Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ohhh that’s the problem, they’ve hired incompetent software engineers. Otherwise this is probably a super easy problem to solve.

Landing on the moon is not easy, but pioneers have done all the calculations to make it happen, not by one but for a total of 12 men walking on the moon over 6 different missions (Apollo 11, 12, and 14 through 17).

Today, if a team calculates the numbers wrong and they can't get their ship up to the earth's orbit with enough fuel, then sure, that's incompetent!

Responding to Emergency Vehicles' flashing lights is not easy but Waymo has done it without a human driver since 2017.

Cruise was famous for stopping for the cops and then driving away another distance before stopping again. Cruise defended that it's programmed to park in a safe place and it was not fleeing from the police.

Cruise was founded in 2013 from scratch. That same year, Tesla also said it would have self-driving cars in 3 years (2016). Musk: “It’s not speculation.”

Too much competency is being diverted to Twitter for the $8 verification badge while Tesla is behind in phantom brake issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daekwan
Landing on the moon is not easy, but pioneers have done all the calculations to make it happen, not by one but for a total of 12 men walking on the moon over 6 different missions (Apollo 11, 12, and 14 through 17).

Today, if a team calculates the numbers wrong and they can't get their ship up to the earth's orbit with enough fuel, then sure, that's incompetent!

Responding to Emergency Vehicles' flashing lights is not easy but Waymo has done it without a human driver since 2017.

Cruise was famous for stopping for the cops and then driving away another distance before stopping again. Cruise defended that it's programmed to park in a safe place and it was not fleeing from the police.

Cruise was founded in 2013 from scratch. That same year, Tesla also said it would have self-driving cars in 3 years (2016). Musk: “It’s not speculation.”

Too much competency is being diverted to Twitter for the $8 verification badge while Tesla is behind in phantom brake issues.
Oh, good comparison!
How many engineers did it take for the first moon landing? How much time? How much money?

The rest of this reminds of the common Android argument whenever there is a feature on that platform first

The Twitter comment is ignorant but that doesn’t surprise me based on the rest

Big question, that one. An auto publication I read today said this month, but I'll take that with a grain of salt. If recent history is anything to go by, the Shanghai factory is the first to produce new changes.
Guess my question would be as radar Nor HW4 has been suggested by the company why would a faster PC help in any way to solve a software issue? Do you want it to stop faster?

Reactions: Tam
Guess my question would be as radar Nor HW4 has been suggested by the company why would a faster PC help in any way to solve a software issue? Do you want it to stop faster?
Agreed.

If the erroneous software is not fixed, the more capable and faster HW4 will only speed up the calculations to get the phantom brakes much quicker!

Phantom brakes is only one among others that a quicker processing speed won't help.

Another example is: FSD beta can illogically and wrongly choose a lane. If it's time to go straight, it might wrongly choose the left or right turn only lane. If it's time to turn left, it may choose incorrectly the right turn only lane... In this case, if the software is not fixed, a more powerful and faster HW4 can only speed up the process of choosing the wrong lanes!

The same with an HW4 quicker calculation to veer off toward the opposite traffic direction or veer off to aim at pedestrians...

I feel like HW4 is at least six months to 1 year out. I feel like you'll see it with highland first, then it will make it's way over to MY the following model year IMO. Take this with a grain of salt, but unless we hear a similar equivalence to highland for MY in the next couple of months, I'd bet on M3 getting a refresh for a model year before MY, unless the changes to M3 are literally interchangeable identically to MY.

Upgrade? They would have to retrofit your entire car with new 5K cameras on the I-pillars, along with the new heating elements, change out the windshield camera housing and cameras there (three 2K cams down to two 5K cams plus the new windshield heating element), probably the rear cam, and of course the main computer board. Not to mention the oft-rumored new HD radar element in the front bumper. There likely will never be an upgrade path, or if there were, would be up in the 5-figures.

From the earnings call today, it sounds like there will be not be a retrofit upgrade path from HW3 to HW4. They believe HW3 is fully capable for FSD as is. HW4 will still come first to Cybertruck. No mention of other models. Quite interesting. Not the news some of us were hoping for today.

Reactions: Happy Hippo

If I were buying now, I would refuse to take the car until HW4 is rolled out in production, UNLESS you'd lose the $7,500 by waiting and don't care about ever getting FSD.

Per Musk, HW4 won't be retrofit to HW3 and it seems will never be fully self driving despite all claims since HW2.5

If I were buying now, I would refuse to take the car until HW4 is rolled out in production, UNLESS you'd lose the $7,500 by waiting and don't care about ever getting FSD.pite all claims since HW2.5
I did NOT buy FSD that was offered for $12k now $15K? for that is not worth it at all..CRAZY.. Why don't they decrease it by $13k like they did in early January for the price of the car, Not everyone qualifies for the $7500!