Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you buy FSD (Full Self-Driving)?

Did you buy FSD (Full Self-Driving)?

• Yes

Votes: 73 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 91 50.8%
  • No, but I do have EAP (Enhanced Autopilot)

Votes: 15 8.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought it because I wanted the full fat experience, but to be brutally honest the standard AP is 90% of the experience in practical terms.

That being said, when I last drove to Wales the car changing lanes itself with AP staying active was quite sublime. I would've been irritated having to re-engage AP constantly.

It is definitely not worth £6800 in the UK though, in its current form.

Getting FSD working at 99.99999% is many orders of magnitude harder than getting it to where the beta appears to be heading towards. IMO it'll need lots more hardware grunt to get there (not a fancy neural net and a souped up graphics card), and probably Lidar as I don't see how problems like low lying sun can be corrected entirely by software, at least to a level that provides the level of certainty you need to always drive safely. A combination of the two would seem ideal and viable given how Lidar costs are collapsing and you can could get it all into a single chip/package. For me the dedication to the software/camera package seems more of an ideological thing than founded in a superior technical understanding.

• Informative
Reactions: pdk42 and Gasman23
Bought EAP when it was available for a couple of weeks in Sept (the one and only time available for M3 in UK)

Gives me virtually all the features that FSD currently has (stopping at lights and signs is all that's missing).
Plus gives me a 50% stake in FSD at current UK price so can upgrade if if its ever worth it for £3400, so don't regret it.

I thought about it but decided against. Partly as I don't do lot of motorway driving and partly because I like driving the car I'm in!
Looks like beta is pretty good on motorways now - there's a video of someone making a 6 hour highway drive in California with no interventions other than to charge it
But I also think the UK is WAY behind in terms of practicability

Bought EAP when it was available for a couple of weeks in Sept (the one and only time available for M3 in UK)

Gives me virtually all the features that FSD currently has (stopping at lights and signs is all that's missing).
Plus gives me a 50% stake in FSD at current UK price so can upgrade if if its ever worth it for £3400, so don't regret it.

At the time there was a £1000 premium (as I recall - it might have been a bit less) to upgrade from EAP to FSD. Can you confirm that has gone now i.e. is your EAP to FSD upgrade cost now showing as £3400?

People talking about FSD not being worth it while being stuck indoors...

Well DUH.

I'd say even EAP isnt worth it for the summon and the auto lane change. I got EAP. I mean I payed 3400 to have a learner driver occasinally change lanes for me.

So yeah from a purely practical point of view, go get a 5000 KIA and spend then next 5 years spending 15000 on petrol, still wont be as much as a Tesla 3 SR+.

From a "I'm teaching my baby Tesla how to drive" point of view, hell yeah its worth it. I mean, I got a 2 ton robot on my drive and it learns new tricks.... What's that worth?

I had a Bigtrak when I was a kid.... This is the adult version.

• Funny
Reactions: AnthonyLR
At the time there was a £1000 premium (as I recall - it might have been a bit less) to upgrade from EAP to FSD. Can you confirm that has gone now i.e. is your EAP to FSD upgrade cost now showing as £3400?

Hi,

Yes, was initially £3900, so was a £500 premium, but not any longer it seems.

IMG_2678.PNG

Reactions: Mark-R
People talking about FSD not being worth it while being stuck indoors...

Well DUH.

I'd say even EAP isnt worth it for the summon and the auto lane change. I got EAP. I mean I payed 3400 to have a learner driver occasinally change lanes for me.

So yeah from a purely practical point of view, go get a 5000 KIA and spend then next 5 years spending 15000 on petrol, still wont be as much as a Tesla 3 SR+.

From a "I'm teaching my baby Tesla how to drive" point of view, hell yeah its worth it. I mean, I got a 2 ton robot on my drive and it learns new tricks.... What's that worth?

I had a Bigtrak when I was a kid.... This is the adult version.

I’d pay a grand to have the ability to switch off the bing-bong-bing noise when manually changing lanes because auto-lane change is too slow. Painfully slow!

I have EAP in my 2018 MX and don’t think it’s really worth it, although when I bought it the alternative was nothing at all.

My new M3 has a free 3 month FSD trial (end of year promo) and I was hoping it would be better with newer hardware and processor, but it isn’t. Auto-lane change is as painful as ever. I will be sticking with standard AP when the FSD trial expires. Even if it was £500 I still wouldn’t bother as it adds nothing to the driving experience and actually adds frustration with its slowwww lane changes.

I bought the MS with EAP. Like many people, I think I can say that I don’t regret it, but...

- I would never argue that it was worth even the old lower cost, and
- I wouldn’t recommend to a friend that they necessarily should buy it.

These cars aren’t exactly cheap, so I’d imagine there’ll be a few people that have a little more disposable income buying them. If you’re spending a reasonable wedge, anyway, why not get the toys? I’m not suggesting everyone will think that way, but there will certainly be a few, such as me.

These cars aren’t exactly cheap, so I’d imagine there’ll be a few people that have a little more disposable income buying them. If you’re spending a reasonable wedge, anyway, why not get the toys? I’m not suggesting everyone will think that way, but there will certainly be a few, such as me.

I suspect you are right about this. The novelty factor and expectations are high with FSD and I doubt many people really understand the differences between AP and FSD. Tesla did a great job of selling the FSD dream!

It probably shows how skewed the demographic of people on this forum are

Yet one of the most popular threads is about trying to save literally pennies off your electricity bill after spending at least £40k+ on a car, when you can easily get used EVs for under £10k these days :).

Will be interesting to see what FSD beta features if any get mass deployment anytime soon.

I bought it on my card for a two day trial end of November last year and refunded as I didn't find the functions over and above standard ap to be worth it. I'll give it another go if the FSD beta is released in the UK.