD, you can however subscribe for the monthly service. And... and I suppose you could request to join the FSD Beta which implies that you subscribe? I don't know, though don't have a non-FSD car to check. Somebody with a non-FSD car can comfirm this maybe?

**Edit, or maybe they allow non FSD owners/subscribers to request to join the trial?

Anyways, that reminds me time for some drinks over here.

Last edited:
Reactions: BnGrm and PACEMD
I think there is a 3 day grace period to return it? Or maybe you entered the subscription.

Can you change lanes with the blinker? If so, you have FSD.

I think the options for Nav on Autopilot are only enabled with FSD.

Beep on Green light is FSD only.

And more.

To answer the OP’s question: Nope, you likely don’t have FSD.
First: the invoice is probably stating that you have an FSD-capable car: the right computers, sensors, and what-all. But probably not the software.
Second: what you’re seeing there is the bog-standard autopilot that comes with every new Tesla. One punch down on the shift gives one traffic-aware cruise control; when that is active, there’s no particular change in the on-screen graphic. Two punches down and the lane keeping springs into action, vaguely takes over the steering wheel, and those two lines appear on the screen. How do I know this? My SO’s MY, which very definitely doesn’t have FSD, does that.
Third: If you actually do have FSD, and you’re on a limited access highway/interstate, instead of that double line, one gets a single, thick, bright blue line right down the middle of the lane. Also, if you’ve got FSD:
  1. The car will change lanes for you on both the interstates with that big solid single line and on local, multiple lane roads with the double lines by pressing or lifting the turn signal once in the direction one wants to go. And there’s fun graphics when it does this. If you don’t have FSD, hitting the turn signal simply turns off lanekeeping while leaving the TACC active.
  2. The car will stop for red lights and stop signs.
  3. You’ll be able to summon the car out of/into your garage and from across parking lots. This will be on the app.
  4. The car will have the capability of auto parking, both parallel and lane in.
How do I know all this? Because the other car in the household is a 2018 M3 with FSD. Yup, the computer got swapped when the feature was bought. Yes, I’m in line for the Beta, but don’t have that.

That double-line display appears on local, non-interstate highways on the M3 with FSD, too, which is why I kept on saying, “probably”. But our MY won’t change lanes on its own on, say, a four-lane major road with stoplights whereas the M3 with FSD will.

Finally: If you look in the app, scroll down to where it says, Upgrades, tap that, then tap on Software Upgrades, if it says FSD in there, then you don’t have it. If it says No Upgrades Available, then you likely do.

Oh, yeah: If you’ve got FSD, the app will have a whole Summon section in it. If you don’t, it won’t.

Good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Also, if you find yourself very anxious behind the wheel, or crashing into bollards, you have FSD.

😜

J/K, J/K... I'm sure I'll get flamed for that one :)
FLAME!

Kidding. But really, while driving long distances, the TACC/Lanekeeping part of FSD actually makes the driving less stressful. One doesn’t have to keep on minutely adjusting the speed and steering. Stupid as it sounds, I feel much less beat up after a six hour drive like that.

And it’s safer, too. For one thing, if one is changing lanes with FSD, it very definitely absolutely won’t drive into a car in one’s blind spot. For a second: Heavy, high speed traffic on I-95 in Connecticut. Very abruptly, without warning, the car slams on the brakes and comes to a complete halt from 65 mph.. 10 feet away from the bumper of the car in front of me and the SO. Three cars behind us, a pickup truck that, it shall be noted, had been driving rather aggressively, wasn’t quite as attentive or fast sideswiped the car two cars behind us, hit the center barrier, and ground to a halt. The SO and I patted the dash and said, “GOOD Car!”, traffic picked up, and, still on FSD, the car started up and followed traffic.

I still think about that idiot nervous nelly from Consumers Reports that showed him driving a Tesla in FSD and was both physically and audibly shaking in fear as the car drove him down the road. Sheesh. It’s safer.

One does have to supervise the thing; like a trainee auto driver, it can get itself into trouble because it really doesn’t see traffic patterns more than a couple hundred yards up, and really only pays attention to the lane one is in and to either side. But, based upon experience, it appears to have faster reaction times to what it can detect than a human.

Last edited:
Reactions: father_of_6
Tronguy: "One doesn’t have to keep on minutely adjusting the speed and steering. Stupid as it sounds, I feel much less beat up after a six hour drive like that.'

HAHA!!! You have enough range for a six hour drive?? 😭 😭 😭 I enjoy 24hour road trips, with breaks every 140-180 miles, 20-min power naps. Yes, I feel beat up a bit, but not because I had to actually DRIVE my car.

My MYLR tracks so straight, and the "go" pedal is so linear, there's no significant "minutely adjusting the speed" required.

I enjoy driving on road trips. Actually driving, not just sitting in a moving vehicle. I...just...don't...get...the...FSD...business, and for sure, I don't understand taking on the risk of failure.

Reactions: father_of_6
Tronguy: "One doesn’t have to keep on minutely adjusting the speed and steering. Stupid as it sounds, I feel much less beat up after a six hour drive like that.'

HAHA!!! You have enough range for a six hour drive?? 😭 😭 😭 I enjoy 24hour road trips, with breaks every 140-180 miles, 20-min power naps. Yes, I feel beat up a bit, but not because I had to actually DRIVE my car.

My MYLR tracks so straight, and the "go" pedal is so linear, there's no significant "minutely adjusting the speed" required.

I enjoy driving on road trips. Actually driving, not just sitting in a moving vehicle. I...just...don't...get...the...FSD...business, and for sure, I don't understand taking on the risk of failure.
SMH he said a six hour drive not after driving six hours straight. Would you have been more comfortable if he had substituted trip for drive or measured the trip in miles?
I quite enjoy driving my vehicle about town as well but a monotonous segment of highway driving is not what I'd call stimulating. I always use autopilot when I'm on the interstate for a couple hours at a time.

Drive is a noun in that sentence. If I said I took a 6 hour flight and you knew it was in the continental US someone would probably assume that I had changed planes somewhere. I thought you were trolling at first but now I see you were probably joking sorry.

OK, OK: Six hour trips. Or longer. With stops at Superchargers. But my comments about, "not feeling as beat up" are definitely true, stops for whatever or not.

And, with regards to traffic, or the lack thereof: Some of those trips were on I-95 up and down the East Coast. Back when I was in the USN, there was a saying, "I'm a driving maniac, and I've got my NJ Toll Ticket to prove it." With EZ Pass, that's not quite as true, but, generally, traffic is heavy, moving fast, with frequent stop-and-gos.