Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did supercharger network influence your buying decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, tesla network a factor. Although the bigger range (M3LR) is a bigger factor for me.
I have a 40kwh leaf (range about 150 miles) which we have used for 2.5 years. Live in the midlands and did go to France in the leaf.
Did 700 miles in a single trip. If you think you can't manage the supercharging network in the UK, you should try the trip I did in France. Their network is absolutely useless for long drives. Had some very close calls to being stranded.
I have had a couple of close calls in the UK with problem superchargers, but always managed to get by. The UK network needs (considerable) improvement, but is good compared to France's.

To get this distance I had to run the leaf to 0% or very close each time before charging, because the leaf has no battery cooling. Also had to do some hypermileing a some points due to problem chargers, I was doing well over 180 miles/charge at times. But would not like to attempt this again.

Too many people with EVs do long journeys, but don't plan it properly for the charging stops.

Superchargers weren’t a consideration for me at all. The only time I’ve had to use one in 14 months was on a recent trip to Scotland when I used the one at Fort William. Even then I didn’t have to use the supercharger - I could have used the 50KW CCS ChargePlace Scotland one a few feet away and enjoyed free juice. I used the supercharger for convenience because it was faster, but it was no big deal.

I only saw the ChargePlace Scotland one being used once in four days - and that was by another Model 3.

Yes, Tesla Super Charger network was a big factor.

We’re very happy with 24kWh Nissan Leaf for day to day use, and shorter day trips (only).

The model 3 will extend our weekend outings, and make long distance trips (eg Scotland to Wales) a reality again. Haven’t done an overnight car trip since selling our petrol car.

Superchargers were a selling point for me and without them I may not have an EV at the moment. Under normal circumstances I occasionally travel up to 500 miles in a day with 2 or 3 friends in the car.

If you can only buy an EV in just over 9 years time, the public charging infrastructure is going to need to improve greatly in quantity, speed and reliability. At the moment if you have an EV there’s an element of planning involved in any long trip, which is easier if you have a Tesla.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Totally a consideration. Rapid charger pricing keeps going up, and after checking my two most regular long journeys I knew that the provision of other brand chargers was spotty at best. I checked the ecotricity chargers at the services on those trips, and they were often iced.

The supercharger network is also much more reasonably priced than some, which are up to 60-70p/kwh.

I only do these trips a few times a year, but I don't want to spend a fortune on a car which becomes an inconvenience.

Absolutely a deciding factor for me, along with the more acceptable range of the M3LR, accepting that a significant percentage has to be deducted from the claimed 360 mile max, for the real world esp on motorways in winter etc. Not yet got the car (due on 4th - can't wait!) but the SC network makes our regular longer trips such as from home near Milton Keynes to the in law's near Glasgow not only viable but, I anticipate, without stress; we usually do it without stopping (or a short stop for a driver change only) so any charge time is additonal time on an already decent sized drive. I (zapmap!) anticipate the need for two shortish stops for charging - esp if wanting to arrive with more than a dribble left, as 3 pin plug charging at in law's place will be a bit tedious, though there appear to be some Charge Place Scotland & other options within a couple of miles (which is great, but not as convenient as destination charging of course). Adding the stops time required from a SC top up is OK, esp as there can be some confidence that it will be available and working, apparently unlike alternatives; attempting the trip whilst reliant on other chargers may be viable but from what I gather so far, would be stressy - and I'm fairly sure we'd take the other (ICE) car instead which does it without needing to refuel (and when refuelling, does so at an equivalent of around 5000miles/hr added).

I've ordered cards from Polar and Charge Your Car to give some other options - the latter appears to be necessary to enjoy Charge Place Scotland kit if you don't have an account specifically with them - but no idea yet how much we might use any particular network. Of course, the majority of routine useage will no doubt be out and returns using the home charger.

For me, Tesla's supercharger network is a total clincher, and for me at this point in time, it ruled out any other options from serious consideration.

