Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they also use 10 bit HDR at a much higher frame rate. The additional contrast may be improving results, but there also may be more to this new suite than we know yet, and watching the three side by side, I can see the similarities with hw1 sensors
hw1 vs hw4 hot a valid comparison here.
if that's your metric, 2-3 generations removed will of course see improvements
but the discussion was hw3 vs hw4

hw1 vs hw4 hot a valid comparison here.
if that's your metric, 2-3 generations removed will of course see improvements
but the discussion was hw3 vs hw4
??? The biggest complaint from everyone moving from hw1 to hw2.0 then 2.5 and ultimately 3.0 was that the performance of the auto wipers never achieved the level of hw1 performance, with folks wishing Tesla would go back to dedicated rain sensors as they missed the reliability of the older hardware. I’m now saying after using all three that hw4 now performs in a similar fashion to hw1’s dedicated sensor, meaning if you have a 2.5/3.0 vehicle and were unhappy with auto wipers, 4.0 is not only working better, but on par with what you remember, should you have come from an older vehicle with a dedicated sensor.

Reactions: GoVols!
sensing for rain, for the autowiper function, are camera dependent and software controlled.
end of story.
the HW version has almost nothing to do with it. urban legends, once started, are hard to kill.
I guess you need video proof to see you're incorrect . Better hardware in this case is is leading to visually better performance. There's a lot more to this camera sensor than meets the eye and the software is definitely tuned for it. I've got 3 model s vehicles side by side and there is a definite difference. Period.

checked - there is nothing for “front bumper camera” or anything close. Only rear view mirror/camera.

It will be a big deal if there is anything that is non hideous and practical for daily use.

Hoping others with more recent info can chime in. Thanks!
It has an option for a forward facing camera.

Android 4G 10.25-inch Tesla Model 3 Y Instrument Cluster Heads Up Display|Hansshow​

Tesla has committed to Tesla Vision but there are rumors they could add a new front bumper camera. I’ve heard the processing power of HW 4 isn’t that significant compared to HW 3 and FSD will already run on the current hardware. With the lower price now plus tax rebate, I jumped in to buy another MYP (bought my wife one last month). I reckon prices will go back up next year with a new model and stronger economy.

Hello , based on some threads , youtube videos I was of the opinion that HW 4 in model Y should maybe come at the end of this year. Is that not true ? I was really waiting for RCTA, parking sensors and other features which are there in most cars there days but lacking in the Y . If it will come in Fall 2024 then I rather book the Y now.

Hello , based on some threads , youtube videos I was of the opinion that HW 4 in model Y should maybe come at the end of this year. Is that not true ? I was really waiting for RCTA, parking sensors and other features which are there in most cars there days but lacking in the Y . If it will come in Fall 2024 then I rather book the Y now.
The rumor is that project juniper is fall of 24, which would be the actual refresh. If there was going to be an additional camera, I'd assume that's when it will be...but all we can do is assume.

There's been no mention of RCTA or USS coming back at all.

This “juniper” timeline doesn’t work for me. I’ll be around 60,000miles on my 2022 Y around this time next year, keeping with my 2 year/60,000mile vehicle replacement schedule. I was planning on another Y (this would be my third), but I’m not buying if it doesn’t have the latest greatest new shiny. Probably end up with an S if that’s the case.

So that means HW4.0 will be
The rumor is that project juniper is fall of 24, which would be the actual refresh. If there was going to be an additional camera, I'd assume that's when it will be...but all we can do is assume.

There's been no mention of RCTA or USS coming back at all.
Ok so for people like me who dont need FSD and would not want to wait that long should we just buy now and hope for future Tesla Vision updates for better parking accuracy in tight spots ? I don't run my car much. My 2015 CRV has gone just 80k miles in 8 years. I will be keeping this one for atleast 5 years before I sell . I was so hung up on HW 4.0 coming in Q4 2023 that I pushed out all my plans. Please advise.

Ok so for people like me who dont need FSD and would not want to wait that long should we just buy now and hope for future Tesla Vision updates for better parking accuracy in tight spots ? I don't run my car much. My 2015 CRV has gone just 80k miles in 8 years. I will be keeping this one for atleast 5 years before I sell . I was so hung up on HW 4.0 coming in Q4 2023 that I pushed out all my plans. Please advise.
Have you considered leasing instead? Less impact on your net cash outlay if prices continue to drop or if the HW4 upgrades are massive and deliver a financial hit to HW3 models.

I’m buying now. My second MYP in two months. Prices are low plus tax credit. Economy will bounce back next year and rebates will be taken at retail which means prices will go up. Plus waiting for Tesla to deliver something new on your timeline is rolling the dice.

Have you considered leasing instead? Less impact on your net cash outlay if prices continue to drop or if the HW4 upgrades are massive and deliver a financial hit to HW3 models.
With lease I loose the $7500 benefit so not an option for me. Since I try to buy a car ayleast once in 5 years I was hoping to buy something which will last. For ex my 2015 CRV Touring was the first time when Honda introduced Lane Keeping Assist, Collision Braking, auto cruise control with low speed follow etc which became standard after two to three years in all Hondas
Collision braking helped and saved me multiple times in last 8 years from minor accidents. I was just worried that with HW 4.0 the existing car value will fall fast especially if it meant waiting just 6 more months for the new tech. However if the same plans to come fall next year then I rather buy now .

My 2022 Model Y was rear ended two weeks ago and rear Gigacasting was cracked. It will surely be accepted
as a total loss by insurance company. I'm hoping HW4 and new cameras will be added to Y this year but I've
yet to find any clues as to when it will happen for Y.

My 2022 Model Y was rear ended two weeks ago and rear Gigacasting was cracked. It will surely be accepted
as a total loss by insurance company. I'm hoping HW4 and new cameras will be added to Y this year but I've
yet to find any clues as to when it will happen for Y.
If you get an aswer to this then please let me know as well. I have been goign crazy searching internet , asking the same question on various forums etc. Some say end of this year , others say fall 2024. Also with all the EV competions hottening up do you think these prices will be the same by end of this year ? If not then whatever money we lose by buying now ( HW4 making HW3 obsolete) will be offset by the increased prices.