Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you buy FSD (Full Self-Driving)?

Did you buy FSD (Full Self-Driving)?

• Yes

Votes: 73 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 91 50.8%
  • No, but I do have EAP (Enhanced Autopilot)

Votes: 15 8.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why? Like many have said because of the adventure and going along for the ride. Also because I plan to keep this car as long as possible, so it makes it more of an investment over time

if it’s an adventure you’re after you’ll certainly get the nervous, white knuckle experience you’re after ;)

In terms of an investment, I can’t see fsd carrying much premium on resale value on current hardware. Personally, I would only see it as worthwhile if the software wasn’t locked to the car and could be ported with the owner

I'm also taking a bit of a gamble, with the subscription coming out early this year, it wouldn't surprise me if old Elon did away with the one off purchase at some point and made it a subscription only thing, granted I can't see that happening soon but you never know.
Given that we're expecting the details of the FSD Subscription soon and you can add FSD as a one off payment at any time, would it not be less of a gamble to put the cash aside to wait and see what happens?

If you're including the FSD payment in the initial loan/lease amount so it's added to your monthly repayment then I understand why you'd prefer to add it now.

Reactions: browellm
I might have been tempted if I thought level 4/5 was achievable with current hardware, but the cameras give up at the first sight of rain

I wouldn't compare the experiences of basic Autopilot today with what people are posting that their FSD beta is capable of.

Whilst I agree that the effects of some weather conditions will need to mitigated against, many of these are very specific scenarios, like lane change/NoA being affected by low sun or B-pillar condensation. Not great, but, as it affects only our highways functionality we don't even know whether FSD beta will come to improve on it at that is currently confined to city driving.

People thought the same of camera view limits, but Tesla have mitigated against the effects of most of them by controlling the way the car behaves at some junctions to give it a better view. In many circumstances, FSD beta has shown better perception of its surroundings than a human especially in marginal visibility.

I personally do not see 'strict' Level 5 being achievable as things stand, but Level 4 (highways) I see as being perfectly feasible, regulations permitting, if Tesla put the same level of effort in that as they are currently doing with city streets.

I don't have FSD because my wife really wants a Model Y so that's what we will swap to in a couple of years. £5,800 at the time of purchase wasn't worth it under those circumstances.

For us, FSD is more of a 'nice to have' than of practical use. Maybe that could change once we have a car as a longer term proposition & if the potential we are seeing with the US beta translates to UK roads.

I haven’t watched many of the FSD Beta videos but in those I have seen the driver seems to need to intervene fairly often. Typically speed limit errors, wrong lanes, stopping in the middle of junctions and turning in to a central ‘median’ come to mind. Seems to have a way to go before it could be on general release.

I haven’t watched many of the FSD Beta videos but in those I have seen the driver seems to need to intervene fairly often. Typically speed limit errors, wrong lanes, stopping in the middle of junctions and turning in to a central ‘median’ come to mind. Seems to have a way to go before it could be on general release.
I guess it boils down to whether one trusts Elon's judgment that it is going to roll out in 2021. He has much more detailed knowledge of this than anyone else. Time will tell, he's been over-optimistic before.

I guess it boils down to whether one trusts Elon's judgment that it is going to roll out in 2021. He has much more detailed knowledge of this than anyone else. Time will tell, he's been over-optimistic before.

I wouldn't trust Elon to predict tomorrow's sunrise. He's been so disastrously wrong in the past that I don't know why people give him any credibility, but despite this he still generates almost hero worship with people hanging on to his every word. Here's a couple of his complete clangers:

March 2015 - "I don't think we have to worry about autonomous cars because it's a sort of a narrow form of AI. It's not something I think is very difficult. To do autonomous driving that is to a degree much safer than a person, is much easier than people think.... I almost view it like a solved problem."

In December 2015 he predicted "complete autonomy" by 2018.

February 2019 - "I think we will be feature complete, full self-driving, this year. Meaning the car will be able to find you in a parking lot, pick you up and take you all the way to your destination without an intervention. This year. I would say I am of certain of that, that is not a question mark."

In January 2020 Musk said that FSD software would be "feature complete" by the end of the year. But he also said (and this bit really cracks me up) that "feature complete" doesn't mean that features are working well. The guy lives in a parallel universe.

Then, or course there are the one million robo taxis that were supposed to be on the road by the end of 2020. We were all going to make $30K profit every year from our cars. He informs us that "it's financially insane to buy anything but a Tesla."

I'm not saying that FSD won't improve - it clearly will. But I predict with absolute certainty that we won't have L5 autonomy in 2021 or anything close to it.

