Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla needs to drop price of their X by another 7k for the folks who really want an X with options like White interior and 3rd row and be qualified for the tax credit. One of the main reasons for upgrading from a Y to the X(at least for me) is the actual usable 3rd row than the y. Sometimes I feel that maybe Tesla should’ve had dealers and the ability to negotiate.

I recently test drove a BMW iX and the manager was ready to give me $10k discount if I took delivery right then and there. There are not many people buying 80k cars with the interest rate now so Musk should lower the price or start giving cash backs etc
The BMW iX is sitting on the dealer lots for a long time. They are not selling. I think its because the front looks like a beaver with two big front teeth LOL, but others like the look. I would expect good deals to be had for those wanting one.

Tesla needs to drop price of their X by another 7k for the folks who really want an X with options like White interior and 3rd row and be qualified for the tax credit. One of the main reasons for upgrading from a Y to the X(at least for me) is the actual usable 3rd row than the y. Sometimes I feel that maybe Tesla should’ve had dealers and the ability to negotiate.
be careful what you wish for.... The middleman would keep all rebates/ "earn" his keep/commision

I do think TSLA reps are too far the other way as salaried. They should have more performance bonus

I love TSLA's transparent pricing, ups and down. They should do a 30 day price match thouhg

I’ve been really watching inventory, and there was an October bump in inventory, but it seems that the inventory is now dropping a bit. It seems that there’s a small bump and fall in overall inventory at the beginning of each quarter followed by a much larger bump the second two months, the second month of each quarter seeing a larger rise in the inventory, and the third month of each quarter being a sharp reduction in inventory. Clearly the MS and MXinventory is getting knocked down from the 3000-3500 car inventory that just seems way too high for cars with no government incentives. That may be part of why there were such huge price drops for those two vehicles. Perhaps clearing out the inventory will be wise so they have the ability to control the supply and demand more. It sounds like the Highland refresh of the M3 will likely be a cost-cutting design change (no stalks) while providing a fresher look that enables them to raise the price a bit (increase that dwindling profit margin). Clearly they need to ramp up the production of the Cybertruck and fulfill the orders they have for the truck already, but they need to make sure the people who plunked down the $100 deposit don’t just say, “no thanks. I will buy an F150 or Rivian instead.” It does sound like the Cybertruck may sink Tesla. It was cool several years ago when they announced it and there were not other trucks on the market. Personally, I think the sharp edges are not real likely to survive. Fins and Sharp Edges were removed from vehicles for safety reasons. First time someone hits their head on one of those sharp corners, Tesla is going to be sued. Tesla would be smart to bust out the angle-grinder and soften some of those edges. Does that affect orders or deliveries? Probably not. Do deliveries even help them at this point? Probably not because every Cybertruck delivered is another loss for the next year or so. Will they EVER make money on the Cybertruck? Possibly not. What does that mean for pricing of the other vehicles? Shares sure are sinking.

Rivian is building what people want, SUVs and pickup trucks. The other big makers are doing the same. They find the EVs with their ICE counterparts like Tesla is trying to do with the Cybertruck. It’s just too bad for Tesla that the hype over the Cybertruck is dead before it even hits the market.

Did Ford patent the concept of powering your house with your vehicle battery? Why hasn’t Tesla offered this? I believe that’s a real selling point for the F150 for people with big bucks.

Knowing the M3 and MY need to fund these other projects, I’m not expecting the price to fall too far. I DO expect Tesla to somehow virtually clear out the inventory of M3 before the end of the year though. They might not have to discount it since the government money for it is going to be cut in half. The MY will continue to be more expesive. At one point it seemed the MY RWD was supposed to be only $3750 more than the M3. I don’t expect that difference to ever get any smaller than that number. So I’m going to guess that $40k and $45k are going to be the targets for the M3 and MY cheapest available going forward. That’s just my opinion. I do hope to get a M3 significantly cheaper than that before the end of the year though. Time will tell.

Since I’ve only been learning for about a month, I don’t know much. I can guess though.

It does sound like the Cybertruck may sink Tesla.
I'm not sure how it does this. Even if it becomes a failure they can bail. I've been super negative on teslas future for many years, but things were far more dire five years ago. Now they are actually profitable. Only within the last couple of years did I have to admit that Tesla isn't going anywhere. That, opening NACs, etc. is why I felt comfortable getting one finally.

