Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you Orisun for the info, it looks Tower FCU 2.24% is for 32 Months. Applying for 60 months, still 2.99% is far cheaper than what Wells Fargo offered :) .

I just donated $35 to Tower Care Foundation, in an attempt to get an auto loan from them by becoming their member.

1. Do you know how long does the approval takes to become a member and then get an auto loan?

2. Is it possible to change from cash to creditunion loan at the time of delivery?

Thanks in advance.

I've got VIN assigned today 6 Feb.

Updates:
2/5
- EDD updated to 2/6-2/20
2/6
- EDD updated to 2/6-2/16
- VIN assigned (Fremont build)
- Pickup options 2/11 or 2/14
- Scheduled pickup 2/11
We have the same order date, so you've confirmed my hunch that a VIN could arrive any minute now. It's nice to know the pickup is so quick after the VIN is assigned -- as early as this weekend. Awesome :)

After much consternation and reading and more consternating, I decided to do a full frontal wrap package with AutoCorrect detailing in Augusta, NJ. I had never heard of them (or PPF before buying a Tesla!), but they have outstanding reviews and as luck would have it, pretty close by, which is huge. I requested a quote from the website, and I can attest to the accuracy of the reviews as far as the owner being extremely responsive via text and answering questions over the phone, etc, which made me feel good about it. I'm hopeful the work will be of high quality, in keeping with what has so far been a high level of service. I dropped the car last night and should be ready Wednesday. I can report back if folks are interested.

It's a lot of money, right around 2k after tax. I won't go into the 12 year warranty, the material, blah blah blah - just go to the website. As far as the cost, I've never spent money on something like this, but as someone else pointed out, I've never spent this much on a car before either, and add to that the paint concerns of Tesla, and I decided to do it, and better to do it now, before I get any chips, etc. (And yeah, feels so wrong giving my new car to strangers I've literally never met for a few days after just taking delivery!)

Still, just knowing I have that extra protection will help me not be so stressed every time I drive the car. Heck, there is a lot of value in that peace of mind alone, at least for me anyway. It would be super annoying to worry about it every time I drove the car on the highway, to the point I'd be thinking about avoiding driving it altogether, which defeats the purpose. I also look forward to it being easier to clean, supposed self-healing properties, etc, so I don't think I'll regret it. I'm looking at my 2015 BMW X1 with a nice giant rock chip all the way down to the bare metal on the hood and the bumper is just beat to hell after only 40k miles. But I got that car used after 30k miles and wasn't that concerned, and never did anything to "keep it up". I'll definitely be looking to stay on top of this car from the start to keep it in great shape.

Overall, I don't think there is a right or wrong decision on this - to each their own. I am inclined, though, to dismiss some "arguments" that it is simply an outright "waste of money". There is just so much to consider. I'm by no means OCD about how my car looks, and not interested in detailing it every month or whatever, but all things considered, seems like a reasonable way to protect a new car that I hope to have for many years to come. Time will tell.

Cheers,
PS. Got my Tesla Wall Connector installed myself this weekend, without getting electrocuted, woohoo! :)
Got a few quotes, mostly $2k for full front. I thought to include the lower part of the doors and rocker panels as well, but was told by a shop owner that it's not a good idea for a car in white color. The edge will show up with dirt after a while. So it's either full door coverage or nothing. Good to know.

Reactions: jhirsch123
I just donated $35 to Tower Care Foundation, in an attempt to get an auto loan from them by becoming their member.

1. Do you know how long does the approval takes to become a member and then get an auto loan?

2. Is it possible to change from cash to creditunion loan at the time of delivery?

Thanks in advance.

1. Spoke to Tower FCU customer support, they advised me to donate $35, then Open account and apply for Auto loan. 5 -7 working day

2. Yes, you can, below is the Tesla response when I asked same question.

We just ask that your account is completed & finalized within 48 hours of your scheduled delivery day

own Insurance offering competitive?
While insurance is hard to compare from one person to another, in Illinois Tesla insurance has been super. Was with State Farm, and Tesla cut our insurance by around 60% and we upped liability coverage. This is for full coverage.

Screenshot_20230129-193518.png

Reactions: EpicNguyen
If you're in Idaho Tesla insurance is not available. FYI
Oh Well that narrows it down a little. Thanks, Any thoughts on competitive Idaho insurance offerings?
This is new to me since my other vehicles are all at least 20 years old and just carry liability/ uninsured motorist.

