Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So maybe people can offer me some advice. Placed an order for a MYLR on 1/26 and currently have a EDD of Mar 20-31st . When I heard the new IRS tax rule I wanted to upgrade but could not get to an service advisor quickly and didn’t know I could make that change so I placed a new order for a MYP (nothing was available for quick delivery at that time). My order for the MYP says Feb-Mar. So question is what do I do? Option 1: upgrade my MYLR to a MYP and hope I don’t have to pay the new price but maybe I get it faster based on my earlier order date Option 2: sit tight on the two orders and see what comes in first and make the call then?

MYLR White/Black/no options/19”
OD: 1/23
EDD: Mar 16-Mar 31 (updated 1/26)
Feb 7- Feb 16 ( updated 2/4)
Vin: Feb 4

Called Tesla and was able to get matched with one on its way from inventory. Looks like it's an Austin build.
No fair! That's exactly what I ordered three days before you. That should be mine! Haha! :)

My EDD is still sitting at March 3 - March 31.

Hopefully, some more folks who ordered this configuration will change to something else freeing one up for me. ;)

Reactions: bdhaduk
I was told on 2/1 at one of the test drive/ repair / delivery places that a basic config White w/ 19's and black interior would be delivered the fastest. Is that true who the heck knows. I have a long range ordered, if I was guaranteed a Performance in March I would switch. I also put down I am paying cash as I was told that get's faster delivery. I really don't want to pay cash but I can if need be. I did this with my Lexus paid cash and got a unsecured loan for way less % as me and wife both have 800+ fico 9 and solid financials.

I actually think the full $7500 will run until end of April or May if not longer. I have no information on this, just my opinion. The IRS and gov are always slow, they raised the price cap so Ford and GM could sell more cars. The IRS and Feds know that Ford and GM won't be able to deliver vehicles by end of march. The Biden admin claims to be green and want's electric cars, it's a bad look on them if they reduce peoples ability to buy them by reducing the tax credit. Hopefully the IRS is slammed w/ tax returns and announces they haven't come to a conclusion and will have further guidance in April or May.

Reactions: Cyclone and sdq_11
Guys,

I placed order or 1/31 and changed color from gray to blue on 2/1 and at that point it was showing my delivery date to be Feb-March but now i checked the date and it is showing March - May. Meaning i may not get federal credit. I was in the process to filling out all paperwork today.

I am not sure how to processed with it. I really want to get the Tesla Y with federal and state credit (NJ).

Should I just fill out all the loan forms and see how it plays out ? I don't want to loose federal credit and buy the car......

Let me know your thoughts
I ordered it on 1/25 and changed my order on 1/31 , now my EDD is April 9- May 21st.
Federal tax credits of $7500 not going to expired on March 31st , it may be extended or increase or change the guidelines in the terms of battery componenten etc. I am willing to loose $250 if they d/c federal credit after March 31st which is highly unlikely.. I am from NJ too

I ordered it on 1/25 and changed my order on 1/31 , now my EDD is April 9- May 21st.
Federal tax credits of $7500 not going to expired on March 31st , it may be extended or increase or change the guidelines in the terms of battery componenten etc. I am willing to loose $250 if they d/c federal credit after March 31st which is highly unlikely.. I am from NJ too

I ordered my MyLR on 01/13 And got a delivery date as 02/04. When I went in to take the delivery, not happy with issues with the quality, I told them I am rejecting the car and will wait for the next car. We left the show room, the Service man didn't say I need to do anything, he assured all the information will be transferred to the new vehicle. After coming home I got an email about the hold on the vehicle, got confused it should say rejected delivery and should wait for new VIN assignment?

The message read as follows..

This order cannot be placed on hold again. If you are unable to take delivery of the next available vehicle, your order will be canceled.

If you are ready to take delivery, go to your Tesla Account and tap 'Remove Hold'. You will receive an update when your vehicle is available.

What should I do here ? What are my next steps ? Any input appreciated..

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct. And for those who have asked about or responded on the battery component requirements, this is according to the IRS IRA FAQ:

Q4. Do the new critical mineral and battery components requirements apply? (added December 29, 2022)
A4. Not yet. The critical mineral and battery component requirements under § 30D(e) will apply for vehicles placed in service after proposed guidance on these requirements is issued. The publication of these FAQs is not the issuance of proposed guidance with respect to the critical mineral and battery component requirements under § 30D(e) and does not trigger the applicability of those requirements. The Treasury Department and the IRS will explicitly identify when they have issued proposed guidance with respect to the critical mineral and battery component requirements under § 30D(e). However, vehicles ordered or purchased prior to but placed in service after Treasury and the IRS issue this proposed guidance will be subject to the critical mineral and battery component requirements. This proposed guidance is expected to be issued in March 2023.

In other words, if you take delivery of the vehicle before the proposed guidelines are issued some time in March 2023, you will receive the full Federal tax credit as long as you meet the other requirements (e.g. MAGI, vehicle eligibility, etc.).
Thank you for this clarification. I hope they further delay this guidance or postpone this requirement in order to give Tesla and other manufacturers the opportunity to comply.

Thank you for this clarification. I hope they further delay this guidance or postpone this requirement in order to give Tesla and other manufacturers the opportunity to comply.
IMO if the IRS intended to publish restrictive battery component requirements next month, they would not have updated SUVs to cover Ford Mach-E, VW ID.4, Cadillac Lyriq, and Model Y just days ago..

So maybe people can offer me some advice. Placed an order for a MYLR on 1/26 and currently have a EDD of Mar 20-31st . When I heard the new IRS tax rule I wanted to upgrade but could not get to an service advisor quickly and didn’t know I could make that change so I placed a new order for a MYP (nothing was available for quick delivery at that time). My order for the MYP says Feb-Mar. So question is what do I do? Option 1: upgrade my MYLR to a MYP and hope I don’t have to pay the new price but maybe I get it faster based on my earlier order date Option 2: sit tight on the two orders and see what comes in first and make the call then?

I was in similar situation and chose option 1 and changed LR to P as OD is preserved

I was in similar situation and chose option 1 and changed LR to P as OD is preserved
So did you do that before or after the price increase? Ie did the price increase but as your original order date predated any price increases they gave you the old MYP price?

I ordered my MyLR on 01/13 And got a delivery date as 02/04. When I went in to take the delivery, not happy with issues with the quality, I told them I am rejecting the car and will wait for the next car. We left the show room, the Service man didn't say I need to do anything, he assured all the information will be transferred to the new vehicle. After coming home I got an email about the hold on the vehicle, got confused it should say rejected delivery and should wait for new VIN assignment?
Hi guys, any one has any input ?

MYLR White/Black/no options/19”
OD: 1/23
EDD: Mar 16-Mar 31 (updated 1/26)
Feb 7- Feb 16 ( updated 2/4)
Vin: Feb 4

Called Tesla and was able to get matched with one on its way from inventory. Looks like it's an Austin build.
you are lucky and might be the first person with OD after 01/19 with a VIN assigned. My OD is 01/20 and I am still waiting anxiously :)