Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you use Tesla installer for NEMA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like a pretty simple job for qualified electrician to do. Our box has room for new wiring, so I am wondering why I should pay 30% more to use the recommended installer. Anyone "go rogue" and regret it?
As always thanks in advance to this responsive community.

No, there is no need to use a Tesla recommended electrician. It's just an outlet and any electrician can do it. Here is the install guide from Tesla's site if you want to print it out for reference. It's just one page.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...4-50.pdf?_ga=1.185233322.260374478.1468854930

You could just give an electrician that sheet for reference if you want, but sometimes some electricians see "Tesla" and think $$$$$$ and add 50% or 100% to their estimates. So if you don't want to show them the sheet, just say you want a NEMA 14-50 outlet and make sure of these two things: make sure it's using 6 gauge copper wire, and that it is oriented with the ground pin on top. Everything else will be self-explanatory.

I accidentally used a Tesla certified installer. I called the company I've always used and it turns out they are one of the Tesla preferred companies in the area. They apparently went through a Tesla training course and document each install and send installation photos to Tesla so that if there's a problem in the future, they know the outlet was installed correctly. Didn't cost me anything extra than what they had quoted for the outlet before they even realized it was for a Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL, GSP and Ormond
Absolutely unnecessary to use a Tesla-referred electrician. A NEMA 14-50 installation should be a no-brainer for any professional electrician.

Tesla-referred ones are just crazy overpriced. Waste of money IMO.

My go-to electrician installed my NEMA 14-50 in the garage in less than an hour. It's been working as expected for almost a week now.

I asked a Tesla recommended place for an outlet for a Tesla, and they wanted $800. I asked another place I found online with good reviews for a NEMA 14-50 installed in the garage, and they wanted $400. I went with the second one and have no complaints. They'll be the first ones I call if ever I need something else done.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Thanks. Very similar to my estimate in NC. Tesla operator was $750!

I think I got lucky. My outlet is less than a foot from main panel. My electrician that I used before did it in an hour. Cost <$200 with all materials. Works like a charm. I don't see a reason to go with Tesla recommended ones for this. There's really nothing special or Tesla specific about installing 14-50.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and GSP
I had a more difficult install. About 75 feet of trenching to get to the garage (our panels are mounted outside in AZ). Then drill through stone and I had them put outlets on each side of my 3 car garage. My are had 3 Tesla contractors. Range was from $1400-$2600. Non-Tesla were close to the $1400 quote. One quoted $1000 with me finding someone else to do the trenching.
Went with the $1400 Tesla company. The one day job turned out to be two full days and some had to be done over on day 2. Got an owner involved and he didn't want any bad reviews by a Tesla owner so he told me to just pay him $1000. They initially used some very inexperienced people. When the right people showed up they were great. Tesla installers do seem to want to have good feedback. From my experience some will also not gouge you because of the car you bought.

787Steve, do you have a 787 too?

Use a local electrician. The main factor affecting cost will be labor time. In my first case, they had to do a tube/cable run of about 30 feet up into the attic from the panel, then down the far wall to where I wanted the outlet. In my second case the panel was only 10 feet away on the adjacent wall and it cost me only about a third of the first one. Just make sure that your panel has enough reserve for at least 50 watts otherwise making up for it will be a major project.