Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting a default EDD range that corresponds to the current new order EDD range is pretty common in situations where you take an order off hold. But it usually will update in 24-48hrs. There is also a thing where just before some people get assigned a VIN their EDD resets to that generic new order range. Usually if that happens a VIN is assigned within 24hrs. Your SA is correct and her system will show her your soft date so I'm sure you'll have your VIN very soon...probably today.
Still patiently waiting. I’ve been expecting the edit config button to disappear but it’s still active too. I just hope I’m not an edge case in their system.

I think we're all looking for patterns in the noise, but it's way too complex of a situation for us to find any real patterns based on a few dozen people in this thread and others when there are at least 500 of these things being cranked out of two sites in the US every day. From vehicle shipping logistics, parts availability, various production runs, vehicle storage capacity at various sites, staffing capacity at delivery centers, customer cancelations, order changes, quality control diversions, etc, etc. We just don't have enough data for any claim of "this geographic area, option set, order date, etc. is getting priority!" to be based on anything but a few anecdotes and a wild guess.

Yes but one thing is for sure, Tesla is not going by order date which is disrespectful.

I think we're all looking for patterns in the noise, but it's way too complex of a situation for us to find any real patterns based on a few dozen people in this thread and others when there are at least 500 of these things being cranked out of two sites in the US every day. From vehicle shipping logistics, parts availability, various production runs, vehicle storage capacity at various sites, staffing capacity at delivery centers, customer cancelations, order changes, quality control diversions, etc, etc. We just don't have enough data for any claim of "this geographic area, option set, order date, etc. is getting priority!" to be based on anything but a few anecdotes and a wild guess.

So true, but it's fun to speculate. And we also learn to navigate the world of Tesla.

Here's another coincidence or maybe not. About 10 days ago, I changed my MYLR order from white to black interior. That evening my EDD changed from Jan-Mar to 2/21 - 3/21. It hasn't changed since. My OD is 1/18/2023.

Tesla predicts that they'll produce 2 million vehicles worldwide this year, which is over 5,600 per day.

Reactions: YisPatHere
I assumed the edit button went away once you get a VIN, are there people who don't get a VIN and the edit button disappears?
Edit button for me went away fairly early. Cash, no trade, nothing complicated on my account. Poof...gone. People are able to get it back by switching to financing and having financing details incomplete. It also may just be based on time as I don't know exactly when my disappeared but it was certainly gone after the 1st month and never returned for the next 6.5 months of my wait.

• Helpful
Reactions: chobra
Nobody really knows when it will be or what the guidance will look like compared to what is written in the bill, save for maybe a few staff at the IRS. Almost every article I can find seems to interpret the expected change as going into effect in March, yet this article from Forbes, which is the most thorough I've seen and was clearly written by a person who actually read and understood the IRS white paper, seems to indicate that because of the disruptive nature of the proposed guidance, they expect a 60-day comment period after the guidance is released before anything goes into effect. No guarantee that this person is right, but I think as a corporate tax professional and former law clerk, she makes a compelling argument that there probably won't be any effective change until late spring or early summer. Still, it's a gamble.

Even when it does change, remember that the change is $3750, not the full $7500.

to add to the confusion, it says just the notice of proposed rulemaking will axe the 3750 credit.

Treasury and the IRS plan to issue a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in March 2023 that will trigger the applicability of those requirements.

my delivery is in mar10 - mar31 so i've already made up my mind that i will be only getting half the credit. if i get full then its icing on the cake.

to add to the confusion, it says just the notice of proposed rulemaking will axe the 3750 credit.

my delivery is in mar10 - mar31 so i've already made up my mind that i will be only getting half the credit. if i get full then its icing on the cake.
that's the right mind set, set low expectations so that you're not unpleasantly surprised

Yes but one thing is for sure, Tesla is not going by order date which is disrespectful.
I can see how it might feel that way, but consider the scale of the business we're talking about and the added logistics, time, and ultimately costs that would be incurred if it were done that way. There would be a lot more mistakes on the assembly line if vehicles were produced in the random order that they were requested, instead of organized into logical productions runs with common features. There would need to be a lot more car haulers taking much smaller payloads, because the odds of a batch of consecutive orders going to the same place would be incredibly low. If a defect were found in final quality control, the gap in the line would throw everything off. If a customer didn't fill out their profile, the rest of the world would have to wait until they could be reached. If a customer rejected a car because of a minor paint scuff that was buffed out in 30 seconds, it would have to be shipped across the country to be delivered to the next person who ordered that exact spec, instead of just delivered to someone locally who ordered the same spec a few days later. Obviously these are all extreme examples, but think of all of the limitations to getting hundreds of cars per day delivered, then consider how much harder it would be if everything had to be kept in nearly the exact order that it was submitted.

Even in a case where someone had the same order date, same delivery location, same specs, their time to completion of their profile can affect their order priority. If one person applied for Tesla Financing and the other took three business days to get approved by their credit union, that's enough to make a big difference in VIN assignment. I specifically asked my SA if there is anything I can do to ensure the fastest delivery, and that was his #1 suggestion, get the profile completed in full immediately. He also said more options gets slightly higher priority. Unfortunately it was a holiday weekend, so I couldn't apply for financing until Tuesday. Even though I was approved instantly, that probably put me behind many people who were fine with Tesla's rates, or were paying cash and linked their bank account showing that the funds were available. I don't feel disrespected, it's just business.

• Helpful
Reactions: chobra and Cyclone