Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion : All discussion regarding Model 3 and Tax credit in model 3 subforum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So are you right or the other guy? lol.
I took advantage of Fed tax credits two times. I know.

Also it is basic common sense. Paying your taxes throughout the year instead of at the time of your tax return should not be detrimental to the tax payer.

Let us say your Fed tax liability is $20K. With this EV credit that liability is now only $12.5K ($20k - $7.5k)

- If you have already paid $4K of taxes then you only have to pay $8.5k more when you file your returns.
- If you have already paid $15K of taxes then you get back $2.5K when you file your returns

Simple as that

Last edited:
I took advantage of Fed tax credits two times. I know.

Also it is basic common sense. Paying your taxes throughout the year instead of at the time of your tax return should not be detrimental to the tax payer.

Let us say your Fed tax liability is $20K. With this EV credit that liability is now only $12.5K ($20k - $7.5k)

- If you have already paid $4K of taxes then you only have to pay $8.5k more when you file your returns.
- If you have already paid $15K of taxes then you get back $2.5K when you file your returns

Simple as that
Thanks, that's they way I took it too. I always get a refund because I've paid in too much so I figured this would just get me a bigger refund.

Reactions: Electroman
Is it true that this time around in order to qualify for the tax credit there is an income test? If so, how much is “too much” to qualify for the credit?

The credit is available to individuals and their businesses.

To qualify, you must:

• Buy it for your own use, not for resale
  • Use it primarily in the U.S.
In addition, your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) may not exceed:

• $300,000 for married couples filing jointly
  • $225,000 for heads of households
  • $150,000 for all other filers

Reactions: mborkow
The key word in your return is “liability”. The guy that said your refund would still be 1,000 is mostly wrong. Your tax payable or refund amounts to this: outstanding refund =/< withholdings -(liability - credits) liability -(withholdings + applicable credits). Payment is almost the same, just remove the “<“ symbol

sorta. Mostly. As far as I know.

Reactions: Adam3
While you're not wrong, I know *today* that HW4 is coming and that does play somewhat into my decision making. Since I don't need a car in the immediate term, I can wait. Of course by doing so I risk prices going up or the tax credit getting halved, etc. I might get impatient if daddy Elon gets the MYP to qualify for 7500...
The model Y performance does qualify for 7500 federal credit? All model 3s and Ys are listed at 7500

Copied from Tesla site today....

1689786813871.png

Customers who take delivery of a qualified new Tesla and meet all federal requirements are eligible for a tax credit up to $7,500.

Adjusted Gross Income Limitations​

1. $300,000 for married couples filing jointly
  2. $225,000 for heads of households
  3. $150,000 for all other filers

Price Caps​

The vehicle price at time of delivery must not exceed the following caps. This price includes optional equipment physically attached to the vehicle at the time of delivery and excludes software features, accessories, taxes and fees.
  1. Model 3: $55,000
  2. Model Y: $80,000
Learn more
Your eligibility for any tax credits depends on your personal tax situation. We recommend speaking with a tax professional for guidance.

Hey guys,

I get a tax refund every year and would like to know how would the EV credit of 7,500 affect my tax refund? My total taxes are at 5k.

Will my tax return go up by 2.5k or will it stay the same (basically as if nothing happened). Sorry, been getting differing answers and would like to know before I make a purchase.

Search the endless threads discussing the tax credit. This topic has been beaten like a rented mule.

The fact that you “get a refund” every year is not relevant. The tax credit is a dollar for dollar reduction of your total tax liability, up to $7,500.

Check line 24 of form 1040 from last year’s tax return. If you expect your income to be similar this year and line 24 is greater than $7,500, you will get the total value of the tax credit (presuming you are below the max income limit of $150k single / $300k joint).

If line 24 is less than $7500, that is the amount of the $7500 you’ll get to claim.

Search the endless threads discussing the tax credit. This topic has been beaten like a rented mule.

The fact that you “get a refund” every year is not relevant. The tax credit is a dollar for dollar reduction of your total tax liability, up to $7,500.

Check line 24 of form 1040 from last year’s tax return. If you expect your income to be similar this year and line 24 is greater than $7,500, you will get the total value of the tax credit (presuming you are below the max income limit of $150k single / $300k joint).

If line 24 is less than $7500, that is the amount of the $7500 you’ll get to claim.
My line 24 is 5k. So when you say I can claim the 5k, does that mean that gets added to my tax refund, or the 5k goes to zero due to the credit and nothing happens to my refund?

Assuming my tax refund is 4k, will my total refund be 9k?

Thank you, I really am just trying to get my math right.