Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so I took delivery today!

OD: 1/14, Vin: 1/15, produced 1/16. Delivery appt on 1/21. Took delivery 2/1 at Tesla in Springfield, NJ

In short, the experience was great, and the drive home was nothing short of magical. I concur with the previous posters about how it's almost comically life-changing. It was a *sugar*-ton of money to fork over, but no regrets. (And let's hope it stays that way!).

Overall, it was fairly low-stress, which is good, because I'm still exhausted :p

I did bring a checklist and am glad I did, but I certainly wasn't waving it around. This is it: GitHub - polymorphic/tesla-model-y-checklist: Checklist for Tesla Model Y

So, on my way there I got a text instructing me to go find my car, and then to accept the terms to unlock the vehicle. I found the car almost immediately, it was the first VIN I checked with the new deliveries around the side of the building.

We spent a good deal of time looking it over. 20-30 min? It was nice to be able to compare my car to so many others just like it. When I opened the app to "Accept Terms" so I could inspect the interior, the button was gray - clearly I had to pay first :) I went inside and I explained/asked, nicely, that I'd like to inspect inside the car before I took delivery (as I slid over the check), and she said that was no problem, you can inspect the interior before taking delivery. (Guess my charm worked? Or maybe I'm a sucker!)

Now for the "issues" I saw... and I put that in quotations because I don't feel these were deal-breakers. I agreed to schedule service and deal with them post delivery.

The list:
  • Condensation - meh, this went away
  • Grease/dirt on the driver a-pillar - toothbrush and some spray should take this right out in a few seconds
  • Rear-window - kept going back down when it got to the top, like the pinch protection was mis-calibrated. When I tried it once after I got home, it worked fine 🤷‍♂️
  • Rocker panels - meh, okay, so they were are a little off - maybe I will try to get that addressed, though not sure how they would.
  • Scratches/Scuffs - this was is probably the "biggest" concern, because I don't think it's easy to fix. I'm not sure how/if they could handle this, or if it qualifies as a "manufacturing defect", but when the SA came out to help show me how to properly close the frunk, she acknowledged it and started to say she could take a picture. I probably should have let her. But, I said I already had and she said great, then you just make an appointment in the app and upload them.

Now, I don't know how plausible it is that these will all be addressed because, when I was scheduling service, I clicked on the "Learn more" button, to read this: "General appearance concerns are not covered by your vehicle warranty unless related to a manufacturing defect. Please refer to the exclusions section of your vehicle warranty for details."

See for yourself - I'm not sure how much of a stink to make about this stuff - I'm pretty easy going. The scratches were not easily noticeable on the passenger front quarter panel, and a very small scuff on the hood. But, it was a nice sunny day at around noon, and it was still hard to notice these and the pics make them look more obvious. That said, you could definitely see it in the right light. I said I'm not trying to be (or hoping) I'm not being too picky but she understood completely. It was a very cordial, friendly and reasonable interaction. (But we'll also see what redress I have, realistically.) To put it another way, if I was told bluntly, "yeah, sorry, but we're not gonna address any of that stuff" would I have accepted the car? Would you?? Hard to say for me... let's see what service says, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic. Tesla might be counting on my cares melting away on the drive home, and that isn't far off 🙃

That's it! Full report as promised. I'm thrilled with the car! Now if I can only get my charger setup without electrocuting myself... mobile charger arrives tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for all the guidance and support.

Good luck to everyone!

Attachments

• Condensation.jpg
    Condensation.jpg
    747.1 KB · Views: 165
  • Grease.jpg
    Grease.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 120
  • HoodScuff.jpg
    HoodScuff.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 121
  • QPScratches.jpg
    QPScratches.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 124
  • RearWindow.jpg
    RearWindow.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 117
  • RockerPanels.jpg
    RockerPanels.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 119

OD: 1/14, Vin: 1/15, produced 1/16. Delivery appt on 1/21. Took delivery 2/1 at Tesla in Springfield, NJ

In short, the experience was great, and the drive home was nothing short of magical. I concur with the previous posters about how it's almost comically life-changing. It was a *sugar*-ton of money to fork over, but no regrets. (And let's hope it stays that way!).

Overall, it was fairly low-stress, which is good, because I'm still exhausted :p

I did bring a checklist and am glad I did, but I certainly wasn't waving it around. This is it: GitHub - polymorphic/tesla-model-y-checklist: Checklist for Tesla Model Y

So, on my way there I got a text instructing me to go find my car, and then to accept the terms to unlock the vehicle. I found the car almost immediately, it was the first VIN I checked with the new deliveries around the side of the building.

We spent a good deal of time looking it over. 20-30 min? It was nice to be able to compare my car to so many others just like it. When I opened the app to "Accept Terms" so I could inspect the interior, the button was gray - clearly I had to pay first :) I went inside and I explained/asked, nicely, that I'd like to inspect inside the car before I took delivery (as I slid over the check), and she said that was no problem, you can inspect the interior before taking delivery. (Guess my charm worked? Or maybe I'm a sucker!)

