Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so I took delivery today!

OD: 1/14, Vin: 1/15, produced 1/16. Delivery appt on 1/21. Took delivery 2/1 at Tesla in Springfield, NJ

In short, the experience was great, and the drive home was nothing short of magical. I concur with the previous posters about how it's almost comically life-changing. It was a *sugar*-ton of money to fork over, but no regrets. (And let's hope it stays that way!).

Overall, it was fairly low-stress, which is good, because I'm still exhausted :p

I did bring a checklist and am glad I did, but I certainly wasn't waving it around. This is it: GitHub - polymorphic/tesla-model-y-checklist: Checklist for Tesla Model Y

So, on my way there I got a text instructing me to go find my car, and then to accept the terms to unlock the vehicle. I found the car almost immediately, it was the first VIN I checked with the new deliveries around the side of the building.

We spent a good deal of time looking it over. 20-30 min? It was nice to be able to compare my car to so many others just like it. When I opened the app to "Accept Terms" so I could inspect the interior, the button was gray - clearly I had to pay first :) I went inside and I explained/asked, nicely, that I'd like to inspect inside the car before I took delivery (as I slid over the check), and she said that was no problem, you can inspect the interior before taking delivery. (Guess my charm worked? Or maybe I'm a sucker!)

Now for the "issues" I saw... and I put that in quotations because I don't feel these were deal-breakers. I agreed to schedule service and deal with them post delivery.

The list:
  • Condensation - meh, this went away
  • Grease/dirt on the driver a-pillar - toothbrush and some spray should take this right out in a few seconds
  • Rear-window - kept going back down when it got to the top, like the pinch protection was mis-calibrated. When I tried it once after I got home, it worked fine 🤷‍♂️
  • Rocker panels - meh, okay, so they were are a little off - maybe I will try to get that addressed, though not sure how they would.
  • Scratches/Scuffs - this was is probably the "biggest" concern, because I don't think it's easy to fix. I'm not sure how/if they could handle this, or if it qualifies as a "manufacturing defect", but when the SA came out to help show me how to properly close the frunk, she acknowledged it and started to say she could take a picture. I probably should have let her. But, I said I already had and she said great, then you just make an appointment in the app and upload them.

Now, I don't know how plausible it is that these will all be addressed because, when I was scheduling service, I clicked on the "Learn more" button, to read this: "General appearance concerns are not covered by your vehicle warranty unless related to a manufacturing defect. Please refer to the exclusions section of your vehicle warranty for details."

See for yourself - I'm not sure how much of a stink to make about this stuff - I'm pretty easy going. The scratches were not easily noticeable on the passenger front quarter panel, and a very small scuff on the hood. But, it was a nice sunny day at around noon, and it was still hard to notice these and the pics make them look more obvious. That said, you could definitely see it in the right light. I said I'm not trying to be (or hoping) I'm not being too picky but she understood completely. It was a very cordial, friendly and reasonable interaction. (But we'll also see what redress I have, realistically.) To put it another way, if I was told bluntly, "yeah, sorry, but we're not gonna address any of that stuff" would I have accepted the car? Would you?? Hard to say for me... let's see what service says, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic. Tesla might be counting on my cares melting away on the drive home, and that isn't far off 🙃

That's it! Full report as promised. I'm thrilled with the car! Now if I can only get my charger setup without electrocuting myself... mobile charger arrives tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for all the guidance and support.

Good luck to everyone!
As far as the gap in the rocker panel goes, did you try firmly pressing on the area where it’s gapped?
My M3 had the same issue and I didn’t notice it until I got home from the DC. I just laid on the garage floor and gave it a firm push in that area and it popped into place. Hasn’t popped back out since and it’s been 2 years.

UPDATE: EDD updated to 2/15 to 2/21

Got my VIN overnight (Austin). When I checked at 6 am there was no VIN. At 7 am VIN appeared online, and at 8 am Tesla texted me with my VIN (still no email). I was actually about to write that Tesla did not contact me about the VIN and then I got the text. So it definitely takes a few hours to get the notification about your VIN being assigned.

Red/black/5 seat/Gemini coming from ATX -> BOS

Last edited:
VIN assigned this morning (2/3) no delivery date offered yet but updated EDD to 2/17-2/24
Fremont build

Checked my app and noticed the date change and was disappointed until I looked up and saw the VIN. 2 mins later, the text came through. Have to upload insurance card but how if I don't have a delivery date?