With a new vehicle it just makes sense to pay more and get better coverage. I did reach out to my insurer but they need the VIN and said to take the quote when they "guestimate"
Take it with a grain of salt.

I also posed another question which in the past buying used cars they said you have 3 days to call and add the insurance after a purchase, no worries.
So I asked her what would happen if I bought the car and got into an accident on the way home?
She said I have never been asked that before...

Got a guestimate of $1710 for a year comprehensive/collision, $100 deductible.

Hi -low anyone know?

EDIT so the above comprehensive TESLA provided insurance is $56.07 a month!!!!!
My quote is $142.5 a month, YIKES that is with 5 vehicle discount and No Tickets or claims in over 20 years and also home and property as well..

Last edited:
Got a few quotes, mostly $2k for full front. I thought to include the lower part of the doors and rocker panels as well, but was told by a shop owner that it's not a good idea for a car in white color. The edge will show up with dirt after a while. So it's either full door coverage or nothing. Good to know.
Yup. Makes sense about having a seam with white. Mine is gray but still didn't do it. I think 'performance package' with the lower part of the doors and the tailgate sill was like another $600 maybe? I asked about the seam and they said they sort of follow the curve in the body. Either way, I just had to draw the line somewhere. The hood and bumper take the most abuse. The other commenter on here saying their 4Runner with PPF and still looks great is reassuring that there will be some value to this expense. The PPF brand is Kavaca. Let me know what you decide.

Reactions: NJ08809

If you wash the car, the dirt should come off. You can also ceramic coat the car where a quick rinse will wash away all the dirt off.

While insurance is hard to compare from one person to another, in Illinois Tesla insurance has been super. Was with State Farm, and Tesla cut our insurance by around 60% and we upped liability coverage. This is for full coverage.

View attachment 904014
It's pretty good. Of course, insurance depends on the state. I got a quote from my current insurance company for around $1450 a year, comprehensive/collision included. I have all my properties insured with this company.

Reactions: geekfam
If you wash the car, the dirt should come off. You can also ceramic coat the car where a quick rinse will wash away all the dirt off.
It's one of the questions they asked when I requested a quote. I am a guy saying "do you really need to wash your car regularly?" :) I don't recall that I have ever washed my current two cars since I bought them new 8 years ago. If they look dirty, I just leave them out of the garage in the rain for some time, free car wash. They stay in the garage for most of the time though, as I don't really commute daily.

• Funny
Reactions: jhirsch123
Call to 510 will take hours of waiting time so better text and wait for reply (even this takes hours)
Your SA will be a ghost.
Oh Well that narrows it down a little. Thanks, Any thoughts on competitive Idaho insurance offerings?
This is new to me since my other vehicles are all at least 20 years old and just carry liability/ uninsured motorist.

With a new vehicle it just makes sense to pay more and get better coverage. I did reach out to my insurer but they need the VIN and said to take the quote when they "guestimate"
Take it with a grain of salt.

I also posed another question which in the past buying used cars they said you have 3 days to call and add the insurance after a purchase, no worries.
So I asked her what would happen if I bought the car and got into an accident on the way home?
She said I have never been asked that before...

Got a guestimate of $1710 for a year comprehensive/collision, $100 deductible.

Hi -low anyone know?

EDIT so the above comprehensive TESLA provided insurance is $56.07 a month!!!!!
My quote is $142.5 a month, YIKES that is with 5 vehicle discount and No Tickets or claims in over 20 years and also home and property as well..
159 here for similar stats. Michigan is among the worst in the country, though.

It's one of the questions they asked when I requested a quote. I am a guy saying "do you really need to wash your car regularly?" :) I don't recall that I have ever washed my current two cars since I bought them new 8 years ago. If they look dirty, I just leave them out of the garage in the rain for some time, free car wash. They stay in the garage for most of the time though, as I don't really commute daily.
makes sense!

Does anyone else from Seattle/PNW feel like our VIN assignments are behind schedule compared to other markets? I'm watching everyone's announcements based on their order date and configuration, and it seems like Seattle is behind schedule. I'd love to be wrong about this!
+1.
My personal opinion and observation: I was in the market for a Kia Telluride before ordering Model Y and experienced the same thing with Kia. People in other parts of the country were getting the deliveries earlier than in the PNW area. The wait time for me was around 6-8 months whereas, in Florida, Georgia was getting cars in 1-2 months max.
For the current MYLR order, no update since the last update. EDD Feb 28 - March 31. ODD 1/22 Profile Completion: 1/25