Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm conflicted about this one. It's obvious to us that these were factory paint defects, but on the other hand the OP had the car in his possession for almost an entire month. I think you'd be hard pressed to get any dealer to cover paint issues a full month after you accepted the condition of the car. What would stop me from bringing my car in 3 weeks after I took delivery saying I found a factory paint issue when it was really from someone opening their car door into my car and chipping the paint?

Best thing for anyone to do is thoroughly inspect the vehicle BEFORE accepting delivery. Make sure to note anything and everything you see with the delivery person. Then if it is all acceptable to you, and they say they will fix what you have pointed out, accept delivery at that time.

Tesla absolutely should do right by the OP since it is pretty obvious this is a factory defect in my opinion. But waiting a month to tell them about it is pretty excessive too.

I'm conflicted about this one. It's obvious to us that these were factory paint defects, but on the other hand the OP had the car in his possession for almost an entire month. I think you'd be hard pressed to get any dealer to cover paint issues a full month after you accepted the condition of the car. What would stop me from bringing my car in 3 weeks after I took delivery saying I found a factory paint issue when it was really from someone opening their car door into my car and chipping the paint?

Best thing for anyone to do is thoroughly inspect the vehicle BEFORE accepting delivery. Make sure to note anything and everything you see with the delivery person. Then if it is all acceptable to you, and they say they will fix what you have pointed out, accept delivery at that time.

Tesla absolutely should do right by the OP since it is pretty obvious this is a factory defect in my opinion. But waiting a month to tell them about it is pretty excessive too.
The reason i waited that long was hoping to save me multiple trip to the service center.
But yeah you got a point.

Reactions: preilly44
@obana1990 , please read my experience here. I too live close to the factory and mine was handled properly and accordingly.

Elon Musk Reveals Tesla Model Y Production Ramp Up Problem - Electrek Article
One of the member from this forum (Freds88) contacted me directly and told me one of the advisor at dublin service center might help me out.
Hopefully things will go in my way.

Despite the issue I'm having it's really nice to have a Tesla community that could talk to and share experience :)

Factory advisor, service team and two manager at dublin all refuse to fix the paint for me.
Although the service team do agreed to do a courtesy touch up for me but the result wasn't really satisfying..

See attachment for the touch up they did.
I know it's a touch up, but i recently found out more problem on my car and that really made me felt like im buying a very expensive car that had all these flaws and defect...

Attachments

• 20200620_165055.jpg
    20200620_165055.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Informative
Reactions: firerock
Sorry OP. Been through the same-ish thing (I reported issues after I got back home, which was 500km away so they refused to fix anything!). The only thing they agreed to fix was an interior panel with a broken hook that I clearly didn't break myself (and did so via mobile service). This is a consistent Tesla experience that hasn't gotten any better.

Other dealerships, especially at this price level, inspect the car for you and fix it before you ever have eyes on it. Even when I've had issues, they were much more accommodating (and much faster). If this is what we get with Tesla's unique sales model, I'd happily go back to the traditional dealership model. The worst dealership I've worked with was way better than Tesla.

I'm surprised they tried to touch it up, but yeah that touchup isn't great.

Sorry OP. Been through the same-ish thing (I reported issues after I got back home, which was 500km away so they refused to fix anything!). The only thing they agreed to fix was an interior panel with a broken hook that I clearly didn't break myself (and did so via mobile service). This is a consistent Tesla experience that hasn't gotten any better.

Other dealerships, especially at this price level, inspect the car for you and fix it before you ever have eyes on it. Even when I've had issues, they were much more accommodating (and much faster). If this is what we get with Tesla's unique sales model, I'd happily go back to the traditional dealership model. The worst dealership I've worked with was way better than Tesla.

I'm surprised they tried to touch it up, but yeah that touchup isn't great.
I'd return the car if I was you.

I'd return the car if I was you.

Literally can't. I've outlined this in much more detail in previous posts. The tl;dr is that for the rebates and delivery centre we've used, it's a perfect storm of clauses and too many deliveries resulting in a terrible customer experience with no way to get rid of the vehicle. A term of the rebate is not getting money for the vehicle for one full year (reselling it, returning it, etc.). They don't care because they keep selling anyways. The sentiment if you bring up any issue on delivery is "Fine, don't want to buy it? We have someone else that will pick it up tomorrow. Also you're banned from buying this configuration from a year". The ban is a written Tesla policy you can find on their website.

Besides, returning a vehicle isn't the solution. That is so much hassle and it's still the EV we need if we get/got an EV at all, so we need to play their game for our own sanity. Instead they get what they deserve: I will happily tell people about Tesla's terrible customer service for brand new owners. Probably has no net effect on Tesla (see: keep selling anyways), but that doesn't change the truth. It does mean our next EV, 99% sure it won't be a Tesla (especially since it doesn't seem to be getting any better).

I will say the situations around the Vancouver delivery centre I used are far, far worse than average (I think? Hopefully?).

@obana1990 I don't want to discourage you from getting them to do the bare minimum they should for customer experience, but I wouldn't get too hopeful. This is a rampant issue with Tesla and it seems they've done nothing to improve it. Maybe it starts with you, maybe it doesn't. I'd be gobsmacked if you made any progress, and I'm rooting for you.

Well, Tesla I just hope my love is enough to cover for my hate towards you.

This is a sentiment a lot of us Tesla owners share. You have to be willing to put up with a high level of crap to own a Tesla, unfortunately.

I know with BMW everyone would call "BMW USA" with complaints, hopefully Tesla has a contact like this? And one that actually cares..

They used to. For a while there was an “escalate” option in your My Tesla for issues. Way back in the day they even had a rep here who could act on complaints. Sadly, they have closed all those channels. Downside of the no dealership setup I suppose.

Literally can't. I've outlined this in much more detail in previous posts. The tl;dr is that for the rebates and delivery centre we've used, it's a perfect storm of clauses and too many deliveries resulting in a terrible customer experience with no way to get rid of the vehicle. A term of the rebate is not getting money for the vehicle for one full year (reselling it, returning it, etc.). They don't care because they keep selling anyways. The sentiment if you bring up any issue on delivery is "Fine, don't want to buy it? We have someone else that will pick it up tomorrow. Also you're banned from buying this configuration from a year". The ban is a written Tesla policy you can find on their website.

Besides, returning a vehicle isn't the solution. That is so much hassle and it's still the EV we need if we get/got an EV at all, so we need to play their game for our own sanity. Instead they get what they deserve: I will happily tell people about Tesla's terrible customer service for brand new owners. Probably has no net effect on Tesla (see: keep selling anyways), but that doesn't change the truth. It does mean our next EV, 99% sure it won't be a Tesla (especially since it doesn't seem to be getting any better).

I will say the situations around the Vancouver delivery centre I used are far, far worse than average (I think? Hopefully?).

@obana1990 I don't want to discourage you from getting them to do the bare minimum they should for customer experience, but I wouldn't get too hopeful. This is a rampant issue with Tesla and it seems they've done nothing to improve it. Maybe it starts with you, maybe it doesn't. I'd be gobsmacked if you made any progress, and I'm rooting for you.

Yeah i don't have much hope either.
But figure I should at least try.

Reactions: IdaBish