Definitely the Supercharger Network clinched it for me, especially where they are in relation to my routes - I wouldn't have gone electric at all without that. I think when you have a charger at home (I don't currently) it makes a big difference - but when out and about, that and the technology aspect and constant updates really cinched it for me. Can't wait for the new software release and hopefully some new features!

I've ordered cards from Polar and Charge Your Car to give some other options - the latter appears to be necessary to enjoy Charge Place Scotland kit if you don't have an account specifically with them - but no idea yet how much we might use any particular network. Of course, the majority of routine useage will no doubt be out and returns using the home charger.
I cancelled the monthly subs on the Polar card a few months ago, after just about every charger I went to of theirs being broken. The screens on their chargers are total rubbish, always breaking, meaning no charging.

They have made their chargers so 'fancy' looking that they just break

Reactions: Derek_J
Convienience is key, I'm a bit surprised none of the big manufacturers have grouped together the different charging subscriptions into a "Porsche" charging network with one RFID card covering multiple chargeing companies

I'm surprised too, its the one way they could take on tesla & its supercharger network even though they may have less range it would almost be immaterial if there were well sited high speed chargers (that worked) with a simple access/payment system.

Absolutely yes. The switch to EV was decided by range, speed to charge and network. I actually really disliked the Model 3 on a test drive, this was partially due to an abused loaner stuck in chill mode, but still many things I didn’t like. Some were just “all EVs do that sir” though, so it’s me as a user that has to adjust.

If the Polestar had the range, charge speed and network I would have personally gone with it over the Tesla. It would have worked out cheaper too. So yes, as a first EV the network was a massive factor. Don’t tell Elon this, but I’d happily pay a bit more for it too if it contributes to the continuing roll out of a fast, reliable and easily accessible network :D

Yes, definitely. For me, the supercharger network was the clincher. I've had my M3 since September and I've done two return trips to Heathrow for work since then. I charged on the way to and from Heathrow on both trips (at Membury services on the M4) and the whole experience was seamless, as I expected. Once the Hilton at T5 reopens, I should be able to get away with one charge instead of two but I really didn't fancy using the superchargers late at night.

Not to purchase 1, but it did convince us that we should be able to travel almost anywhere we want in the future, so we have ordered two, the Wife and I will be 100% electric, now our 20 year old Son is a different story, he's exchanging his 04 Grand Prix for my 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual.

Yes, for sure.

This is my first EV, and while I like a lot of the disruptive elements of Tesla, I'd read countless times how poor the charging network is, and how stellar the Tesla one is.

I've not used it very much, and on a daily basis certainly don't rely on it. Indeed a good chunk of my use is to use up my free supercharger miles before they expire.

Would I have made the same decision in hindsight? I don't know yet. I've only ever been to one other public charger (Instavolt 150W down the road from were I live, used only to show my other half how to charger her car at a public charger), so it's yet to be shown up as bad as I'd read.

So for me it wasn't so much Tesla vs An Alternative EV... as supercharger was a very positive reason to go EV.

I'd definitely say it was a big consideration. I do a few long journeys a year and I've tried to pay attention to charging options as I've been half planning on going all electric for five or six years.

The number of times I've seen public charging points that aren't working - particularly at important places like motorway services - is quite surprising; then when you investigate you find that they've been out of service for months. Given how much these things are advertised and how much they can charge per kWH, I'd be very annoyed if I had to use them.

Then right at the start of this year we did a 1,000 mile run (2x500) in my wife's PHEV. We managed to find two working chargers and nothing near the hotel we stayed at overnight, we would have been in trouble in anything other than a Tesla as there were free Supercharger bays everywhere we stopped.

I don't think it was what ultimately tipped me towards the Tesla, I had been trying (and failing) to get a test drive of a Polestar 2, but in the end it was everything falling into place at the right time for the Tesla option that finally made me go this way.

If I'd ready the horror stories about wonky panels and terrible paint first then I might have decided to forget the whole idea :D

Totally. And if I were to buy again today I'd still get a Tesla even knowing of the variable build quality and extremely variable customer service.

I thought by now that the public charging network would be some way to catching up, but just as it seems more chargers are going in they start charging silly money..