Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my MYP 1-year ago on Sept 29, 2022 and paid the $69k + tax. I can't believe current inventory is running at ~$53k + incentives!

I checked a Tesla trade-in quote and it was $39.5k. can't believe I've lost 50% of the cars sticker in 1 year
I am pizzed that I paid a little under $61k for my MYP when the market for them was crazy and I watched the price tick up to almost $71k if I recall (This was the time I waited 7 months for a LR before giving up and switching to a MYP. I feel sorry for the folks who paid even more than I did. I cannot think of another brand that has reduced their vehicle prices like this. Tesla has killed some of us. I suspect many people are now upside down on the loans. Pretty shxtty of Tesla to be honest. Name another company that has recently reduced the price of cars and not giving one hoot about their current owners? I cant think of one.

• Funny
Reactions: Oyinko and ucmndd
I am pizzed that I paid a little under $61k for my MYP when the market for them was crazy and I watched the price tick up to almost $71k if I recall (This was the time I waited 7 months for a LR before giving up and switching to a MYP. I feel sorry for the folks who paid even more than I did. I cannot think of another brand that has reduced their vehicle prices like this. Tesla has killed some of us. I suspect many people are now upside down on the loans. Pretty shxtty of Tesla to be honest. Name another company that has recently reduced the price of cars and not giving one hoot about their current owners? I cant think of one.
I hear you, and your frustration.
My recommendation is to just drive it. It's a great car, and if you keep it and sell it after say 8-10 years, the impact of that price drop will seem very small. It's a different story if you switch cars every few years though, .....

Reactions: carpendj
Tesla needs to drop price of their X by another 7k for the folks who really want an X with options like White interior and 3rd row and be qualified for the tax credit. One of the main reasons for upgrading from a Y to the X(at least for me) is the actual usable 3rd row than the y. Sometimes I feel that maybe Tesla should’ve had dealers and the ability to negotiate.

I recently test drove a BMW iX and the manager was ready to give me $10k discount if I took delivery right then and there. There are not many people buying 80k cars with the interest rate now so Musk should lower the price or start giving cash backs etc

Reactions: Mike7564
Tesla needs to drop price of their X by another 7k for the folks who really want an X with options like White interior and 3rd row and be qualified for the tax credit. One of the main reasons for upgrading from a Y to the X(at least for me) is the actual usable 3rd row than the y. Sometimes I feel that maybe Tesla should’ve had dealers and the ability to negotiate.

I recently test drove a BMW iX and the manager was ready to give me $10k discount if I took delivery right then and there. There are not many people buying 80k cars with the interest rate now so Musk should lower the price or start giving cash backs etc
Or maybe finance loans for their cars at subsidized rates.

Reactions: amoney805

There is a reason why car dealerships are such money makers and many owners of them live in mansions, though; these places are a very large middleman. I gotta imagine teslas would be much pricier with the conventional model.

Or maybe finance loans for their cars at subsidized rates.
Yeah this is the answer here and wouldn't be surprised if Elon exercises this to push demand. A low (or zero) interest loan effectively is a price reduction since they will have to hand over some cash to Wells Fargo and whoever funds their loans.

It does however preserve value for existing owners who get screwed by insurance when the value of the car is reduced due to msrp reductions. There is also a psychological impact of a low interest loan during this period of high rates. Better bang for your buck.

The way Elon was talking during the earnings call I think was a hint. He understands it's all about the payment. I bet we see them start offering financing incentives. Inventories are going up and they have more margin to give.

Reactions: EatsShoots
23 MYP is about 53 now and I'm stubbornly holding out hoping it gets to 50 and/or the few used 23's at random dealers are sold for a realistic used price. Love how the X dealerships have preowned 21/22/23 Y's for MORE than you can buy one brad new from Tesla.
If I was you If they offer any more incentives in December, go for it. 3k is not worth holding out for if you really want the car. I have had the model y since February and it has changed my life. I didn’t think not going to gas station would be such a big deal..in my Q7 they took premium gas..had to be at Costco line for 30 min to top for a week..with Tesla and free charging at work..it’s awesome

Reactions: pipestem

Well, other car makers probably have other restrictions from keeping them from pricing on supply-and-demand only. Makers financing dealers helps makers assure their dealers don’t go bankrupt, and dealers make the premium margin when demand is high. So the dealers get the control with regular cars, not Tesla.

Buying a car is a decision you are making at the moment. At that point in time, you probably thought you were going to keep the car for more than 3 years, or you could have leased it with a more certain outcome. The gamble of buying is owning the vehicle for better or worse.

I only want to buy because I’m hoping to have a very long life with this vehicle.

Perhaps Tesla is hoping to keep used Teslas off the street too, making every purchased Tesla a brand new one.

