Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla's Speed Cause You to Get Speeding Tickets?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“I went 100 mph on my motorcycle and 112 in my TESLA.”

=

“Not only do I not care about my own life, but I also couldn’t give 2 sh*ts about anyone else’s, because I am a total f’king moron.”

As someone who frequently has to drive with a small child in the back seat on the freeway a lot and sees a-holes like you on a fairly regular basis risking my kid’s life for absolutely no reason, I would like to take this opportunity to tell you that you are disgusting.

Grow the fk up. I’m SO glad to know that you beat your well deserved speeding ticket, which will only serve to encourage you to continue driving like a menace. You are so g*damn stupid that you don’t realize that you have absolutely no ability to react in time if anybody in front of you does absolutely ANYTHING you don’t expect, and collisions at that speed are virtually guaranteed to cause massive injury to at least one person (usually the innocent driver who isn’t prepared to be rammed by the a-hole), if not outright death.

I don’t know what court or police officer in their right mind would let someone who was driving in a manner that qualifies for FELONIOUS reckless driving off the hook, but you are literally going to kill someone if you keep doing this, and if you do that after reading this post, you deserve the death penalty IMHO.

Last edited:
I’ve done as stupid of a thing as the next guy....but I’m older and less invincible than I once was. I now have my cruise set to keep me 3mph over the limit and I use cruise control 85-90% of the time.

The police here will nab you at 5mpg over, however in the city I work in you must go at least 5mph over or you’re impeding traffic. Most go 5-10mph over. So there I scroll wheel it up to 5 over.

When I bought mine, Tesla threw in a little feature to help. It displays a number on the console telling me how fast I am traveling. It’s pretty accurate, so I use it to help ensure I’m not going too fast. So far, all the software updates haven’t removed it.

Wait just a cotton pickin' New York minute...........you mean the car knows how fast it's going? Dang........thanks Tesla!

• Funny
Reactions: Potpourri
Interesting question. I've had a Model S since 2013 and a Model 3 for 6 months but I've never gotten a speeding ticket for either. I've been pulled over twice in the S for speeding, but in each case let go. In the first case a puppy that was in the front seat saved me. In the second, the cop said "In this car you probably have no idea how fast you're going." I acknowledged and he let me go. Given that I drive routinely at least 10 mph over the limit when it's over 50 mph, I'm very lucky that the Teslas have resulted in no speeding tix.

Contrast that to my Honda S2000. Got 5-6 speeding tickets in that one, all in North Carolina on vacation.

I'm thinking that by driving "112 mph" you're inviting a ticket, impounding, go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200 BUT, PAY court fees, fines, impoundment fees, increased insurance rates, yadda, yadda. Yeah, I left my speeding ticket days back with my youth.

I'm thinking that by driving "112 mph" you're inviting a ticket, impounding, go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200 BUT, PAY court fees, fines, impoundment fees, increased insurance rates, yadda, yadda. Yeah, I left my speeding ticket days back with my youth.
You can be driving on a road and spend your energy watching traffic while overtaking someone and not realize how fast you are going. TeslaFi lets you know though. I'm still programmed to floor it to pass people. Since we are going to blame cars for things here I blame my first car - the world class Chevy Chevette - in programming my mind to floor the accelerator all the time.

Now allow me to curse myself. I have not had a speeding ticket in over 15 years.

Funny what a little self control will do. I've never had my Model 3 into triple-digits. That's just irresponsible and asking for trouble. I also don't believe that you couldn't tell 112mph was fast. Come on, give me a break.

I've never gotten a speeding ticket... or any moving violation of any sort. I've had two parking tickets in the 25 years I've had my license - one, for a street sweeper (the sign was missing on the block I parked on), and the other was for an expired meter, 20 years ago.

So ... no. I watch my speed RELIGIOUSLY in local neighborhoods and surface streets, and on highways, keep it within 10mph. So far, a winning formula.

Reactions: Callawayc7
No tickets, but the acceleration of the P3D- brings me back to my days of riding 1000cc sportbikes.
Accelerating from standstill up to the ~limit, because you're so much faster than nearly anything else on the road, you have to look further ahead for cars turning across your path that have no idea of how quickly you're bearing down on them.

Knock on wood. 1 year, no whammies.

So ... no. I watch my speed RELIGIOUSLY in local neighborhoods and surface streets, and on highways, keep it within 10mph. So far, a winning formula.

I accidentally hit 100 the other day, but I thought I was in the mid 80s. I stick 100% to the limit in neighborhoods because I don't want to kill any kids, but on the highway I often do 15-20 over. Going more than 20 over is asking for big trouble in most states.

Reactions: dmurphy
Knock on wood. 1 year, no whammies.

I accidentally hit 100 the other day, but I thought I was in the mid 80s. I stick 100% to the limit in neighborhoods because I don't want to kill any kids, but on the highway I often do 15-20 over. Going more than 20 over is asking for big trouble in most states.

Thank you! I'm with you on most counts; still haven't gotten to triple digits yet. At least that I know of ... and I agree, 100% compliance in neighborhoods. I'm THAT GUY that stands in the middle of my street when I see cars speeding - make them slow down or hit me. I'm also the guy that writes down plates of people who come flying down my block - it ends in a damn cul-de-sac! Why people have to come down here at 50+mph, I don't understand. Had a couple of kids try to race down here a month ago.... not having any of that, not in my 'hood!

Thank you! I'm with you on most counts; still haven't gotten to triple digits yet. At least that I know of ... and I agree, 100% compliance in neighborhoods. I'm THAT GUY that stands in the middle of my street when I see cars speeding - make them slow down or hit me. I'm also the guy that writes down plates of people who come flying down my block - it ends in a damn cul-de-sac! Why people have to come down here at 50+mph, I don't understand. Had a couple of kids try to race down here a month ago.... not having any of that, not in my 'hood!
I've done over 120 on the track, but on the street that is asking to be arrested and probably losing your license. Not worth it.

Reactions: wenkan
I live in Denver where going 120 most likely still won't get you a speeding ticket. It's insane here, they literally shut down the highway to race on it multiple times a week - and the cops don't do anything about it. With that being said OP is an idiot and the drama in this thread is hilarious. People literally calling for this guy to be put to death in here.... fuggin insane folks.

No tickets so far, just stay alert. Teslas are not easy to notice even when you are driving 90mph on the road. Several times I slowed down after I see the cops, they never chase me. I guess they don't have enough time to measure my speed. But you need to be aware of speed traps.

I was following this method. Until I accelerated past an unmarked ford explorer.
He turned on the sirens and light, but didn't pull me over. But gave me the hint of cool it or else.
This was in Cali so its against the law, but that still doesn't stop the officer from ticketing me for doing something obviously foolish.

So this method doesn't really work as unmarked vehicle can call out your foolishness.
Basically don't go above +15mph around traffic.