Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like the radar being added to HW4 is the answer to the missing USS and parking/blind spot warnings. It may also improve FSD I suppose. If Tesla’s working on a new set of hardware then is it possible they’ve given up on improving the HW3 vehicles?

I've lost faith in Tesla in solving ADAS/FSD issues.

It's nice that Tesla now has labeled one of It's phantom brakes with a message on the instrument panel that it purposely slows down because it sees First Responder flashing light. The issues were: I was on the very left lane out of 5 lane freeway and I saw no flashing lights anywhere and no First Responder vehicles when it did that.

Waymo has solved these issues for years. Tesla needs to hire Waymo if you want to have hope that Tesla can solve these issues in your lifetime.

At this pace, HW 2, 2.5, 3.0, and upcoming 4.0 won't help.
Waymo drives on lone long highways?

Did he take a waymo from one city to another over a lonesome highway? If not, you cannot claim phantom braking is solved by waymo.
No. Within the confine of the specs of L4.

Tesla also replicated the same with the 2016 demo and resulted in crashing into a fence.

Solving outside of the confine of L4 is no longer L4, it'll be L5 that Waymo has not achieved.

Because it works? Can you elaborate? Please?
Tesla did the homework for the demo with premapping in a predetermined route. That could be called L4 in a geofenced, non-deviated route but still, the collision still happened.

That's why Tesla refuses to compensate for damages while using its system from highway speed to very slow speed in Summon, auto park.

L3 works because Mercedes takes over the liability when you use its L3 system.

Tesla did the homework for the demo with premapping in a predetermined route. That could be called L4 in a geofenced, non-deviated route but still, the collision still happened.

That's why Tesla refuses to compensate for damages while using its system from highway speed to very slow speed in Summon, auto park.

L3 works because Mercedes takes over the liability when you use its L3 system.
You missed my point. Please read my post #66 again. Thank you.

Exactly. The phantom braking is a decision point that the FSD computer determines when it is unsure of what it sees or lack thereof and is a safety decision to force a change in the incoming signals. Ever wonder why Mercedes has L3 ONLY in high density traffic areas?
Waymo does take highways within the predefined limits of their autonomous-taxi service. Tesla AP experiences phantom braking even on such short, few exits within a city (at least it did last I tried it and turned it off). We have 2 Teslas, one with AP1 and one with AP2.5. We use AP1 on highways, AP2.5 is permanently disabled in settings, except maybe once a year I turn it on hoping it got better, but then turn it off few miles later). I considered pushing for the free upgrade to AP3 (not sure if the car qualifies, as it only has Enhanced AP, the old one before most of its features moved to FSD in 2019), but not worth my time as it doesn't seem they've solved the problem yet, so no point. Maybe the next owner will pay to upgrade to AP4 which might reach parity with AP1, since it will have radar back.

Yes you buy into the beta program, but to be honest, no matter what is written in the contract, i would assume most people would believe that the beta will some day be "not beta"

If people were told straight up, that they paid the money to be part of a beta testing team, with the posibility that this product would never be out of beta, i would think a lot of people would not want to pay.

I was considering the half price option, with NOA, but since my car is going to be without USS and radar, this means that right now 60% of the advertised functions of this system is not available.

Autopart, Summon and Smart summon is deactivated as far as i have read, so only Navigate on autopilot and automatic lane change is available.

If they manage to get the other features working i might consider it in the future, but i don't think they will ever be able to make a reliable autopark feature without the Ultrasonic sensors to be honest.
Just sold our Model 3 with EAP and waiting on delivery of new Model Y with standard AP. My favorite part of EAP was auto lane change and I will miss that the most. Rarely used autopark or summon, although if smart summon reached a level of extreme reliability I could see value in the “it’s raining cats and dogs so pick me up at the front of the store” scenario.

I’m hoping they will break those features up and sell them individually one day. I would pay $1k for auto lane change right now but no way am I paying $6k for EAP just to get it.

Waymo does take highways within the predefined limits of their autonomous-taxi service. Tesla AP experiences phantom braking even on such short, few exits within a city (at least it did last I tried it and turned it off). We have 2 Teslas, one with AP1 and one with AP2.5. We use AP1 on highways, AP2.5 is permanently disabled in settings, except maybe once a year I turn it on hoping it got better, but then turn it off few miles later). I considered pushing for the free upgrade to AP3 (not sure if the car qualifies, as it only has Enhanced AP, the old one before most of its features moved to FSD in 2019), but not worth my time as it doesn't seem they've solved the problem yet, so no point. Maybe the next owner will pay to upgrade to AP4 which might reach parity with AP1, since it will have radar back.
Interesting. The car I just sold (2018 Model 3 with HW 2.5 and EAP) logged 159k miles with MANY of them on the highway. I always used autopilot on the highway and absolutely loved it. Phantom braking was an issue early on but seemed to get much better after the first year or so as software updates rolled out. Over the last few years phantom braking events were so rare I hardly noticed them. And when they did occur they weren’t as severe as they were during the initial year of ownership.

Of course this is all anecdotal, I’m just providing my experience to make sure anyone reading this thread understands there are multiple perspectives on autopilot.

Just sold our Model 3 with EAP and waiting on delivery of new Model Y with standard AP. My favorite part of EAP was auto lane change and I will miss that the most. Rarely used autopark or summon, although if smart summon reached a level of extreme reliability I could see value in the “it’s raining cats and dogs so pick me up at the front of the store” scenario.

I’m hoping they will break those features up and sell them individually one day. I would pay $1k for auto lane change right now but no way am I paying $6k for EAP just to get it.
To be honest, i would really like for them to make the addon features transferable.

More of a "Features are linked to my account" rather than "Features are locked to the VIN"

I would really hate to have to rebuy these rather expensive features, if i changed car, especially because i am never going to get anyone to pay a lot extra for these features if i sell it.

I am not talking about me, being able to buy 2 tesla's and have a feature on both, for the price of one, but it should be possible to buy, and then lock the feature to one car, and be able to revoke the license at move it to a new car. Possibly with some limit on how often you can do this...Transfer only possible after 1 year for example.

This would make it A LOT more likely that i would buy a ~$6000 feature ($6000 is the price in the US, according to Tesla's website, here it actually "only" cost the equivalent of $4250 right now, but still a lot of money for something that is "lost" when the car is sold on).

I have 2x2022 M3LR and none ever experienced phantom braking in high density traffic areas. The only time it has done it is when I am on a road with no end to it and no traffic.

Short of adding cameras to the headlights, I agree with you. The existing software is the problem.
Imagine you are driving and you can only see 200 ft ahead of you. As you are driving, you enter a stretch of road where you see nothing on the road but the road itself. In other words, you see no difference in what you saw 15 seconds ago and what you see now. this continues on. At what point will you panic and hit the brakes or pull over?

Imagine you are driving and you can only see 200 ft ahead of you. As you are driving, you enter a stretch of road where you see nothing on the road but the road itself. In other words, you see no difference in what you saw 15 seconds ago and what you see now. this continues on. At what point will you panic and hit the brakes or pull over?
or, do you take the RED pill ? and escape the simulation

• Funny
Reactions: WyoDude and enemji