Hype for CT is not dead by any stretch. When I first saw it I thought it was the dumbest looking POS I'd ever seen, but my wife loves it, so we put $100 down. Now the more I look at it the more I like it--and the more I think it would suit me perfectly. I'm a full size truck owner who, frankly, uses it mainly as a single-person commute/city vehicle. I don't need the damn thing at all. CT gets me a more comfortable vehicle for 99% of my trips while affording me the ability to put topsoil in the back or whatever else.

Reactions: Hiline and mknmike
Depends. Tesla claims that making changes to the order may delay the delivery date but if there is an existing vehicle with a matching configuration it’s VIN may get assigned to you sooner.

Right I checked inventory to make sure nothing had a hitch. Surprised they hadn't matched my no hitch order yet. I'm not in a hurry if there are more price drops on LR Y

Anyone recently sell their Model 3 SR LFP? I bought back in November of 2022 after waiting months to take delivery and the recent price drops + tax credit are starting to get to me. I'm thinking of just downgrading to an older car for the time being (like old Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander).

I want to see if this is a good idea or how underwater I am on the car after paying like $50k after taxes and fees. And with the redesigned Model 3 coming out soon I fear prices might drop more. Ultimately I want to get a Cybertruck but I'll wait years after the launch vehicles and also watch how that pricing situation plays out.

Anyone recently sell their Model 3 SR LFP? I bought back in November of 2022 after waiting months to take delivery and the recent price drops + tax credit are starting to get to me. I'm thinking of just downgrading to an older car for the time being (like old Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander).

I want to see if this is a good idea or how underwater I am on the car after paying like $50k after taxes and fees. And with the redesigned Model 3 coming out soon I fear prices might drop more. Ultimately I want to get a Cybertruck but I'll wait years after the launch vehicles and also watch how that pricing situation plays out.
IMHO, the damage is done. Selling now and buying something different won't reverse that, unfortunately.
I think your best bet is to keep the car, and drive it. Unless there are other reasons for selling than the financial ones you quoted ...

Reactions: EatsShoots

For what it's worth Carvana offered $24k for my 2023 Model 3 LFP SR with 12k miles on it about a month ago and a few days ago sent another email saying they will now give $27.5k. I don't plan on selling but was curious.

In the long run, if you believe in the EV revolution, Teslas will hold value the best since people will be expecting gasoline cars to be phased out and other EV brands just aren't as good. The massive price drop was due to the temporary shortage of materials induced by Covid being wound down - price levels today are consistent with price levels from early 2020, if you don't count the federal tax rebate. Both the Covid un-doing and the IRA credit implementation are one-time events. You should not expect Tesla prices to drop significantly in the future. The damage is already done.

Anyone else notice that there's an apparent error with the MY inventory filters? I've been primariliy focusing on M3 searches and haven't looked at the MY in a long time. You can't currently build a AWD MY that is not LR. So I don't know why this filter exists. But it's not working either. Changes coming???
1699301341389.png

Interest rates (at least for the M3 72 months or less) have gone from 6.5% to 6.69%.

Does anyone know what fees are associated with loans? I'm wondering if we should buy on our HELOC instead even though the interest rate is a little higher. If there are fees associated with either the creation of the loan or the payoff of the loan, I may opt to pay cash with our HELOC. At least those rates are likely to go down when the fed reduces rates too. Might go up, but might go down.

Reactions: Dayreg
Is this something that we do not yet see on the websites? And for what models and/or features? Sorry I may be dense, but see this comment as pretty ambiguous.
They are referring to a recent pricing actions not so thing in the pipe. Just have to keep an eye out. There is a price tracker sheet out there. Tesla Car Price History

You can also look at the tesla-info.com site for inventory levels.

My unprofessional read is that we are seeing inventory (MY specific) trending up while we are heading into the end of the year. The recent $500 bump was probably to shake the FOMO out but honestly I see more price cuts (or incentives) coming. The first of the year is also going to see some increased demand with the credit coming off the top.

Its a crap auto market and getting worse. I think tesla is best suited to weather it since they have done the hard work of gathering good product margins.

We shall see....

Reactions: mknmike