Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess the thing now is buyers will have to know how much a Tesla is actually "worth" paying for and track prices. Sorta like watching prices on amazon or camel x3. Forum and news is going to be lit the next few days with this change.
People have already done that in the past, here's an example from a year ago:
tesla-model-y-base-price-history-1-png.724547

Price Increase! Base Y price up $2,000 to $56,990...

Another by another site:
screen-shot-2021-07-22-at-93138-pm.webp

Tesla Raises Prices on Model 3 and Model Y

Not that hard to do yourself looking at wayback machine at internet archive. As I mentioned, even this price is not the lowest point yet for Model Y LR (edit: it was $48,990, even lower than the $49,990 shown above). This is just largely partly resetting the previous increases. Certainly not bringing it to RAV4 territory as some are claiming up thread ($50k for a base model mid-size SUV is still firmly in the premium category).
Tesla Cuts Price Of Model 3 And Model Y Long Range Version
For the record, Amazon doesn't price match neither. Guess you can return stuff though there.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out and if this is seen as a positive buying experience when it swings the other way. We all know the dealership horror stories, but prices don't tend to swing that much due to cost to make the vehicles and Tesla's were probably never worth how much they charged for them (why they had such high profits).
This is just matching market trends, except Tesla is doing it transparently with a direct price on their website. Used car prices have declined as the insane market last year has finally peaked. Tesla can't possibly be immune to this completely. Another factor in this is how the tax credit is structured, which puts pressure to hit certain price points.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz and ord3r
I fear that Tesla will out-compete all other car manufacturers with these new prices. At these levels, there isn’t any margin to make a profit with unless you’ve scaled up production, something only Tesla so far has achieved. The competitors will bleed a lot of money this year, draining themselves of cash to invest in their EV production lines.

Reactions: Yelobird and Zorg
I fear that Tesla will out-compete all other car manufacturers with these new prices. At these levels, there isn’t any margin to make a profit with unless you’ve scaled up production, something only Tesla so far has achieved. The competitors will bleed a lot of money this year, draining themselves of cash to invest in their EV production lines.
That's the strategy they have pursued in China a while back already. Every time a competitor comes up with an EV that matches the Tesla in features and presents a better value, Tesla just does a massive price drop and then people come running back to Tesla.

I suppose the promotion of their China boss to take over managing production and sales operations in NA and EU is not a coincidence:
Tesla makes China boss Tom Zhu its highest-profile executive after Elon Musk

Reactions: DrGriz
I mentioned similar thoughts too on that buyer remorse thread when they did the recent $3750 or $7500 price drop. Basically people did their best decision with the known information at the time. No point in going back and regretting things, when you can just enjoy the car. For me personally, I took delivery of a M3 SR+ on the last day of 2020, and literally a week later Tesla comes out with the MY SR, which was really the car I wanted. I learned to just enjoy driving the car (which I do).
This is the mature way to look at this but I’m definitely not there today. Basically they have trained me as a customer to not trust them. There’s a level of wtf that they have exceeded.

Somebody mentioned giving people who bought in December or November free fsd or eap, that would help a lot to make this feel more equitable. However, until then, I will be voting with my money by boycotting them.

As for rav 4 comparison - I think rav 4 prime pricing isn’t too far off at msrp.

I'm surprised they didn't just drop the model y performance by another 1900 (from 56,900) so it qualifies for the 55k price limit for the EV rebate, that would give another $7500. Then it would really push sales of MYP even better🤔
They didn't want to flood the roads with white MYPs. The $53K price point for the LR lets people choose two $1K options and still get the tax credit.

Reactions: halfhumble
This is the mature way to look at this but I’m definitely not there today.
I feel you, you'll get to that view. Don't get there for Tesla, but for yourself. No point in beating yourself up or wasting energy angry at Tesla for something that really comes down to luck.

The hard part will be learning to love that Tesla logo staring you in the face every day though lol!