I think Tesla will get to level 3 or 4 in the next couple of years but doubt that anyone will reach level 5 full autonomy any time soon. How quickly Tesla develop the software will depend on how well the dojo neural net will automate self driving development once this goes live later this year. Of course there’s regulatory approval to go through will each country having slightly different rules (e.g. undertaking is illegal in the Netherlands to the point where you could lose your licence but fine in the US).

We buy our cars with the intention of keeping them long-term (10+ years) and barring any unfortunate incidents we hope that will be the case with our Model 3. For us, FSD was part of the Tesla journey, and as a tech geek it felt wrong for me not to include it at the time of purchase. I am under no illusions that Level 5 autonomy is on the horizon anytime soon, if ever in the UK with this car. But following with great interest the progress being made in the USA shown by the FSD beta testing group, it is improving at an impressive pace. I do believe that it will not be long in years (subject to adjustments to UK legislation) before FSD will have practical uses for significant parts of our daily driving. Good value for money, that is an individual question but I do not regret our choice. It was slightly less painful at the price when we ordered our car, but still a significant outlay on a future promise.

Reactions: gangzoom

Here is a sped up video with the new FSD Beta. It has a good overlay of Elon talking and explaining where FSD is at. He also makes a bit of fun on himself at his prior predictions.

Edit: Elon talking is not new.(2019)

Last edited:
Reactions: Alwayshopeful
For us, FSD was part of the Tesla journey, and as a tech geek it felt wrong for me not to include it at the time of purchase.

If you told me in 2015 I would have done 65k+ miles in an EV by the end of 2020 I would have told you how mad/crazy/nuts you are.

Similarly just because we cannot foresee FSD by 2025, doesn't it mean it cannot happen.

Can any of us remember the days before Google? It wasn't that a long time ago, infact when I started University Google was still pretty much a start up no one payed attention to - Netscape anyone?

The very fact this thread exists, and is relevant not only to brand new purchasers, but also to people like my self who have owned their cars since 2017 shows how rapidly things are progressing.

Could anyone in Jan 2020 predicted the world events that followed? Am quite excited to see what 2021 will bring interms of FSD.

I bought it because a friend of mine bought his back in 2018 in the US - and got the HW upgrade for free. So my logic is that if for what ever reason in the future some hardware is to be upgraded - if you have the full options then you will get a free upgrade of HW too.

My Logic may not be Logical ;) - but I always buy the top spec and then hope for the best.

Eg. lets say they need to upgrade to HW 4 (?!) then I would hope I would get this for free :)

Given the amount of hassle with cruise control and existing AP, I am more than glad I never bothered with FSD.

Like most things in life, if it can't be trusted with the basics then why would I trust it with more than that!

Everyone knows that Tesla will take zero responsibility even if FSD is ever achieved, by that time the cars will probably be worn out as well!

I bought it because a friend of mine bought his back in 2018 in the US - and got the HW upgrade for free. So my logic is that if for what ever reason in the future some hardware is to be upgraded - if you have the full options then you will get a free upgrade of HW too.

My Logic may not be Logical ;) - but I always buy the top spec and then hope for the best.

Eg. lets say they need to upgrade to HW 4 (?!) then I would hope I would get this for free :)

I think you are going to come down from the clouds with a hard jolt!

Already the early adopters have been left high and dry. The switch to the current camera suite needed for hw3 left many early owners without a path to upgrade.

The notion that 'an upgrade will be available one day' is completely hollow if your car's battery is dead by then.

There is talk of a new radar sensor (as a modest upgrade to current equipment) that is being assessed for whatever benefits it may offer - may be to help avoid heavy random braking! - but I am not aware of any promise to implement any such development on my Raven S.

Of course, I feel Tesla SHOULD do whatever it takes to deliver what they sold me, but as they ship more and more cars the obligation of any retrofit surely becomes completely impossible to meet cost effectively.

Last edited:
I didn't get it because I couldn't justify the additional expense. I'm very glad others are and I understand the concept of 'the journey'. After all, very few of us here have bought our cars simply to save money. A cheap second-hand ICE car would do that far better in most cases.

I bought a Powerwall 2 so I'm not adverse to spending with dubious return. I just feel that, at this time, FSD is not for me. If I did lots more motorway journeys, then perhaps it would be.

Never say never though - I'm watching carefully.

I did, but more as a donation to their effort to create an autonomous driving system to help reduce injuries and fatalities on the roads caused by human error, which I think is ultimately the primary reason Elon wanted to do this, linking it with the Tesla ride-share fleet concept thereafter.

Reactions: Gatsojon