These cars are sort of like the iPhone of cars. Right? I’m still using an iPhone 7, and it works fine. I might have overpaid for it ages ago, but that doesn’t matter now. Others can get them for free, and it’s not worth it to sell this one. So I keep using it. Isn’t that the greenest thing I can do?

Are you experiencing any problems with your Tesla?

Reactions: flixden
I know no one knows for certain but wondering what the community thinks the likelihood Tesla raises Model Y pricing in between now and end of the year.

The reason I ask is I have a 2012 Model S with unlimited super charging and Tesla new promo is to transfer the supercharging feature to a new Model Y if you take delivery by end of year.

I am 99% certain I am going to get a Y but the question is do I do it now or just wait until December to take delivery right before 12/31? So I would hate for Tesla to raise model Y price in next 60 days and I have to pay more than I would if I just ordered today.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have on this topic.

Thanks,
Aaron

I know no one knows for certain but wondering what the community thinks the likelihood Tesla raises Model Y pricing in between now and end of the year.

The reason I ask is I have a 2012 Model S with unlimited super charging and Tesla new promo is to transfer the supercharging feature to a new Model Y if you take delivery by end of year.

I am 99% certain I am going to get a Y but the question is do I do it now or just wait until December to take delivery right before 12/31? So I would hate for Tesla to raise model Y price in next 60 days and I have to pay more than I would if I just ordered today.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have on this topic.

Thanks,
Aaron
Pull the trigger! there is no rhyme or reason to Tesla's price increases/decreases. I feel making sure you keep the supercharging is the most important thing here.

Reactions: EatsShoots
Yeah it's very hard to predict. I doubt anybody here really predicted that Tesla would have just risen the price of the model x plaid by $5k, for example, as they have done.
It does make sense when you look at US inventory. X inventory is trending stagnate to down. Y inventory is tending up. Tesla has made their bed being value engineering and high margins. They will get cozy with margins to ride the storm out.

Does anyone know when the new 2024 Model Ys would start being assigned? I am trying to order now to take advantage of the FREE Unlimited Supercharging transfer but don't want to do it now and get a 2023 when in a few weeks or a month we'd get assigned 2024 vins. I know with Teslas it's different than traditional car manufacturers and there is typically no physical difference since Tesla applies hundreds of changes throughout the year without waiting.

Does anyone know when the new 2024 Model Ys would start being assigned? I am trying to order now to take advantage of the FREE Unlimited Supercharging transfer but don't want to do it now and get a 2023 when in a few weeks or a month we'd get assigned 2024 vins. I know with Teslas it's different than traditional car manufacturers and there is typically no physical difference since Tesla applies hundreds of changes throughout the year without waiting.
Regarding the unlimited supercharging transfer. Does this include transferring from a Model 3? I couldn't find any details if it only includes the S, X, or all teslas? Im looking into getting a Y performance.

Regarding the unlimited supercharging transfer. Does this include transferring from a Model 3? I couldn't find any details if it only includes the S, X, or all teslas? Im looking into getting a Y performance.
It doesn't say you can't tranfer from a model 3 or if it's only for SC01 OR SC05, the only limitations I saw are 1) you are the owner for the new and old 2) Buying an S, X or Y (not a 3) 3) not using referral link.

Reactions: amoney805
Interesting point. On the M3, it’s all about the refresh, and it sounds like the older M3 will continue into 2024. If it’s just a year slapped on the title, I thought most car makers switch in August to September, at least for the old imports that I know. Tesla still seems to be reporting October-November delivery for 2023 vehicles. Since we are only a week away from the end of October, you might need to wait until Christmas to be assured you’re in a 2024 delivery. I was just coming here to report on inventory. I was hoping to see inventory rise for coming discounts. I’m guessing you’re hoping for inventory to fall so you can get a freshly built 2024 model (identical to a 2023). I’m not sure either of us are seeing what we are going for.

• Model S - 2736
  • Model X - 3349
  • Model 3 - 1105
  • Model Y - 2094
  • Total = 9284
Maybe compare these numbers to what I’ve posted above for US inventory maybe a week of so ago and you can see the direction inventory is headed for the model you are interested in. Honestly, I’m not sure any of the numbers are changing in any significant way. It seems that maybe the MX and MS inventory might be a little higher than Tesla would like. I don’t know.

With lower prices, government incentives, and recently seeing a few X on the road, I did recently start to appreciate the MX a bit more. I think it has a better shape than the Y. But the 3 and the S are the only ones that I think look really good as far as styling goes.

If I’m willing to drive a long ways to take delivery and if I’m willing to wait until close to quarter/year end, is it likely that there will be discounts from Tesla to pad their end of quarter/year sales numbers?

Wanting to buy a MY 7 seater long range without missing out on the tax credit (sounds like 2024 models may not qualify, possibly due to sourcing more parts out of the USA?).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks