Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been the biggest adjustment for me in the Tesla buying experience: dealing with these desperate know-nothing influencers simping 24-hrs a day for Tesla itself, or hyping hot garbage from Alibaba at a 6x markup pretending that they're all miracle products. It's honestly much more difficult to get trustworthy useful information about this car than anything else I've driven. The influencer content completely drowns out everything else.
Ha!! I couldn't agree with you more here! It's super annoying!

I wish there was a sticky thread here with "trusted" info/accessories, but the link change all the time so maybe not plausible.

Reactions: YisPatHere
Well… change of plans. After the IRS announcement this morning, I kept browsing the local inventory and I stumbled across a dark gray model y performance.

MYP Dark Gray 21” wheels
OD 2/3/23
EDD 2/3-2/10
Fremont VIN
Ordered a mobile connector on 1/17, we placed the initial order for MYLR on 1/16. We're picking up the MYP today. The mobile connector still hasn't shipped, but they did ship a Gen 2 NEMA Adapter 6-50 today, still no word on the actual mobile connector. When I talked to the SC yesterday they mentioned the mobile connectors are back ordered. Good thing Tesla shipped out the Wall Connector right away, and we had it installed same week.

Last edited:
OD 1/13 for a midnight gray / black / gemini.

Due to some financials, I wasn't ready to take the delivery and asked the SA to put my order on hold on Jan 20. The hold expired on Feb 2nd, but I still don't see an EDD on the app or on the webpage. The app says "We'll notify you when it's time to continue with your pre-delivery tasks" and the web shows Estimated delivery: TBD. Is this normal? How long does it generally take until the status updates after a hold?
Anyone had a similar experience? Keep refreshing the webpage with no luck.

OD: 1/17 Late Evening
Model Y LR
White w/ Blk Interior & Induction Wheels
Initial: Jan-Mar
EDD updated on 1/19: Feb14-Mar 21
No VIN
Virginia
Changed to Blue with Induction wheels after the recent tax credit MSRP limit change.

Received VIN on 2/3
EDD updated to 2/6 - 2/10
Given pickup options for 2/8 or 2/9
Picked scheduled for 2/8

Not bad, 23 days from order to delivery and got lucky with the lowest Y LR price in quite a while!

Reactions: geekfam and NJ08809
Update!!
MYLR W/B/no adds
OD: 1/14
EDD: Jan-March
EDD: 1/31-2/28
EDD: 2/10-2/24
EDD (on 2/6): 2/17-2/27
VIN (on 2/6): Fremont!

Now trying to find insurance -- anyone have good experience with Nationwide or State Farm? I think they will be the two least expensive (in WI).
Yes Good question, Folks out there with previous Tesla owner experience- Who has the best prices on Insurance for Tesla's? Is Teslas own Insurance offering competitive? Wondering if Farm Bureau will be More?

I see what people mean about needing an actual VIN number. I can not get an accurate quote from my insurer until it has been issued.

Last edited:
Reactions: nerdybirdy12
After much consternation and reading and more consternating, I decided to do a full frontal wrap package with AutoCorrect detailing in Augusta, NJ. I had never heard of them (or PPF before buying a Tesla!), but they have outstanding reviews and as luck would have it, pretty close by, which is huge. I requested a quote from the website, and I can attest to the accuracy of the reviews as far as the owner being extremely responsive via text and answering questions over the phone, etc, which made me feel good about it. I'm hopeful the work will be of high quality, in keeping with what has so far been a high level of service. I dropped the car last night and should be ready Wednesday. I can report back if folks are interested.

It's a lot of money, right around 2k after tax. I won't go into the 12 year warranty, the material, blah blah blah - just go to the website. As far as the cost, I've never spent money on something like this, but as someone else pointed out, I've never spent this much on a car before either, and add to that the paint concerns of Tesla, and I decided to do it, and better to do it now, before I get any chips, etc. (And yeah, feels so wrong giving my new car to strangers I've literally never met for a few days after just taking delivery!)

Still, just knowing I have that extra protection will help me not be so stressed every time I drive the car. Heck, there is a lot of value in that peace of mind alone, at least for me anyway. It would be super annoying to worry about it every time I drove the car on the highway, to the point I'd be thinking about avoiding driving it altogether, which defeats the purpose. I also look forward to it being easier to clean, supposed self-healing properties, etc, so I don't think I'll regret it. I'm looking at my 2015 BMW X1 with a nice giant rock chip all the way down to the bare metal on the hood and the bumper is just beat to hell after only 40k miles. But I got that car used after 30k miles and wasn't that concerned, and never did anything to "keep it up". I'll definitely be looking to stay on top of this car from the start to keep it in great shape.

Overall, I don't think there is a right or wrong decision on this - to each their own. I am inclined, though, to dismiss some "arguments" that it is simply an outright "waste of money". There is just so much to consider. I'm by no means OCD about how my car looks, and not interested in detailing it every month or whatever, but all things considered, seems like a reasonable way to protect a new car that I hope to have for many years to come. Time will tell.

Cheers,
PS. Got my Tesla Wall Connector installed myself this weekend, without getting electrocuted, woohoo! :)

I am that OCD person when it comes to detailing my cars. :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: jhirsch123
Does anyone else from Seattle/PNW feel like our VIN assignments are behind schedule compared to other markets? I'm watching everyone's announcements based on their order date and configuration, and it seems like Seattle is behind schedule. I'd love to be wrong about this!
I've got VIN assigned today 6 Feb.
MYLR/White/Black/19
OD 1/14 Seattle Area, WA
EDD:
  • 1/14 January-March
  • 1/18 updated to 1/26-2/9 :p
  • 1/27 updated to 2/6-3/6 :oops:
No VIN yet

Seems like I need to temper my expectations because assigned EDD range evidently doesn't mean much and can change any time. Hoping to get delivery before the end of March 🤞

Updates:
2/5
- EDD updated to 2/6-2/20
2/6
- EDD updated to 2/6-2/16
- VIN assigned (Fremont build)
- Pickup options 2/11 or 2/14
- Scheduled pickup 2/11

I cant get anyone from Tesla to answer me. I tried calling Tesla via the text message you get, and the box says its text only, but they give you a number to call and guess what? That voicemail box is full. Man, kind of frustrating. Its just general questions about my delivery coming up.
Yes it is real pain. I prefer going to store and talk to them for things I can't do online. I'm from Dallas.

Reactions: Spinkick
I do not intend to polish my car because its brand new. So I just need to clean it with iron/tar remover, clay and diluted alcohol and apply the ceramic coating. Most detailers do polish even brand new cars but as per my research, its not really needed for a brand new car unless the paint job from the factory is bad.
So right, plus, the clearcoat is hardest at the top. Polishing just removes some of that and makes soft paint, softer. Plus how long is it going to be optically perfect in normal driving conditions? Just doesnt make sense. I am doing the same as you.

Reactions: Sohaib89