Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla just kill the Model S 75D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are people so ga-ga about heads up?
Heads-up? How about "brain-on" first. Glancing six inches below the window isn't what's causing the accidents.
The lack of speedometer in front of the driver is an issue. The location of the speedo coupled w/everything (e.g. nav directions, wiper controls, etc.) being crammed onto the center LCD doesn't help things. HUD helps mitigate that.

shows the speed, nav directions, speed limits, etc. on the HUD.

Even the non-luxury car '12 Prius had it as an option:
. There are many cars which have offered it far before the '12 Prius.

I have no doubt - it's ridiculous not to have HUD given the excellent driver's view I have in the S - and all you get with the 3 is the left side view on the central screen... It seems incomplete, lousy design flaw, which frankly, I'm very surprised, given my adoration for anything "Tesla"...

Yeah, hopefully HUD is offered as an option on the 3, eventually.

Reactions: cwerdna
The lack of speedometer in front of the driver is an issue. The location of the speedo coupled w/everything (e.g. nav directions, wiper controls, etc.) being crammed onto the center LCD doesn't help things. HUD helps mitigate that.

shows the speed, nav directions, speed limits, etc. on the HUD.

Even the non-luxury car '12 Prius had it as an option:
. There are many cars which have offered it far before the '12 Prius.
After driving the Model 3 for over 3,000 miles now the single screen has become a non issue. For me it was similar from moving a Blackberry with its keyboard to an iPhone as I really thought the keyboard was far superior. And while maybe it was the iPhone really works well without one. So don’t knock the screen until you have a couple of thousand miles under your belt.

The absence of the speedometer/tachometer behind the steering wheel is too much of a leap for me. I know people don't mind looking at the left side of the center monitor for all their information, but I think a head's up display would be an ideal option for those of us who 'have issues'... to each is own...

I'm with SeaDoc on this. I went back and forth for about a week before settling on a model S. I just can't shake not having something behind the wheel for metrics (and I do really enjoy the full size sedan aspect); I do love having everything on my S right where my eyes have been already traveling for information for the last 20 years. HUD's are nice to have, but maybe not for everyone (my wife didn't like my old Camaro HUD).

At least for people like me, the Model S is the only Tesla I would consider. I've driven the 3 several times and I don't like some important things (like the center screen control over so much), and I think it's ugly. I think the S will continue to be popular in the market it's had success with.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
With last night’s announcement of the Performance Model 3, how do you justify buying a Model S 75D?

Model 3 Performance:
- 3.5s 0-60mph
- 310 miles range
- 155 mph top speed
- 78k all options included (except autopilot)

Model S 75D:
- 4.2s 0-60mph
- 259 miles range
- 140 mph top speed
- 74.5k (without any upgrades)

First of all, I happen to own an S 75D, and I think the two cars mentioned here are great cars and best in their respective classes. But that's just it; they belong to different classes. It's sort of weird to compare them, but I'll play along. Based purely on the figures you listed, then there's no denying the P3D is superior. But the question one first needs to ask is whether those better numbers with P3D are relevant or the most important factors to them. For me, the answer is no, as what my S 75D gives me is already more than enough for my needs. Acceleration-wise, 4.2s 0-60 mph is already way faster than any cars that I previously owned, I'm more than happy with its 259 miles range, and I have never needed to hit its rated top speed of 140 mph in my life (and suspect that I won't ever need nor want to), let alone 155 mph.

So if those P3D's better numbers are not relevant, then I believe S outshines it in the other areas due to it being bigger, better-equipped, and IMO more luxurious. A few examples in my case:
1. Roomier interior: We are a family with 2 teenage kids and when I took them to sit in a 3, they all felt like it was too cramped. Granted, they are used to bigger cars like our SUV and my S but it would've been a tough sell to convince them that they would be happy in a 3 judging from their reaction.
2. IC display: I look at and rely on the IC display far more often than the MCU, which is why I didn't care that newer cars got the MCU 2. When I sat in the 3, the lack of the IC display felt disconcerting. I could probably force myself to get used to without one if I really had to, but I don't want to.
3. More cargo room: We typically bring anywhere between 4-5 luggages plus a few bags of assortments on road trips, all of which was a piece of cake for my S on the one we took in it. It would've been a stretch to fit all of that in a 3.
4. Better exterior look: This one is a bit subjective, but while I laud Tesla's achievements in coming up with an EV that is more affordable to a wider customer base, I LOVE the look of my S and would take it anytime over the 3's. The shapes and lines of the S just combine to make for such an attractive and striking exterior look. It just feels and drives like a really solid car with a good heft to it, which I like.

