Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dilution of Performance Model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BMWY

Mar 29, 2021
SJ
With seemingly everyone switching from the LR to the P, is anyone else concerned that the P has gone from semi-rare to ubiquitous overnight? Maybe the forum isn't a great sample size, but it seems like 80% of LR orders are switching to Performance to move up their timetable (which is another conversation in itself).

I'm guessing that the "normal" splits were 80/20 LR/P, but I'd be very curious to see what they are now.

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
It's really an interesting case study. Spending 5,10,15k more than you were planning to just to simply move up in line. I'm sure that most can afford it, but undoubtedly some are putting themselves in a bind and will probably sell off quickly.

But to your point, yes it does make the Performance models seem "less special" now in my eyes. My EDD isn't until May/June so I'll probably start at least sniffing around at other options in the interim.

I know several P owners and the first thing they do is look for a used set of 19” Gemini tires/wheels to soften the ride, provide all season capability, get more and cheaper tire options with longer tread wear and get some range back.

That’s what my plan will be when I order my PMY. In fact I’ll probably buy the first set of 19” tires/wheels before I take delivery.

Reactions: jsight and bobbyjae
Also have noticed some folks regret after (firmer ride, tires not squared, winter setup, etc.).

My 2 cents. I was sure for some time I would want the quickest performing Model Y Performance. Over time and for a few reasons
(not wanting 20 or 21 inch wheels being one, due to some cogent comments on them by Stealth3PD) I changed my mind and my order is now for a LR.
I plan to pay 2K for the acceleration boost add on and also I understand swapping in the right alloy wheels can improve 0 - 60 a few tenths of a second.
The Design studio delivery dates change constantly. A week or two ago adding FSD changed delivery to June. Now it does nothing to change date from Oct. - Jan. Now changing from LR to Performance moves you up to June - July.

I could go either way but the one thing that I'll wait for as long as necessary is that my MY is built in Texas GF. I live on the East coast so at some point in the Austin ramp most/all MY ordered from customers in the East are going to come from Texas. My hope is that Texas and Berlin ramp faster than original Shanghai . Given the manufacturing simplifications from giga castings front and rear and the extra time Tesla has had to test and fine tune the changes to assembly with them, it seems very likely to me that ramp will be faster and that would make for less time before all orders from East U.S. are produced by Texas.

Well, as a current owner of both a YLR and YP, I’ll offer another perspective….

First, some color: our LR came first but was followed by the P a mere 4 days later after an unfortunate incident totaled my beloved Stealth3.

Having found myself unexpectedly needing a car quickly, I ordered the MYP as it was purported to be available in 4-6 weeks at time of order. It arrived in 27 days….

Now, for the comparison: with regard to price—the base P is [currently] only $5k more than a base LR. If one were to upgrade the LR wheel to the 20” Inductions ($2k) and opt for the Performance Boost post-purchase ($2k) the delta in price shrinks to a mere $1k. For that $1k, a would-be buyer gets 1) a further reduction of 0-60 time by ~.5 seconds (same as the Performance Boost that cost $2k) 2) 21” Uberturbine wheels (stunning IMO albeit prone to damage and offering a comparatively firmer ride) 3) carbon fiber spoiler 4) sport aluminum pedals 5) red brake calipers 6) slightly lowered suspension to help reduce that unsightly wheel gap. Only a would-be purchaser can decided if these six items are worth the price….in my case, it was an easy decision. The appreciably shorter delivery time was obviously the driver for the decision, but it was easy to defend (to the boss) given all the items listed above.

For those not following the nuances of Tesla pricing, there was a time when the P was $10k more than the LR, in which case I would have waited for a new LR to be delivered and figured out an interim step for my vehicle needs as I couldn‘t justify that delta. Over the course of the last 12 months, however, Tesla has raised the price of the LR significantly more that the P, thus the delta between the two has shrunk appreciably.

Finally, with respect to the wheels/ride/tire-wear/all-season traction argument: this one still stands, and it was something I planned to address immediately upon delivery (and did). My plan was to by M3P Uberturbines (love that wheel on the Y) and wrap in all-season rubber with a taller sidewall. This, IMO, was and is a good plan. However, upon further thought, I went an even easier and more cost effective route: I simply upsized the tires on the 21s and switched to all-seasons. I now have a ride that is virtually indistinguishable from our LR (with Geminis) and that offer the protection (they’re wider), performance (Michelin All-Season 4s), traction and wear profile befitting a crossover SUV. The work was done in my driveway while I was on a conference call. Added benefit: I sold the OEM PZeros and covered more than half my cost Of the new rubber/installation.

Point being: there are numerous reasons to buy a P other than the shorter delivery time. It may not be the right spec for all (we road trip in the LR for its better range, for example) but its a blast to drive and I don’t regret it for a moment. In fact, I would’ve regretting not doing it!

TL;DR — 1) price delta between Y/P isn‘t significant 2) if you buy a P, change the rubber and upsize for a better ride, better look and better performance.

Stay well all.

First, some color: our LR came first but was followed by the P a mere 4 days later after an unfortunate incident totaled my beloved Stealth3.

Having found myself unexpectedly needing a car quickly, I ordered the MYP as it was purported to be available in 4-6 weeks at time of order. It arrived in 27 days….

Now, for the comparison: with regard to price—the base P is [currently] only $5k more than a base LR. If one were to upgrade the LR wheel to the 20” Inductions ($2k) and opt for the Performance Boost post-purchase ($2k) the delta in price shrinks to a mere $1k. For that $1k, a would-be buyer gets 1) a further reduction of 0-60 time by ~.5 seconds (same as the Performance Boost that cost $2k) 2) 21” Uberturbine wheels (stunning IMO albeit prone to damage and offering a comparatively firmer ride) 3) carbon fiber spoiler 4) sport aluminum pedals 5) red brake calipers 6) slightly lowered suspension to help reduce that unsightly wheel gap. Only a would-be purchaser can decided if these six items are worth the price….in my case, it was an easy decision. The appreciably shorter delivery time was obviously the driver for the decision, but it was easy to defend (to the boss) given all the items listed above.

