Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion : All discussion regarding Model 3 and Tax credit in model 3 subforum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Shanghai Highland does, yes. I think U.S. may be different due to IRA.
The only way this happens is if Model Y demand drops low enough that Tesla has more US 2170 cells than they need.

So long as they can sell every cell (see what I did there) in a Y instead of a 3, that’s exactly what they’ll do, because it makes them more money.

4680 in a Model 3 any time soon is a pipe dream. The idea that they’ll just plain stop selling them instead of importing cells is hilarious.

We hit the tipping point
1702612940069.png

No acknowledgement or requirement for
North American owned manufacturing of the EV
Total focus on the batteries for parts and chem

IRA has a bad design for its taking years for USA to accomplish such requirements and only Tesla has the guts to do it themselves and alone

I see the need to push usa manufacturing of battery tech
But a more balanced and phased approach is needed
GM and Ford need more time
And Guts

Not having access to the full $7500 by all of the manuf will def slow down EV adoption by the masses

If Tesla can ramp their 4680s and get the content from USA
Tesla will dominate their vehicles ability to capture the $7500
While the others try and catch up

Think the IRAs last year is 2032 and it’s coming fast

I have ordered Model 3 today, I have the purchase agreement dated 12/15/2023, but I have no guarantee that the car will be delivered, paid and picked up by me before 12/31. Lets say, I pay and pick up the car in January 2024, will I still get $7,500 tax credit for 2023 EV car purchase because I have placed an order on 12/15/2023?

To make my situation more complicated, I will be away on vacation during holidays, and back home on Sunday 12/31 when Tesla service shop should be open, but banks are not open for me to get money out. Also, I am very uncomfortable paying for a car unseen because you never know with Tesla when you will actually get the car that has passed all technical inspections and is cleared by service department to be handed over to customer.

ets say, I pay and pick up the car in January 2024, will I still get $7,500 tax credit for 2023 EV car purchase because I have placed an order on 12/15/2023?

No, because you have not purchased anything by placing an order. Any credit is going to be dependent on the date you take delivery (on the paperwork). You are basically setting yourself up to not get the tax credit. You should have ordered previously, or you need to try to find an inventory car and take delivery before your holidays. If you dont take delivery before the end of the year, you wont get the tax credit that is in place this year.

Reactions: ucmndd and mongo
Lets say, I pay and pick up the car in January 2024, will I still get $7,500 tax credit for 2023 EV car purchase because I have placed an order on 12/15/2023?
No, of course not.
To make my situation more complicated
Yes, you’ve certainly done that.

If the tax credit is a dealbreaker, it’s time to get yourself organized. You’ll need to do any or all of:

Switching your order to an inventory car
Changing your travel plans
Paying for the car before delivery

Better hop to it.

Reactions: jjrandorin
No, of course not.

Yes, you’ve certainly done that.

If the tax credit is a dealbreaker, it’s time to get yourself organized. You’ll need to do any or all of:

Switching your order to an inventory car
Changing your travel plans
Paying for the car before delivery

Better hop to it.
When I called local dealer, she said that cars that are available in inventory are only RWD and I most definitely don't want that configuration, I am looking for long range AWD. My main incentive for rushing process is getting $7,500 tax credit. Is it 100% certain that Model 3 will not get 2024 tax credit? If 2024 tax credit is still a posibility, then I don't mind pushing the pickup to January.

When I called local dealer, she said that cars that are available in inventory are only RWD and I most definitely don't want that configuration, I am looking for long range AWD. My main incentive for rushing process is getting $7,500 tax credit. Is it 100% certain that Model 3 will not get 2024 tax credit? If 2024 tax credit is still a posibility, then I don't mind pushing the pickup to January.
To be honest you might not get a LR AWD by January in any case as there seems to be very few of those available at the moment.

That said, Performance models appear to be more readily available in inventory with ~$4k+ discounts that makes them nearly the same price as the LR AWD.

RWD and LR have Chinese-sourced battery cells and it looks to be fairly certain that they are losing the tax credit in January. Performance models with US-sourced Panasonic cells should keep at least part of it.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
My main incentive for rushing process is getting $7,500 tax credit.

If this is the case, why did you wait till 12/15/2023 (16 days) before the end of the year to order, and further limit your availability to take delivery because you are going on holiday / vacation during most of the time you could conceivably take delivery?

Reactions: E90alex
When do we will know if Tesla will offer Point of sale tax credit for model 3 after 1/1/2024.
Tesla has recently announced that that Model 3 RWD and LR will not receive any federal tax credit next year. The Model 3 Performance should still qualify, and I would think they will do the point of sale credit. But my guess is that no official details will be announced until next year.

So the model 3 P still get $7500 credit?

You will need to wait till after the first of the year to find out. Probably not, though. if it gets any credit, it will probably be 3750. There also isnt a highland version of the performance even announced yet, if that is the vehicle you are interested in.

Reactions: MP3Mike
And also the highest degrading. 👍🏻
Really? Wasn't it the best battery? So now which one is it then?

Reportedly, only the P should continue getting the full $7,500 credit in '24, but who knows. But it'd make it cheaper than the LR, so it'd be interesting what Tesla does. My local Ps are not discounted at all, at least not yet. If they don't get at the level of other TX cities ($5K off), I would pass. I have cash on hand, and get back home on the 29th, so we'll see what crazy Elon does. Ha ha. But I think he already made the sales figures he needed, so not sure if we'll see any crazy deals at the last minute. We'll find out soon enough. The last day to buy one would be Sat Dec 30, but better have a cashier's check on hand.

Last edited:
I had an interesting visit to the Tesla store in Manhassett, NY. If you go to the tesla website and order a model 3 say on January 1 and I get it in January will it still be the same configuration as today. He said yes. But I won't get the $7500. I said why. He said the IRS yada yada yada. AND I asked about $7500 tax credit. After all the abuse I've taken on this blog from people telling me I'm an idiot and should call my CPA the man said....you have to OWE $1-7500 to get the credit. If you're getting a refund you get ZERO.

If you pay $7,500 or more in FEDERAL TAXES, whether you get a refund or not, AND your adjusted income for 2023 is below certain figures ($300K for married couples, etc), you'd get that back, in the form of an additional $7,500 refund, or a reduction of your estimated tax payment due Jan 15, 2024, which would be my case, if I end up buying one. If you paid from $0.01 to $7,499.99 in federal taxes, you'd only get that portion back (assuming you're under the maximum income limitations). And only few EVs qualify for a rebate, so you'd have to check if your specific model does (not all Teslas do).

What is not clear to me, is if you still need to qualify for income in 2024, when the rebate is reportedly instant (at the dealer), instead of a tax credit.

Reactions: E90alex