Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I initially ordered a MYLR in February of 2022, which at the time was supposed to be done in a few months. By November, the MY was still not ready, and the used car market had crashed, causing my trade-in to lose like $15K in value. I ended up canceling my order then because the order no longer made financial sense.

Fast forward to the January price cuts, things worked out better financially due to the lower prices, and I was able to order again!

My first delivery day was last week and I ended up rejecting the car because the overall condition was just awful. I am currently awaiting my second (and last chance) VIN and will hopefully get a better build at some point.

I am totally up for buying used still, but in my area finding a quality and clean used Tesla is hard enough, let alone from a dealer that has lowered their prices to match the current new pricing levels. So far, no luck there either.

I am just tired of waiting!

Do you only get two chances to refuse a VIN due to quality not up to your requirements/specs and you have to lose the $250 after that?

Yes - according to my SA, by the second rejection, Tesla considers that it has fulfilled it’s obligation to the order, regardless of the build quality of the vehicles. There is no getting back the $250.

So Tesla just has to attempt to deliver garbage twice before taking your money. Lame. Too bad legit competition is still years away and they will probably adopt similar lame behavior.

Reactions: PewPew
Hey, it's a brilliant move on the part of Ford. Honestly. They probably saw what Tesla did and how upset people became and then lowered their prices and did what everybody was hoping Tesla would do just to show Tesla up.

And how many MMEs did they move in January? A 1000?

think you're very smart to wait. If I could do it over I would absolutely wait for HW4 which will be a big change, and wait for parking situation to be sorted. Likely further price cuts as well.
I thought about waiting for HW4. That will be cool. But figured I’d rather have a new car now and then trade up in a couple years …. Figuring HW4 will take a while to get Cyberteuck ramped up first and then move on to Y and 3.

Reactions: Blacked_Y
I've been thinking about how I would feel if Tesla reduces the MYLR even further in the latter part of March and I take delivery before then. I feel that I must accept that may occur if the battery requirements guidance is not favorable for the 2170 battery pack causing a drop in demand and cancellations of open orders. You know that saying, 'Bird in hand is better than two in the bush.'

I am on the fence here for sure, thought to order but didn't. Timeline: I need a new car by Oct 23 when my current lease ends.

Wife is super mad we missed the federal rebate (delivery on MY7 is now April+) Doghouse for me.
You may still get the full federal tax credit, it is not a rebate. I think a lot of people don't know this and will be shocked when they only receive $3000 with tax credits when they file taxes next year. These credits also do not carry over like solar installations did. If you only have $5000 federal taxes due, that is all you will get with the credit.

The government doesn't know what they are doing at this point. In my opinion, it will be here through the summer before they actually institute their changes to the credit. From the IRS, "The Treasury Department and the IRS anticipate issuing the proposed guidance in March." The government anticipating means to throw another 6 months past that date. :p You can read more about the confusion here.

With all of the MYSRs starting to enter existing inventory, my guess is the "Model Y price drops" will really be a shift of manufacturing and sales on the MYSRs, which can stay under 55k. I can't imagine MYLR moving down much further as MYSRs ramping up as we speak.

You may still get the full federal tax credit, it is not a rebate. I think a lot of people don't know this and will be shocked when they only receive $3000 with tax credits when they file taxes next year. These credits also do not carry over like solar installations did. If you only have $5000 federal taxes due, that is all you will get with the credit.

The government doesn't know what they are doing at this point. In my opinion, it will be here through the summer before they actually institute their changes to the credit. From the IRS, "The Treasury Department and the IRS anticipate issuing the proposed guidance in March." The government anticipating means to throw another 6 months past that date. :p You can read more about the confusion here.

If you can buy a new car at the 50+ k average price, your tax liability is probably high enough.

Meanwhile, Machin is trying to retro the credit to enforce the domestic requirements as of Jan 1, being the nice jerk that he is. Probably won't succeed, now that he's no longer capable of holding up Senate business by himself.