Still waiting on my VIN as well
MYLR/White/white/19”
OD 1/13
OEDD 1/29-2/26
Updated EED 2/9-2/23
Located in NY

VIN assigned this morning (2/3) no delivery date offered yet but updated EDD to 2/17-2/24
Fremont build

Checked my app and noticed the date change and was disappointed until I looked up and saw the VIN. 2 mins later, the text came through. Have to upload insurance card but how if I don't have a delivery date?
Call your insurance company and tell them to add the car to your policy starting 2/17/23 since that is the first date of your EDD. When you receive your schedule delivery text, if it’s near this date just leave it alone but if it’s like way off then just call your insurance company and change the starting date.
My EDD was 2/5/23-2/12/23, so I started the insurance on 2/5 and picking up the car on 2/7.

White MY Performanxe w/ Black interior and tow hitch
Located in BC, 🇨🇦 but delivery to Alberta, 🇨🇦
Ordered: Jan 14, 2023 @ 2:05 pm MT
Original EDD: Jan - Feb 2033
EDD updated Jan 18: Feb 3 - Mar 3, 2033
EDD updated Jan 23: TBD ☹️

Since I still see TBD and no VIN I texted the Advisor # yesterday. They responded within 1/2 hour and said their system shows EDD: Feb 7 - Mar 5, 2023.

Fremont build

I just uploaded the insurance for my current car and it hasn’t been an issue. I’ll get the new car added once I have a firm delivery date scheduled.

For those who aren’t about to get their orders and picked an option they didn’t prefer to stay under the IRS limit, fyi that all Ys have retroactively moved to $80k for the limit.

We still don’t know about going past March for delivery, but if you wanted red with white seats, you can now get that.

Call your insurance company and tell them to add the car to your policy starting 2/17/23 since that is the first date of your EDD. When you receive your schedule delivery text, if it’s near this date just leave it alone but if it’s like way off then just call your insurance company and change the starting date.
My EDD was 2/5/23-2/12/23, so I started the insurance on 2/5 and picking up the car on 2/7.
In my state, it is mandatory for all insurers to cover a newly purchased car on an existing policy. This may differ in other states. I just uploaded a jpeg of my current policy insurance card to Tesla.

Reactions: WyoDude
For those who aren’t about to get their orders and picked an option they didn’t prefer to stay under the IRS limit, fyi that all Ys have retroactively moved to $80k for the limit.

We still don’t know about going past March for delivery, but if you wanted red with white seats, you can now get that.

Wait whaaaat?? Is it possible that it's an omission? That mean performance and local stop can now be had with tax "rebate" if qualified?

Reactions: KangThe

Thanks for the info! dang! I could've ordered MYP...

Screenshot_20230203-095256.png

Was just coming here to add this!

Reactions: hp1234
Makes it super tempting to change to a performance vehicle... but I'm happier with 19s than 21s frankly for the price delta, There is no real difference other than the fake red brake caliper cover and tweaked acceleration profile. I currently have a Performance Model 3 and I really don't hit the accelerator that much.. In fact it kindof sucks to constantly be holding back because if I do hit the accelerator I just am blowing by everyone like a maniac and up to speed way too quickly... almost more fun to be able to push your foot to the floor it in a less powerful car I think.... but I'm kinda weird.

• Funny
Reactions: Sohaib89 and PewPew

Are you sure that the IRS page used to say $55k? Because a 7 seater always had the $80k limit. Are you sure it's $80k for the 5 seater?
Tesla's site:

The vehicle price at time of delivery must not exceed the following caps. This price includes optional equipment physically attached to the vehicle at the time of delivery and excludes software features, accessories, taxes and fees.
  1. Model 3: $55,000
  2. Model Y with 5 seats: $55,000
  3. Model Y with 7 seats: $80,000

Makes it super tempting to change to a performance vehicle... but I'm happier with 19s than 21s frankly for the price delta, I currently have a Performance Model 3 and I really don't hit the accelerator that much.. In fact it kindof sucks to constantly be holding back because if I do hit the accelerator I just am blowing by everyone like a maniac and up to speed way too quickly... almost more fun to be able to push your foot to the floor it in a less powerful car I think.... but I'm kinda weird.
You can always order the acceleration boost option after delivery. It’s $2k and unlocks some performance. It looks like it drops 0.8s for 0-60, which should also translate to other performance boosts beyond just that stat.

Reactions: cbutters