Now for the "issues" I saw... and I put that in quotations because I don't feel these were deal-breakers. I agreed to schedule service and deal with them post delivery.

The list:
  • Grease/dirt on the driver a-pillar - toothbrush and some spray should take this right out in a few seconds
  • Rear-window - kept going back down when it got to the top, like the pinch protection was mis-calibrated. When I tried it once after I got home, it worked fine 🤷‍♂️
  • Rocker panels - meh, okay, so they were are a little off - maybe I will try to get that addressed, though not sure how they would.
  • Scratches/Scuffs - this was is probably the "biggest" concern, because I don't think it's easy to fix. I'm not sure how/if they could handle this, or if it qualifies as a "manufacturing defect", but when the SA came out to help show me how to properly close the frunk, she acknowledged it and started to say she could take a picture. I probably should have let her. But, I said I already had and she said great, then you just make an appointment in the app and upload them.

Now, I don't know how plausible it is that these will all be addressed because, when I was scheduling service, I clicked on the "Learn more" button, to read this: "General appearance concerns are not covered by your vehicle warranty unless related to a manufacturing defect. Please refer to the exclusions section of your vehicle warranty for details."

See for yourself - I'm not sure how much of a stink to make about this stuff - I'm pretty easy going. The scratches were not easily noticeable on the passenger front quarter panel, and a very small scuff on the hood. But, it was a nice sunny day at around noon, and it was still hard to notice these and the pics make them look more obvious. That said, you could definitely see it in the right light. I said I'm not trying to be (or hoping) I'm not being too picky but she understood completely. It was a very cordial, friendly and reasonable interaction. (But we'll also see what redress I have, realistically.) To put it another way, if I was told bluntly, "yeah, sorry, but we're not gonna address any of that stuff" would I have accepted the car? Would you?? Hard to say for me... let's see what service says, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic. Tesla might be counting on my cares melting away on the drive home, and that isn't far off 🙃

That's it! Full report as promised. I'm thrilled with the car! Now if I can only get my charger setup without electrocuting myself... mobile charger arrives tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone!
That’s a great checklist! Thanks for sharing

The list:

Good luck to everyone!
Boy, looking at the pictures gives me heart palpitations. I am picking up tomorrow and most likely will reject the car with the same blemishes. Congratulations on the new car.

Reactions: jose3030
Model Y White/Black LR, 5 seat, all standard no modifications
OD: 1/23/2023
Original EDD: Jan-Mar 2023
New EDD (1/31): Feb 27 - Mar 31 2023
Delivery location: Dallas Metro

Thoughts in this group on when VIN assignment might happen?
I have a very similar build to yours, just with White interior. My OD was the 25th and received an EDD of March 23-31st. I live in Fort Worth.

From what I have been able to see from other posts, either here or on Reddit, those who order their vehicles with the 20 inch rims are having early EDDs, as early as the first two weeks of February.

• Informative
Reactions: jose3030

The list:

Good luck to everyone!
i could live with all of them except for that giant gap...hopefully its the angle but that looks pretty bad.

The list:

Good luck to everyone!
Austin or Fremont?

The list:

Good luck to everyone!
That gap doesn't look like something passable. I would have rejected the car.

That's a good sign maybe. My coworker had their EDD change from a 4 or 5 week window to a 2 week window and they got a vin shortly after.
In my case (and probably the same for the rest of the Tesla anticipants) once my delivery time changed from the generic Jan-Mar window to a more specific window is when the car was manufactured. Mine has changed on Jan 19 to Jan 30-Feb 27 delivery window and I learned that the car was produced on Jan 19.

That gap doesn't look like something passable. I would have rejected the car.
Passenger is a little worse, but still don't think it's terrible. Any redress? (Should I care to do anything about it?) I guess we'll see what service says.

Attachments

• PassengerRocker.jpg
    PassengerRocker.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 122
  • DriverSideRocker2.jpg
    DriverSideRocker2.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 111
  • DriverSideRocker.jpg
    DriverSideRocker.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 114
Boy, looking at the pictures gives me heart palpitations. I am picking up tomorrow and most likely will reject the car with the same blemishes. Congratulations on the new car.
Honestly, they are pretty hard to see. I went out to my garage just now and tried to get a picture of it. You can barely see them and only in the right light. If it's cloudy or rainy, forget about it. I looked for the scuff, I couldn't locate it! Anything you see in those pictures is NOT what you see in the ones I posted from delivery. Relax LOL.

Attachments

• Hood1.jpg
    Hood1.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 118
  • Hood2.jpg
    Hood2.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 115
  • Hood3.jpg
    Hood3.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: geekfam