For those not following the nuances of Tesla pricing, there was a time when the P was $10k more than the LR, in which case I would have waited for a new LR to be delivered and figured out an interim step for my vehicle needs as I couldn‘t justify that delta. Over the course of the last 12 months, however, Tesla has raised the price of the LR significantly more that the P, thus the delta between the two has shrunk appreciably.

Finally, with respect to the wheels/ride/tire-wear/all-season traction argument: this one still stands, and it was something I planned to address immediately upon delivery (and did). My plan was to by M3P Uberturbines (love that wheel on the Y) and wrap in all-season rubber with a taller sidewall. This, IMO, was and is a good plan. However, upon further thought, I went an even easier and more cost effective route: I simply upsized the tires on the 21s and switched to all-seasons. I now have a ride that is virtually indistinguishable from our LR (with Geminis) and that offer the protection (they’re wider), performance (Michelin All-Season 4s), traction and wear profile befitting a crossover SUV. The work was done in my driveway while I was on a conference call. Added benefit: I sold the OEM PZeros and covered more than half my cost Of the new rubber/installation.

Point being: there are numerous reasons to buy a P other than the shorter delivery time. It may not be the right spec for all (we road trip in the LR for its better range, for example) but its a blast to drive and I don’t regret it for a moment. In fact, I would’ve regretting not doing it!

TL;DR — 1) price delta between Y/P isn‘t significant 2) if you buy a P, change the rubber and upsize for a better ride, better look and better performance.

Stay well all.
Fair points for sure. That said, I have to assume that the vast majority are not planning on adding the performance boost and swapping out wheels (I think the take rate on perf boost was surmised to be about 15%). So taking assumptions out of the equation, we are still talking about a 5k difference, which is still somewhat significant.

In your situation though, it absolutely makes sense, so I appreciate the insight.

Reactions: MJP.P3D-

Stay well all.
And the MYP comes with matrix headlights.

I’ve been surprised how many MYP as well. Lot of Plaids too but more MYP.

I’ll use the range way more than the P launches.

Model 3 P stealth was the best of both.

Current Model S is faster than former Model S P in most metrics.

Stay well all.
Great comment thank you 👍🏽 Question..how’s the P off the line vs the LR? Did you get ABoost with your YLR?
How’s handling on the lowered susp vs LR…any diff?

With seemingly everyone switching from the LR to the P, is anyone else concerned that the P has gone from semi-rare to ubiquitous overnight? Maybe the forum isn't a great sample size, but it seems like 80% of LR orders are switching to Performance to move up their timetable (which is another conversation in itself).

I'm guessing that the "normal" splits were 80/20 LR/P, but I'd be very curious to see what they are now.

Not all all. I never looked at the P as anything more than a tweaked, compromised high production model Y. And although it's a performer and looker you get all the downsides that keep giving - the well known rougher ride, reduced range, higher insurance rate, increased risk of wheel rash, and increased tire replacement cost. In the end it all depends on what phase of life you are in; how you want to be seen; how your transportation vehicle drives; and what time/money you want to spend maintaining your transportation vehicle.

Last edited:

Stay well all.
What tire size did you go with for the "upsize" on the 21" Ultraturbines.. I'd consider doing the same on a new MYP order

$5k gets you different headlights, bigger wheels, bigger brakes (does anyone actually use brakes though? ), a slightly lower car, and slightly less range.

If you don't care about cosmetics or performance, or want 7 seats, MYLR all the way.

if you want to stomp people at traffic lights or have more people look at you, MYP.

That might be more of "a thing" if there was some actual real trim delineation, but the cars look basically the same. To answer the thread question "no, I dont care what other people buy and dont understand why anyone at all would be "concerned" about what others buy.

Reactions: ChadS
Now, for the comparison: with regard to price—the base P is [currently] only $5k more than a base LR. If one were to upgrade the LR wheel to the 20” Inductions ($2k) and opt for the Performance Boost post-purchase ($2k) the delta in price shrinks to a mere $1k. For that $1k, a would-be buyer gets 1) a further reduction of 0-60 time by ~.5 seconds (same as the Performance Boost that cost $2k) 2) 21” Uberturbine wheels (stunning IMO albeit prone to damage and offering a comparatively firmer ride) 3) carbon fiber spoiler 4) sport aluminum pedals 5) red brake calipers 6) slightly lowered suspension to help reduce that unsightly wheel gap.
Actually, you left out one additional thing you get with the Performance Model... Matrix headlights.

Now that the NHTSA has approved Matrix headlights for US roads, I really think the improved headlights is a major advantage for the Performance Y.

In our small block, there's something like 7 total 3/Y's that I've noticed and none are Performance except ours. While moving forward there could definitely be more Performance models sold however right now the numbers from my viewpoint, the Performance is rather rare. That said, ppl friends and neighbors are asking us more and more about our EV and I tell them get teh Performance. You might as well with such a small premium nowadays.

I simply upsized the tires on the 21s and switched to all-seasons. I now have a ride that is virtually indistinguishable from our LR (with Geminis) and that offer the protection (they’re wider), performance (Michelin All-Season 4s), traction and wear profile befitting a crossover SUV.
Can you specify which new front and rear tire size, maker, and model did you installed?

Which tires manufacturer and tire model were originally installed for the Front 255/35-21 and Rear 275/35-21?