Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion : All discussion regarding Model 3 and Tax credit in model 3 subforum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered my Model 3P today. IRS website updated today with Model 3P showing as a qualified vehicle. I'm estimated to get my car somewhere between February and March. Hoping it all works out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230127_175749_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230127_175749_Chrome.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: Clover
Just ordered my Model 3P today. IRS website updated today with Model 3P showing as a qualified vehicle. I'm estimated to get my car somewhere between February and March. Hoping it all works out.
Is there a specific date in March 2023 that we need to take delivery in order to get the tax credit, or is it by the end of the month 3/31? I haven't seen a date from the IRS

I don’t think we know the date for sure. I think the Treasury Dept just said they’d release guidance “in March.” And when they release it…how long until it’s effective? That’s the second important question…presumably couldn’t make it effective immediately for the sake of all hell breaking loose but you never know with the government lol.

Is there a specific date in March 2023 that we need to take delivery in order to get the tax credit, or is it by the end of the month 3/31? I haven't seen a date from the I's legislation that will be signed and based on the previous changes it took effect the day of signing. So no one really knows unfortunately.

Is there a specific date in March 2023 that we need to take delivery in order to get the tax credit, or is it by the end of the month 3/31? I haven't seen a date from the IRS
It's legislation changes that will be taken effect on the date of signing. When that date will be is anyone's guess unfortunately. I know when the previous changes took place, on the Hyundai forums people associated a vin number and a purchase agreement with a "safe" date to still get the $7500 credit. People were making mad dashes to make sure they had a purchase agreement before the legislation signing date. A couple of weeks before, everyone knew when congress was going to meet and most likely approve the bill that included that piece of legislation. There's a lot of speculation that this legislation will not get signed because as of now, no one will get the credit based on the next tier of requirements (a certain % of raw materials for the batteries must come from North America) if they take effect in March. So shake that 8 ball and hope for the best. That's the same boat I'm in. 😬

Keep an eye on inventory cars that you can switch to and be ready to pounce - they go quickly!
I've been constantly looking at inventory. No dual motors are showing up yet. Thanks you for looking out. Appreciate the info. The one dual motor that's been in inventory is a white interior grey that's above the 55k cap. I'm guessing it'll be there until the rules for the credit change or until someone that doesn't qualify for the credit needs it.

I've been constantly looking at inventory. No dual motors are showing up yet. Thanks you for looking out. Appreciate the info. The one dual motor that's been in inventory is a white interior grey that's above the 55k cap. I'm guessing it'll be there until the rules for the credit change or until someone that doesn't qualify for the credit needs it.
I am looking for a Blue M3P under $55,000 or a Blue M3 Y with 7 seats. I am stuck on the blue. Saw two M3 Y with 7 seats pop up yesterday and the were gone in 5 minutes. Almost got the white one, but I want blue!

I really wanted a red M3P - the car is so fast, it practically demands to be red. It was worth the $2k premium - and you could argue you'd get some of that back in resale. It's definitely not worth $9,500 though ($2k + $7.5k tax credit loss).

This got me thinking about how silly and arbitrary some of the rules are. The US government is essentially paying you $7,500 not to paint your M3P red or black - because clearly these colors are bad for the environment and the US economy. That's not the intent of course, but fixed arbitrary price caps result in all sorts of unintended consequences. Now if you pull up in a red 2023 M3P - your neighbors will know more about your 2023 adjusted gross income than they did before :).

Reactions: BigNick
I really wanted a red M3P - the car is so fast, it practically demands to be red. It was worth the $2k premium - and you could argue you'd get some of that back in resale. It's definitely not worth $9,500 though ($2k + $7.5k tax credit loss).

This got me thinking about how silly and arbitrary some of the rules are. The US government is essentially paying you $7,500 not to paint your M3P red or black - because clearly these colors are bad for the environment and the US economy. That's not the intent of course, but fixed arbitrary price caps result in all sorts of unintended consequences. Now if you pull up in a red 2023 M3P - your neighbors will know more about your 2023 adjusted gross income than they did before :).
Get the white, wrap it for the $3,000, and get a deeper cherry red. ;)

Edit - I have a feeling black will be reduced $500 very soon. Those will be the cars sitting because they are $490 away from the credit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Enright and BigNick

Tesla could have priced the basic M3P at $52990 and/or changed all optional colors to $1000 so that all M3P configurations could sneak in at $10 under the price cap (which does not include order fees, state taxes, destination charge, or "software" such as EAP/FSD.)

Maybe Tesla wanted red to be an "exclusive" color? If so, they should have mixed a batch of Signature Red or something other than the usual Multi-Coat Red.

If I hadn't bought mine in Dec 2021 and were buying now, I'd just get a Stormtrooper car and adjust my W-4 to avoid giving the IRS a year-long interest-free $7500 loan.

Reactions: Enright

I don’t think we know the date for sure. I think the Treasury Dept just said they’d release guidance “in March.” And when they release it…how long until it’s effective?

The guidance takes effect as soon as it is released. (At least that is how the IRA was written.) So they could release it on March 1st, and that would likely be the end of half of the credit. You will notice that Tesla is playing it safe and says it is only good "for deliveries until March."

1674931137221.png

They are assuming it ends/changes on February 28th.

The guidance takes effect as soon as it is released. (At least that is how the IRA was written.) So they could release it on March 1st, and that would likely be the end of half of the credit. You will notice that Tesla is playing it safe and says it is only good "for deliveries until March."

View attachment 900712

They are assuming it ends/changes on February 28th.
It’s certainly safe to prepare for the worst case…gets released and goes into effect on March 1st. But the truth is we don’t actually know, and the government is full of surprises. They could even delay it again because they’re still arguing about things.

To avoid uncertainty, I ordered my M3P the day of the price cuts.

I am waiting a few weeks to see what CVRP does with Tesla going under $45,000. My income is just below the 400% by $31, so I might be able to get a $7500 rebate. I wanted a Model Y, but if I qualify for the Model 3 with $7500 federal, $7500 CVRP, and $3000 Air Pollution District, I might have to live with a second Model 3.

Where do you see $7500 for CVRP? i only see $4500 max for EV with the increased rebate.
Also, what's the $3000 air pollution district? where in CA are you located?

Where do you see $7500 for CVRP? i only see $4500 max for EV with the increased rebate.
Also, what's the $3000 air pollution district? where in CA are you located?
Update CVRP is below for February 28th. I live in Madera County. It is the San Joaquin Valley Air District.

Summary of February 28, 2023 updates:

Applications must be submitted within 90 calendar days of purchase or lease to be eligible for a rebate. Previously this was stated as 3 months.

In addition to the standard CVRP rebate, consumers with household income less than or equal to 400 percent of the federal poverty level are eligible for an increased rebate amount of $5,500 (previously $2,500) for BEVs and PHEVs, and $3,000 (previously $2,500) for FCEVs. This amounts to:

• $7,500 for fuel cell electric vehicles (previously $7,000)
  • $7,500 for battery-electric vehicles (previously $4,500)
  • $6,500 for plug-in hybrid vehicles (previously $3,500)

Reactions: dohmahmigh