Last but not least, my S came with free supercharging for as long as I own it. Depending on one's driving needs, this may be a minor benefit, but it has sure come in handy for me with the latest one being just today. In short, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there are many other people who have the same considerations as I do here, and why you won't see the demise of S 75D just yet.

Agree with most of the points already made in this thread. I was just discussing this with a friend last night who is sitting at the configuration stage for his M3 reservation. IMO my S looks better from the outside. The front IC display is incredible and super handy. I prefer the maps on the front display than on the MCU. I do like the M3 interior and especially it's AC vents. However, the S interior still has an elegance to it. If I was to make my decision today again, I would go for the S75 than a M3P. The extra performance is not as important as the external style/look, the interior features and the "luxury" feel.

After driving the Model 3 for over 3,000 miles now the single screen has become a non issue. For me it was similar from moving a Blackberry with its keyboard to an iPhone as I really thought the keyboard was far superior. And while maybe it was the iPhone really works well without one. So don’t knock the screen until you have a couple of thousand miles under your belt.

Same here. I’ve actually grown to like it more. It feels cleaner and more modern. I love driving at night and having no display right in front of me. Glancing slightly to the right for speed is very comfortable.

While I get by with the touch keyboard on the Galaxy S9+, I still miss the Blackberry Priv keyboard/touchpad on which I could type way faster (and the auto-correct was WAY better, or maybe I just didn't need it as much with a better keyboard - all I know the Samsung one drives me nuts and keeps correcting to wrong words all the time).

I suspect, as you said, the M3 side screen is the same, some will love it, some will learn to love it, some will get by with it after some getting used to but would switch to instrument cluster in front of them if they could.

Reactions: Eclectic
Same here. I’ve actually grown to like it more. It feels cleaner and more modern. I love driving at night and having no display right in front of me. Glancing slightly to the right for speed is very comfortable.
Let me ask you this (out of curiosity), would you pay any money for a retrofit of an instrument cluster or a HUD for the M3, or do you love not having any information displayed in front of you so much that you wouldn't use it even if it came for free?

Let me ask you this (out of curiosity), would you pay any money for a retrofit of an instrument cluster or a HUD for the M3, or do you love not having any information displayed in front of you so much that you wouldn't use it even if it came for free?

I love tech so I think it would be cool if it was more innovative. For example, using the selfie camera to see head position and overlay red squares around pedestrians or animals. Or navigation that looked like it was floating in 3D over an exit.

If it was only for a speedometer or generic arrow, I don’t think it’s necessary. Before owning the car, I’d say absolutely, but now it’s a solid maybe? I’m comfortable with all the information (AP, nav, speed, energy bar) being on the one screen. It would feel a bit redundant and you’d lose that unobstructed view.

So, if it was sufficiently advanced, I’d probably use it regularly. If it was just a version of what we already see (like BMWs), I’d be less inclined or maybe only use it at specific times. Probably for navigation so I didn’t need the audio prompts.

If it came with the car day one (like an iPhone with a snap on keyboard), I’d probably feel much more strongly about using it.

Reactions: whitex
I have a family of four (wife and two kiddos). Many times I have taken grandpa with us on trips in our S. I have seen the backseat of a 3 - it would not work for our family. I suspect there may be other like me

This. I really want to like the Model 3 (have gone to the Tesla store many times to try it out), but that backseat is just way too cramped. It’s not even just the legroom, the actual bench is way too low—there is a large gap between the bottom of your thighs and the actual seat, which makes it very uncomfortable. If you really don’t care about the backseat passengers then the Model 3 is a great deal for you. I need the room for my family.

The other reasons above including more storage capacity, conveniently located multiple screens, air suspension, better looking exterior/stance, quicker acceleration (I have P100DL), Softer/ventilated seats, a reliable actual key fob, and a power liftgate are additional reasons why the Model S is superior imo, even in its 75D state.

In the meantime, I’ll keep trying to convince myself that the Model 3 Performance will some how work for me, as it is half the price of my car!