Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Feeling similar at the moment. Tesla should be looking at how to make this right for everyone who made their 22Q4 a record 22Q4. I'm still in 22Q3, but the pain is still there.
It’s Fri the 13 for all of us who bought last year. I sold my 22 Y to my brother for 60k and bought a 3 performance 2 weeks ago. I feel like I was just scammed by Tesla. If they don’t make this right I can never own another Tesla going forward. I know it’s only money but it’s the principal.

Reactions: zpaul and DL_Mike
Nobody else to blame but Tesla. I don't see Ford cutting the Mach E by 23% today...can you name one other EV in the market today that got cut 23% today? Because if you didn't, the the manufacturer and not the "market" as a market isn't one manufacturer, it's all of them.
It's true that Tesla has volatile pricing, but some of the pricing adjustments for the other car dealers is hidden behind the veil of dealerships. This will probably accentuate the drop of those dealer markups that have been seen in other EVs.

Good luck to them. think my next $65k will not be on a Tesla though. They could have been more transparent about the “surge” mark up. Even car dealers are more honest. I will be spending my next $65k elsewhere.

If they want to be ford (Toyota has better quality), they should be treated like ford.

I think they have a pretty good luck
RAV4 is still hard to find and prices are jacked up ridiculously. Let alone getting the prime
You can pre-order new prius and eta is sometime next year. No thanks, I will take Tesla today and drive tomorrow.

j
Just sayin' that according to your answer companies should never, ever lower prices, even if it's a tactically sound decision, and companies should only ever raise prices so they don't hurt anyone's feelings that previously bought their products, what did I miss?
As a Canadian buyer, I've never seen a price reduction/increase of 20% over night outside of the stock markets. Most companies give a *sugar* about their customers and brand image.......so trying to downplay it as a regular business practice is bullshit

My opinion: There's exactly ZERO chance Tesla is giving away FSD to anybody, and speaking from personal experience in 2019 when I purchased FSD for 6K. That was a colossal waste of money.
I tend to agree FSD isn't going to be given away any time soon. BUT, almost nothing on the planet has a zero change of change ;) As a really old guy, I remember, people saying automatic transmission will never be included for free, GPS will never be included for free, etc etc. So, some day in the future FSD type features will probably be included for free, yet sure, I don't see it coming soon. Maybe I'll be dead by then. :eek:

• Informative
Reactions: 804son
Yes, this is a downside but it is dwarfed by the surge in demand and the surge in new customers. This drastic price reduction bodes well for long term demand despite a mini-boycott by disgruntled 2022 buyers.

Of course this sucks for recent buyers but that does not mean it's a bad business move by Tesla.
Agreed.

Unless your desire is to stay a niche brand.. volume is king.

Nobody else to blame but Tesla.
You could try blaming the people who (wisely) were not buying Model Ys at $66k. Tesla has to sell cars. People weren't buying them at the price on offer. The market has spoken, Tesla's choice is adapt or die.

I don't see Ford cutting the Mach E by 23% today...
Right, because Ford can't make anywhere near enough of them to satisfy demand. Tesla can crank out a million Model Ys a year. That said, Ford and others are going to have to respond somehow as they're going to lose a lot of orders to people who can now walk out and get a Model Y for a better price within a month or so.

can you name one other EV in the market today that got cut 23% today? Because if you cant't, then it's the manufacturer and not the "market", as a market isn't one manufacturer, it's all of them.
This is but the first shot. More to come. Your opinion here seems to be that Tesla voluntarily drastically reduced their prices and profits to stick it to you and the rest of the unfortunates that bought at historic highs. Say that out loud. Do you hear how it sounds?

I tend to agree FSD isn't going to be given away any time soon. BUT, almost nothing on the planet has a zero change of change ;) As a really old guy, I remember, people saying automatic transmission will never be included for free, GPS will never be included for free, etc etc. So, some day in the future FSD type features will probably be included for free, yet sure, I don't see it coming soon. Maybe I'll be dead by then. :eek:
You're exactly right, I was referencing short term change only.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
j

As a Canadian buyer, I've never seen a price reduction/increase of 20% over night outside of the stock markets. Most companies give a *sugar* about their customers and brand image.......so trying to downplay it as a regular business practice is bullshit
Acting decisively and all at once was their only realistic option. If buyers get used to a slow trickle of price decreases, everyone sits on the sidelines and waits for the next one. Tesla needs to sell cars now.

This is but the first shot. More to come. Your opinion here seems to be that Tesla voluntarily drastically reduced their prices and profits to stick it to you and the rest of the unfortunates that bought at historic highs. Say that out loud. Do you hear how it sounds?
I believe you're right here, there may very well be more responses from other manufacturers.

Reactions: Choncho
I think they have a pretty good luck
RAV4 is still hard to find and prices are jacked up ridiculously. Let alone getting the prime
You can pre-order new prius and eta is sometime next year. No thanks, I will take Tesla today and drive tomorrow.
Yeah that called a company that built decades of goodwill so people want their products and trust them.

Races to the bottom on price never work so their luck has shifted. It’s not going to drive anyone meaningful out of business and now there’s 800k new Tesla owners who will be buying from elsewhere in the future.

Must be hard to shop for groceries if your philosophy is that when peanut butter prices drop you won't ever eat PBJ's again.
Silly comparison. We're taking about a very large purchase you make once ever 3-5 years, maybe more. And a price cut that is rather unprecedented in the auto industry for both its steepness and abruptness. Tesla gets the benefits of direct and online sales without having to provide any of the payment options (credit card that many have price drop protections on) or customer-friendly policies.

Old Tweet but I'm assuming Elon's stance on the price matching hasn't changed...
1673632306556.png